You don't own ResidentEvil 4 - it owns you

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

You're playing RE for the combat? Eww.

SH's not about the combat - I always set it to really easy / beginner, just to avoid fighting. It's about the style and the puzzles man, the puzzles.

Although now that I've tried SH4 it's full shit.
A steaming pile of pure, hardcore shit.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Kashluk wrote:You're playing RE for the combat? Eww.

SH's not about the combat - I always set it to really easy / beginner, just to avoid fighting. It's about the style and the puzzles man, the puzzles.
What? No, I don't play it for the combat, but both games have combat in it and I find SH's so intensely unplayably terrible that I won't touch it.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

It's not that much worse from RE, in my opinion :?:
Burnov
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Burnov »

You're playing RE for the combat? Eww.

Although now that I've tried SH4 it's full shit.
A steaming pile of pure, hardcore shit.
Personally If any game sports interactivity that manifests itself in stabbing, shooting, bludgeoning, or blowing up things. That's what my focus will be centered on. Silent Hill seemed more like an interactive story than an actual game really. Even so. I find a lot of the puzzles in games like Resident Evil rather absurd. Such as the running around to fetch crystals and whatnot in Resident Evil 2. It sounds to me like the writers of Napoleon Dynamite make money pitching ideas to game designers about what constitutes an entertaining puzzle. "Don't forget the crystals!"
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Yah, well that's why I think SH's puzzles > RE's puzzles.

The shakespeare one in SH3 was really good, for example. And so was the hang-man quest in SH2. Those are the first ones to pop into my mind

If you want more detail, don't bother me, go get yourself a walkthrough or something. I don't remember all about them.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I always hear about the pyramid man from SH2, how its the most messed up picture and stuff. Sounded pretty cool.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

The pyramid man scenes are pretty cool... It rapes zombies / living mannequine parts every once in a while. Your character always happens to stumble in middle of all of it, when the action is on it's hottest.

Seriously, this is true. It's one of the most disturbing things I've seen in a video game.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

gameplay spoilers

I got RE4 today and its pretty cool. The graphics are not OMG BEST EVAR maybe because Ive played half life 2 and the like but the enviroments are detailed and can be used in different ways. The combat takes a bit to get used to and its not as versital as an FPS(there is no strafing) and you cant move and shoot at the same time so its a gun and run type of game. You can be pretty accurate when shooting cause everything has a laser sight.

Its defiantly a more action type of game from what Ive seen so far which I like and ammo isnt that scarce since enemies drop items now. There is a merchant that you can buy weapons/ammo from and can upgrade your weapon skills in different ways (firepower, speed etc.).

You hit an action button when your close to things to trigger what you want to do like jump through a window, then u watch it happen. I kinda of wanted to be able to do that myself but it works this way too. When you watch cut-scene you have to pay attention cause they have action scenes where you have to press a button quick to trigger what your suppose to do. A bit like a simplified Dragon Lair or whatever those gay games were called. So anyways if you have a Gamecube I would recommend getting it since 05 looks real bare for GC games except MARIO BASEBAWWLS, star furry, and zelda

I hoped you guys liked reading my impressions of the game
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

To my understanding, they're not zombies at all. They're just like possessed or some shit like that. They still speak Mexican and complain about going to church.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

ya, they aren't really zombies and I dont want to spoil anything either. They will talk in spanish, which is mainly just swearing from my understanding. They throw stuff, run randomly, sometimes sidestep from where your gun is aimed, jump, climb after you. You can do some fun stuff with them, the games is fun because of the AI and all the fighting. I would be playing it more this weekend but Ive got work :chainsaw:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

such a plot man
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

The game is good, but hard. You walk into a village, and suddenly ten billion angry people come at you and you can't even strafe.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

is it one of them 'aim above your own shoulder' games?
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

yes
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

Why is the main character so effiminate?
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Because it was made by japanese people and he was originally a "rookie" cop which are always hawt.
Neon Dingo
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Neon Dingo »

I bought the Resident Evil remake for the Gamcube, but I ended up returning it because I remembered why I never got around to finishing the PSOne version: the gameplay is shitty. I always hated how you have to rotate your character towards the direction you want to walk. The only reason the game is so scary is because it limits you so much (OMG I RAN OUT OF BULLETS...AGAIN).

RE4 looks pretty sweet, though, I have to admit. Looks more like Metal Gear Solid, which is a good thing. The lack of zombies is also kind of interesting.

By the way, MGS: Twin Snakes is fucking amazing on the GameCube and you should all rent it or something.
This sentence has thirty-two letters.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

I had a lot of fun with the remake. Probably because I never got around to playing the original. It has a few scary moments, I think. Lacks replayability though.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Original RE was entertaining enough... especially when all game audio files were separate, uncompressed .wav-files which could be edited without any restrictions. Zombies shouting for pussy, farting and generally sounding like wasted drunks, dialogue with dirty suggestions...

Damn, that was fun for 12-year olds.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Yeah, I mixed them together as a child to form some badassed beats. Or something.

"He seems to have been bitten by a poisonous snake... and it's abnomally large!"
Our Host!