Godless spawn of pestilent demons

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

I'm a student, mang, this is compulsory knowledge. Alas, I have other studies to attend to right now, hence I couldn't extend my herbal and medicinal knowledge very much lately. ;)
I might as well study pharmacology or medicine, I guess. But since I'm not very good at fact learning, yet, I just stay with Ψ which is also awesome and totally fitting. :nieue age: B)

Also, ze german medical approval commitee head nazis probably don't like it when their doctor or pharmacist underlings use drugs. Maybe I'll just become a shaman, or something. :giggle:

I have important exams till the end of September, unfortunately. :/
We could meet early October, though.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Being a depression sufferer myself, I have taken drugs for it and ultimately decided that I need to live without. The way I see it, when you change your personality using chemicals you are changing yourself to fit in with society's idea of normal. Frankly, I don't see how people can't be depressed in today's world. I honestly think those people are the crazy ones. Instead of drugs, I turned to meditation, art, and big breasts to see me through.

Life sucks, it's true, but there is also so much beauty that makes all the pain worth it. Is that emo logic? I don't care.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

if you can't show pictures of big breasts, you don't like them and it never happened...
Khan Noonien Singh
Regular
Regular

Post by Khan Noonien Singh »

All you really need is coffee and beer. That's kept us going for decades on Ceti Alpha V.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

You have chosen... wisely.
Getting better with ze wimminz helps a lot, also new age stuff and general confidence building, just what you said.

It's also interesting to study the history of psychiatry and to make inter-cultural comparisons to get a better picture.
As I see it, psychological/psychiatrical "illnesses" are just an instrument of power. Western culture is all about discipline and way less about humanity. If someone steps out of line, the nuisance must be dealt with quickly, so the wheels of the system can continue running again.
Psychiatry was and is there to tame unbehaving people, to tranquilize them, so the motor of capitalism can continue working. In the beginning of psychiatry, they even openly admitted it and even advertised that their goal is the control of humans. The therapy success was when the patient/victim was quiet again.
How was that achieved? So called psychosurgery, i.e. cutting off brain part after brain part till the patient was a veggie more or less. This evolved into lobotomy/leucotomy, that method even became industrial, you could make it at home with just an icepick, wonderful, eh? Other therapies include frying the brain via high voltage current till the cortex and other brain areas are more or less toast. The patients sure became calmer, there wasn't much left to think with. Other nice methods include insulin coma for instance. It's supposed to induce such a severe trauma, leading the patient to a childlike insecurity and deep despair, that he would accept anything afterwards. Some psychiatrists promoted this method for reprogramming the patients. :giggle:
It's not like any of those methods were really scientifically assessed, either. They just worked somehow, or... not. Who would want to make experimental studies with normal people with such methods anyway, eh? That would be inhumane. :mengele:

What did that lead to? Most(read:all) people were more or less fucked up after the therapy, they may have seemed healed for a few days, weeks, months even, but then their psychosis or whatever came back, often even worse, maybe therapy-induced? The people that were put in the loony bin either stayed in there, came back soon after they were healed or just came out totally fucked up after some years.
In other countries where there are no such institutions people recover on their own or with the help of their family in like a year, or so. There was some comparison study with India vs USA iirc. Guess who's better in treating their "psychically ill".

Then there was the pill revolution. Funny enough, the pills were advertised by some psychiatrists in the 50s to chemically kill the brain of the patients. An easier method even than all that costy other stuff, awesome.
Nowadays people don't like to hear that anymore and it's all about helping the poor ill people. One still doesn't know much about the affects of psychopharmacons, they just work somehow. If they kill fantasy or affect, duh, that's not that big of a problem, eh, as long as one can work. If one gets med-induced parkinson from neuroleptics, just give them more meds like Akineton to counter that, jeez, what's the matter with you critics? Sometimes people just die from the psychopharmacons, but we all have to die sooner or later, so no problem.

Psychopharmacons are such a nice thing to control people. That requires less thinking about other ways of treatment and precautions, too, sweet. Humanism is old meme.

Gosh, I could ramble on and on about this topic. I doubt anyone is reading this incoherent blathering, anyway, apart from Dogmeatlives maybe, but whatever.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

no please, go on. *taking notes furiously* I want to know all about this "mind-control" stuff. I'm actually planning on overthrowing the ruler of this strange religious cult called The HUB - I was hoping to score w/ this really hot chick w/ blonde hair and a black dress. She's one of the spokes(wo)men for the group...
*Wouldn't THAT be a great mod for F2...*
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Thor, you really hit the nail on the head. I have actually been recently reading alot about psychology, sociology, history of capitalism and communism, outer space, etc... and I can say that just having the knowledge has done alot to make me feel better about life in general. People in America all need to understand the purpose of capitalism and the effect it has on the community and the individual. It's very interesting.

Basically, we're all fucked but I say enjoy the show.

Someone should make a FO2 mod where you go to the Vault City University and start a nerdy vaultdweller fraternity and then the Jock fraternity tries desperately to get you kicked out but in the end you teach everyone that there is a nerd inside all of us. :dance:
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

cazsim83 wrote:no please, go on. *taking notes furiously* I want to know all about this "mind-control" stuff. I'm actually planning on overthrowing the ruler of this strange religious cult called The HUB - I was hoping to score w/ this really hot chick w/ blonde hair and a black dress. She's one of the spokes(wo)men for the group...
*Wouldn't THAT be a great mod for F2...*
Oh my, what a well thought out and tremendously witty retort. I salute you for that, my dear old chap. Bloody well done.

You're welcome to counter my theses with scientific or historic sources that disprove them. I admit my ramblings lack sources, too. I'm a bit lazy to look up stuff. But don't refer to useless spamming por favor.

This stuff is kinda serious business for me, k, since I'm such a humanist hippie and all. :flamed:

Also, to help you out a bit, I don't know of a surgical surefire way to make people your mindless sex-drones, you may start by destroying the occipital cortex so they lose sight, maybe hitting them hard in the back of their head will help. Lobotomy is also good, since conscience and logical reasoning is supposed to occur primarily in the prefrontal cortex.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

no offense intended, I just generally spout off about various things. My comments in no way reflect my attitude towards your posts, nor degrade the importance of said posts. Carry on please, sir.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

skipped this thread until now, woops
Smiley wrote:Some people have their chemical balance screwed up, so they're unhappy for no reason at all. So drugs, or happy pills, are a necessity for these, in order to have a normal life.
lawl what is this, mrs. hildebrant's grade 3 class?

thor i commend you for being on the money -- incoherent but with odd stabs of brilliance. you might like http://www.antipsychiatry.org/ some of it is bueno (some of it is a tad zany however)

also, i might point out to the wide-eyed that drugs rarely work on their own for any mental affliction that is the least bit clinical -- relapse rates are ridiculous if therapy (ideally cbt) is not provided. in psychiatry easy fixes are always lies.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Communist states are notorious for psychiatric abuses.

It's not just capitalist pacification.

A good indicator of the "Psychiatric Value System" is the term "Well Adjusted".

"Well Adjusted"?

To what?

To the Dominant Paradigm?

So in Nazi Germany a Hitler Youth is well adjusted, but a resistance fighter is maladjusted?

Also the term "Adjustment" is a bit suspect...

I find it interesting and maddening that near-universal paralogic addiction is ignored by the psychiatric establishment.

Perhaps it's constituents also suffer from the affliction.

No doubt it's backers do.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Redeye wrote:I find it interesting and maddening that near-universal paralogic addiction is ignored by the psychiatric establishment.

suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

atoga wrote:
Redeye wrote:I find it interesting and maddening that near-universal paralogic addiction is ignored by the psychiatric establishment.

qfe, a major point I forgot
Fuzzy "definitions" and fuzzy medication and trying meds till any of it works somehow

thanks for the link, atoga.

Redeye, you are right with Russia and other autocratic countries. Hell, from what I heard scandinavian countries used e-shocks and brainsurgery till the 90s. I just wanted to keep it a bit together, else my text would have been 1000 pages long or something.

Mental institutions, prisons, residentials for the elderly, barracks, cubicles, schools...
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I feel like I should have went to those psy classes in college :(
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity