Fear and Loathing in Iraq

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Fear and Loathing in Iraq

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

This is a pretty interesting blog from an Army soldier stuck in Iraq. He is in a combat unit that has been seeing quite a bit of action lately with all of the offensives against insurgents. It is a very open-eyed look into the intense experiences of urban combat.

http://cbftw.blogspot.com/
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Yep. Sounds like a decent American in a warzone.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

man...

Post by Janus Matchell »

That link finally kind of put the whole Iraq war into perspective for me. I have an uncle who just got back but it will be at least 2 more months before I see him. He was in the army and was over there since we invaded initially. I really, really hope they don't drag him back I know he hates going back everytime he gets back on leave. One thing I truly fear is the draft as most of my friends will get sucked in along with some of my family and probably me if I didn't have an f***ed right knee.

Honestly scared,
Janus
Ignore my warnings and pay no heed then your live will be ended shortly indeed!
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

Don't be scared. They wouldn't be stupid enough to reactivate the draft. Or would they? You never know with politicians.
American Tourister
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by American Tourister »

Be afraid, be very afraid. They could definately be stupid enough to reactivate the draft.
"...Curtis Lowe was the finest picker to ever play the blues"
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

Hmm. Was LBJ a republican?

If he was, then that means we have another well meaning (but stupid) Republican in office. Uh-oh.

nah

Post by Guest »

nah, if they did there would be riots galore, and they wouldn't want to piss off the public. It's not big enough of a war anyway(vietnam,WWII)
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

MurPHy wrote:Hmm. Was LBJ a republican?
I'd hope LBJ was a Democrat, seeing as though he came to office because he was JFK's vice president.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller

Post by Guest »

yeah then he became president when JFK got assassinated.

MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

Hell, there are already riots. The 250 pissed off eliteist liberals who want control of the country again. That's why Kerry's running for president.

That's also why almost every liberal you see on TV bitching and complaining about Bush. They want control.

PS: Officially speaking, Vietnam was never a war. It was a "conflict", or a "police action". But that's just diplomat speak anyway.
Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

well thanks a bunch man!

Post by Janus Matchell »

Ya know KMFDM has some crazy anti-culture anti politics stuff that kinda have to do with the current situation especially with the release of their newest album WWIII. However, Kerry was on the platform for reinstituting the draft and I sure a f*** hope they don't bring it back because alot of people I know would be as I said before screwed. And if they did bring it back there would be all sorts of hell for the gov'mint to pay. Seeing is how alot of the veterans of the vietnam war I know will protest because they don't want others to go through the hell they had to during that time. They hated it and would like to see the draft thrown out.

WWWIII be all that you can be,
Janus
HappySuitcase Man
Regular
Regular

Post by HappySuitcase Man »

Is Johnny Depp gonna be in this one?

Anyway, if there is a draft, then I'll try to get out on some sort of technicality, like, the physical world is only a manifestation of your mind, so technically, neither I nor the U.S. actually exist, thus making my drafting impossible, and thus, unconstitutional.
This is my signature.
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

Just say you're gay. Instant 4F.
Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

fug

Post by Janus Matchell »

lol
4f yeah that would be about right. Also I am my moms only child so yay no draftee draftee for me! If I am drafted though I am soooooooooo fucked I am near the top of the alphabet. which is bad.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I'll be 'drafted' in two-three years. I'll see ya after reserve officer academy, then. ;)

finland

Post by Guest »

Don't worry, Finland will NEVER get into a war, unless......................
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

Unless Russia gets all pissy again and does a retake on the 1939 blundered invasion.

OR unless Germany goes Fourth Reich on your ass (and France's too).
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Actually, Finland was a part of the Axis during later parts of the WW2 :P Uh, so technically, we were at war with such countries as UK and USA amongst the few...

But nah, pretty much the only way to see action in our military is to sign up for the Peacekeeping Corps. There you'll get you're share of blood and gore. Got quite a few relatives who've been there, know even some who didn't come back.

It's not for me, though, I'll propably end up as some kind of a desk officer :)
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

Lord does that sound boring. Paper-shuffler. Ugh.
But nah, pretty much the only way to see action in our military is to sign up for the Peacekeeping Corps.
Now why is it when I read that sentence, the word "oxymoron" came to mind? Hmm. Political double-speak invading the army now, is it?
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Hehe, maybe I should place my words a bit differently...

At the UN "blue barret"- troops, you don't commence assaults or offensive operations of any kind, at all.

But you will most likely see some action if the rebels/guerrillas whatever start blowing shit up, taking over houses and towns etc. etc.

You're supposed to be the "human shield" between the dumbasses fighting over some piece of dirt so you're prone to get shots fired at you. From both directions.
Our Host!