colonization

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Pirate it first, buy it if it is good.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

St. Toxic wrote:Hah! I had no idea they were remaking Colonization. Good times ahead... or are they? :horror:
It seems interesting enuff. If they keep the modability from civ4 (which I suppose they will with the same engine and all), I dare say that it'll be a busy autumn.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

they're using the gamebryo engine from civ4? sure hope they'll be fixing it up. on my machine it leaks vram like a sieve
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

With the patches it's alright.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

it still leaks like a greasy asshole, even with all the patches.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

naah, runs smooth for me. ad infinitum.
Tho' it might be Warlords & BTS expansions that made it wrok well.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Maybe. Stop living in the past Urizen D:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Installing :dance:
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

s5u54n wrote: Installing :dance:
You go girl!

I've been too shit swamped at wrok to be arsed, but I'm still looking forward to it.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

So, I've always been a fan of the Civilization series (started with Civ II back in the day, never played the first one). I've been in love with Civ III and its expansions ever since the game's been out, and incidentally, I've been playing a lot of it for the past month or so.

I gave Civ IV a try when it first came out and just didn't find it appealing at all. For the large part, I give it to the kiddy graphics. Well anyway, I just got hold of it again last night (and the two expansions), played it for about an hour and all it did was give me this "Fuck I really feel like playing Civ III right now" feeling. That's probably what I'm going to do as well.

There are some things that I really like about Civ IV, one of them being worker actions. They do feel a little dumbed down, but it does make your army of workers far easier to manage (worker actions and city management were probably what led me to play those 30h+ games in Civ III).

On the other hand, I hate the combat changes with all the promotion bullshit and how the attack / defence values were lost. Fuck that shit. And the graphics. In addition, I might not be doing the game justice right now because I haven't played it for all that long, but it seems to me that relevance of a good city location has practically been done away with, and same goes for city improvements. In Civ III, you had to have a plan of what you were going to build, how your were going to shape your empire, how you were going to expand and what you were going to research. In Civ IV, it seems that all of this has been semi discarded. Whatever you research gives you like 5 different things that are all useful in their own way. Seems like you could literally put it on auto-management, just keep clicking next and win the game. You don't need a real plan or an approach, it just seems to be a game of "racking up as many points on as many fronts as possible".

Anyway, I'm going to be playing some of both Civ III and Civ IV during the next few weeks and I should probably be able to give a better comparison by then, but even though Civ IV is a more sophisticated game in terms of options, it does on the other hand seem really dumbed down.

Oh and the new Colonization installment, haven't played that }:<
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Eh, play a randomly generated map(with standard ressources, not balanced) on Monarch difficulty level and over, and you'll see city location is important.

Civ4's difficulty levels are a bit broken, but it gets interesting at Prince, and it gets challenging at Monarch.

Edit - Colonization looks sweet, I played a bit last night, but I was somewhat tired, and decided I'd try it more seriously today or tomorrow.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

I'm the opposite of Frat, I played Civ 1 on Amiga when it came out, even pirating a copy for my teacher at the time in primary school. Played Civ 2, and played both games for ages (I've still got my Civ 1 disks floating about). Civ 3 for me was kinda... shit. The whole influence thing made me cry, and I think that is nearly the sole reason I like Civ 4, influence doesn't feel like an absolute mess.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

I disable cultural conversions when I play. I think that they are absolutely retarded and I used to play PTW over Conquests for a long time before they released a patch that let you disable it in Conquests.

It is possible to get around cultural conversions by basically purging the city's population and repopulating it with your own settlers, but even then I think that it's just a moronic game element. I started disabling it when I lost an entire continent of cities one by one per turn, that I had just captured (losing 75% of my army while at it, since they were in the cities).

@Susan:
I'm not talking about absolute maximization, I'm just saying that city positioning has far less effect on it's performance than it should, or at least what it had in Civ III.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Hmm, been playing Colonization, I went for a game with Samuel de Champlain. So far, so good, but I'm thinking it goes a bit too fast; after 2 hours of play, they told me I had 80 turns left to win... I had like 2 soldiers and was only concentrating on developping my colonies' economy.

I might try doing the same as on Civ4, meaning I'll change the speed to marathon.

I'm also wondering what's the use for all those ressources like rum, tobacco and stuff?
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

they're basically trade goods, which you send back to the main land when you ideally go grab more colonists. At least that's how I remember it back in the original.
I started disabling it when I lost an entire continent of cities one by one per turn, that I had just captured (losing 75% of my army while at it, since they were in the cities).
If I'd known you could disable it, I would've, as that's the exact shit that happened to me and made me never play it again. Everytime I sat down to play it every couple of months, I'd be enjoying it till that happened, and couldn't seem to fix it (military units, no unrest, etc)
REVERANDPIP
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by REVERANDPIP »

burn them natives.... kill the kings men and later invade iraq.

Absolutely loved this game when i was younger the whole trading aspect of secretly building a an army for independace was great! will give this new version a whirl.
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

Hudson: Hey top, what's the op?
Apone: It's a rescue mission, you'll love it. There's some juicy colonists' daughters we have to rescue from their virginity.

Good game for the whole family. quality time + the facts of life /ekonomics. Ja!
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

So tried it out yesturnight, and I dare say it's rather good indeed.

And yah susan, marathon is a must if you are to achieve anything.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Mismatch wrote:So tried it out yesturnight, and I dare say it's rather good indeed.

Did try it also, on the huge western hemisphere map. Sucks there are no realistic starting positions though : I went with the french and started in Brazil :/
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

S4ur0n27 wrote:
Mismatch wrote:So tried it out yesturnight, and I dare say it's rather good indeed.

Did try it also, on the huge western hemisphere map. Sucks there are no realistic starting positions though : I went with the french and started in Brazil :/
That's how it rilly was... Not a very known fact, but the french explorer Miguel Bonjour-BonBon actually was the first European explorer to set foot on Brazilian soil with a merry band of five gay sailors. There they began recruiting brazilian semi-negroes to the french national football team.
Our Host!