Sunshine

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

1/6.6. hippies failing in space. zur dem eastern front.
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
Flaser
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Flaser »

Even beside the idiotic problem of "reigniting the Sun*" this film had some potential. Why couldn't they have a single physicist or even a single engineer on the staff?

What really blew me was how stupidly designed the spaceships were. I mean it was only the survival of the human race at stake here...
...and they couldn't put a secondary airlock on the damn thing?
...or a goddamn waldo that would have allowed tele-operation from the shade of the heat shield? You could still have the drama, hell it would have been interesting if it was some plausible and unforeseeable difficulty that crippled most of their systems or which would have damaged the heat shield.

...and the ending was a bummer. A cop out. There were a million different ways how the characters could have been forced into a "final fight" even without a bogeyman.

*Couldn't they come up with something more plausible? Like a giant sun flare, a product of a monstrously unlikely solar storm that they need to defuse in the Sun atmosphere.....nah, that would even have a modicum of scientific playability.

Meh,

All in all, good visuals, stupid design, stupid setup, acceptable to good performances... lackluster plot.

If you want to see a good sci-fi go watch 2001 Space Odyssey or of its too slow for you (it is slow for me most of the time) watch "Moon"...
...or "District 9" if soft-science (as in eco, socio etc. sciences) sci-fi is your film of choice.
"Wer nicht von dreitausend Jahren
Sich weißźRechenschaft zu geben,
Bleim im Dunkeln unerfahren
Mag von Tag zu Tage leben." - Johann Wolfgang Goethe

Hard Light Productions - Bringing Modders Together
spokomptonjdub
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by spokomptonjdub »

Flaser wrote:Even beside the idiotic problem of "reigniting the Sun*" this film had some potential. Why couldn't they have a single physicist or even a single engineer on the staff?

What really blew me was how stupidly designed the spaceships were. I mean it was only the survival of the human race at stake here...
...and they couldn't put a secondary airlock on the damn thing?
...or a goddamn waldo that would have allowed tele-operation from the shade of the heat shield? You could still have the drama, hell it would have been interesting if it was some plausible and unforeseeable difficulty that crippled most of their systems or which would have damaged the heat shield.

...and the ending was a bummer. A cop out. There were a million different ways how the characters could have been forced into a "final fight" even without a bogeyman.

*Couldn't they come up with something more plausible? Like a giant sun flare, a product of a monstrously unlikely solar storm that they need to defuse in the Sun atmosphere.....nah, that would even have a modicum of scientific playability.

Meh,

All in all, good visuals, stupid design, stupid setup, acceptable to good performances... lackluster plot.

If you want to see a good sci-fi go watch 2001 Space Odyssey or of its too slow for you (it is slow for me most of the time) watch "Moon"...
...or "District 9" if soft-science (as in eco, socio etc. sciences) sci-fi is your film of choice.
Actually, the movie had a team of physicists and astronomers as advisers on staff, including the primary adviser Brian Cox ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Cox_%28physicist%29 ).

The actual ship was designed with help from NASA as well.
Our Host!