The Books thread.

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Robo cop kicks serious ass!
Cow Cud is a twin.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

rad resistance wrote:Robo cop kicks serious ass!
Murphy rips Charles Foster Kane's lips off and shits down his throat.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Aonaran wrote:
rad resistance wrote:Robo cop kicks serious ass!
Murphy rips Charles Foster Kane's lips off and shits down his throat.
:EPICSHEIZ:
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Since Lovecraft has been brought up a bit lately, you all might quite enjoy the collection of short stories in Shadows over Baker Street. It puts Sherlock Holmes in the Lovecraft universe, with each short story being written by a different author. Altogether one of my favorite books to reread as Holmes is one hell of a literary character and the world of Lovecraft is god damned genius.
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Reading Night Over Day Over Night

by: Paul Watkins

Its abuot 17 year old joining the 12th SS Panzer Division and describes his descent into depravity witch will cost him his innocence and finally his soul. Turning out to be a good book, just can't put it down.
Cow Cud is a twin.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Finished Solaris. It was exactly what I was looking for, very Twilightzonesque. Starting A Game of Thrones now.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Caleb wrote:Since Lovecraft has been brought up a bit lately, you all might quite enjoy the collection of short stories in Shadows over Baker Street. It puts Sherlock Holmes in the Lovecraft universe, with each short story being written by a different author. Altogether one of my favorite books to reread as Holmes is one hell of a literary character and the world of Lovecraft is god damned genius.
Just ordered this from Deepdiscount. Can't wait to get it
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

rad resistance wrote:Reading Night Over Day Over Night

by: Paul Watkins

Its abuot 17 year old joining the 12th SS Panzer Division and describes his descent into depravity witch will cost him his innocence and finally his soul. Turning out to be a good book, just can't put it down.
Sounds pretty noice, I'll have to check it out. Have you read Hubert Meyer's book (two volumes if you go for the reprint) about the division? I've been thinking about picking it up, but I have too much on my plate at the moment. :google:

Here's the current stack of books in various state of completion (mostly large format hardcover stuff, but there's also a textbook about academical writing)

Bottom up:
Last Laurels: The German Defence of Upper Silesia, January-May 1945 - Covers the brutal fighting in that area.
Bloody Streets: The Soviet Assault on Berlin, April 1945 - Focuses on the actual fighting instead of just glossing over it like Beevor and Ryan did. Plenty of first hand accounts and whatnot.
Angriff - The German attack on Stalingrad in photos - The title kinda speaks for itself. More info here
Totenkopf - Primarily photos, maybe ~25 pages of pure text. The title on the back is upside-down for some reason.
Sturmgewehr - A fat-ass book about the Sturmgewehr '44. Pretty intense shit.
SS-Wiking - 50/50 text and photos.
Tekstens Autoritet - :aiee:
Island Of Fire - Probably one of the best books on Stalingrad, even though it only focuses on a very small part of it. More info
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Dude that is a fucking great collection fucking love it man, more interested in German camo of the war have about six books on the subject, Last Laurels sounds fucking great, might buy it.
Cow Cud is a twin.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

That's the spirit, mang. :salute:
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Are you a military nut, like meself?
Cow Cud is a twin.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Rad Resistance, I have a book about potatoes I'd like to recommend to you.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Come on man this is the book thread not the potato thread, make one about potatos in the wasteland but not here.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

translating some of ciceros letters to atticus
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

rad resistance wrote:Are you a military nut, like meself?
Not a nut, but I'm interested in some aspects of WW2, like the eastern front and all that jazz.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

@ Nicolai:

I'm afraid there's not a translation out there, but if you'd manage to get yourself an english synopsis or something about this book ( http://www.adlibris.com/fi/product.aspx ... 8X&lang=SV ), it'd be awesome. It's (freely translated) about 'The Guide to conquering Finland: Red Army's operational plans 1939 - 1940'. It lists some very hush-hush documents of the era, that specifically name roads and bridges, even from very small counties and sparsely populated areas, and how much troops can pass them per day, how much forest (cover for enemy ambush) surrounds them etc. etc. It's a really interesting read, they basically had this whole plan worked out on how to march through Karelian Isthmus to Helsinki in about two weeks + plenty of 'what if' -scenarios. Too bad none of them prepared them for the real deal, but oh well.
niejadek5
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by niejadek5 »

rad resistance wrote:Come on man this is the book thread not the potato thread, make one about potatos in the wasteland but not here.
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

niejadek5 wrote:
rad resistance wrote:Come on man this is the book thread not the potato thread, make one about potatos in the wasteland but not here.
You had to go there.
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

why is the eastern front so lucrative?
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

It is because the war on the Eastren front was much more brutal then the war on the westren front, also many more troops were involved in the Eastren front then the westren front and the battles were bigger and more badass.
Cow Cud is a twin.
Our Host!