Butcher Bay / Dark Athena

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Butcher Bay / Dark Athena

Post by Aonaran »

Alright, so the assholes that made Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay have apparently RE-made this "classic" and tacked on an 11 hour additional campaign called Dark Athena or some other such shit.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/4874.html

I never played the original but I hear it is good and involves some nice stealth elements. Anyone heard of this? Anyone played the original?

Thoughts?
my vocabulary skills is above you.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I've also heard that the original was good but I only played a bit of it. From what I saw it was good and remaking it kind of makes sense since it was kind of an under the radar type of game last generation so things can only go up.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

When is Vin Diesel gonna fall into a pit and die? We need to get a timeframe goin on that.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Vin Diesel actually isn't that bad, he just got into some really shitty films that got really popular and some decent films that got ignored. So naturally, the shit association is the one that sticks.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Delightfully brutal, intuitive melee combat, consistently useful stealth elements, mild non-linearity, decent A.I, good pacing ; amusing unlockables (the artwork of the cigarette packets is worth the effort alone), the occasional incidental wry humour, mostly non aggravating NPCs, excellent developer commentary (with the obvious provision of enjoying the base itself, naturally).

Yet I cannot remember the music ? Strange.

Easily the best film franchise spawned game I've yet to encounter.

Setting aside the admittedly unwholesome connotations of V.D/Chronicles of Riddick the filmº/console portˇ/the llamas - a strong offering that has aged gracefully.

Though the demo was lacklustre, I am, and I hate to write this, optimistic concerning Assault on Dark Athena. :drunk:

ºThough I thought Pitch Black was reasonably entertaining, for what it was.

ˇOne of the few games that, I feel, did not suffer for this design choice. Eminently playable, even on PC.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Dogmeatlives wrote:When is Vin Diesel gonna fall into a pit and die? We need to get a timeframe goin on that.
Well hes doing somewhat better managing his action career than dwayne johnson who picks the worst choices in movies possible. The latest one to witchmountain looks like shit with a comb over.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Jesus Blargh, that was...helpful.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Vin Diesel was in Boiler Room, which I heard was pretty good- also, briefly played EfBB and it was pretty great...for xbox I think.

I hope this turns out as well or better. There were some intense parts, and the "stealth" sections were actually pretty okay.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Didn't realize it but Vin Diesel actually founded and operates the company that produced both the original and remake of Butcher Bay. Crazy.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Something I've noticed about Vin Diesel is, he acts well when he's in a good movie. He was good in Saving Private Ryan (though he did play a retard), Boiler Room and Pitch Black. Then in movies like XXX and The Chronicles of Riddick, he turns in shit performances.

I think he tailors his effort to how good the script is. Which begs the question - why doesn't he just turn down bad scripts?
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

vin diesel would be an excellent extreme tourist guide. flak wests and beachpara and shit. he would be a billionare within a forthnight. Ja?

the magick force that moves and then the force that makes your finger twich.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2071-DC-Speci ... iner-email
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

The text in the link says it all, I feel the need to inquire no further.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

this shit's going to be tight, nigs
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Aonaran wrote:Didn't realize it but Vin Diesel actually founded and operates the company that produced both the original and remake of Butcher Bay. Crazy.
Also Wheelman. Vin Diesel is a huge nerd who wrote the forward to one edition of DnD I believe and plays Warhammer 40k. I know if I were a rich movie star, I'd form a game company that exclusively made video games about myself.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Wolfman Walt wrote:
Aonaran wrote:Didn't realize it but Vin Diesel actually founded and operates the company that produced both the original and remake of Butcher Bay. Crazy.
Also Wheelman. Vin Diesel is a huge nerd who wrote the forward to one edition of DnD I believe and plays Warhammer 40k. I know if I were a rich movie star, I'd form a game company that exclusively made video games about myself.
I can't say I'd do any different.

I had heard Spielberg was so impressed with Vin in Saving Private Ryan that he actually let him direct some of the scenes.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Wolfman Walt wrote:
That would definately explain why he goes for all those sci-fi flicks.
Testicular Pugilist
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

So did anyone get it and if they did how did they like it?
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:So did anyone get it and if they did how did they like it?
I've run out of money but not interest, I'm curious about the same. Anyone played?
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

What is this thread about anyway?
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

S4ur0n27 wrote:What is this thread about anyway?
Indeed.

I quit fucking around and bought this. Playing through the "remake" of Butcher Bay now. Very, very unforgiving and brutal. It only takes a handful of shots to kill you so stealth is nearly essential. Also there is a fair amount of conversation and questing at the start of each zone followed by all out stealth/murder. There are a fair amount of large plot twists, I think it is fair to call them that, that are predictable but still entirely ruthless. High recommendation.
Our Host!