Bethesda and Star Trek Gamers

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Bethesda and Star Trek Gamers

Post by Brother None »

It's not on the frontpage, so let's just discuss it here. From NMA:
We usually don't cover peripheral subjects much here at NMA, but this was a bit too interesting to skip over.

Some of you may know Bethesda has published Star Trek: Legacy, developed by Mad Doc. To call the game a disappointment would probably be an understatement. To say that Star Trek fans feel insulted by this piece of hoodah would be closer to reality.

Thankfully, Bethesda has solved that problem, by blacklisting a big critical Star Trek site. From their head admin:<blockquote>Yes folks, it turns out that Bethesda Softworks have taken a leaf out of our old friend Activisions book when it comes to dealing with criticism, blackball them. Today Bethesda Softworks removed the STG's link on the fansite page and all links going to STG in the bethesda Softworks forum has been removed...with no warning to myself or the staff.</blockquote>A Bethesda rep had this to say about it:<blockquote>Well, to start off, let me give you the official statement;
"Linking to this site is not permitted due to prior infractions of our forum rules and Bethesda's terms and conditions."

Considering the abuse you've given to devs and moderators who either work for bethesda, or volunteer their spare time to moderator the forums here. both on this site and on your own, and on your podcasts, And considering your general disruptiveness and negativity, bethesda has decided to remove any and all links to the STG.

Any post containing it has been removed, and made after today will be edited, the same goes for signatures.

I'm sure Bethesda is very sorry it had to come to this, but they believe you left them very little choice.</blockquote>Funny...I thought the Fallout fans were bitter and angry and irrational, and that only rabid fans could get into a fight with Bethesda...guess I thought wrong? Read the admin's conclusion and shudder, for if Bethesda takes the wrong turns this might be us in the future:<blockquote>We are the ONLY SITE to have shown this much support for Bethesda Softworks. Bethesda have literally used and abused STG's massive coverage for their own advancement of Star Trek: Legacy, a poorly designed, poorly planned out game, a game for which Bethesda are taking heavy criticism for, and they will continue to be blasted by this site and The Array for taking advantage of the good will of STG and taking advantage of the trek gaming populace.

Once again, we are faced with a game publisher who cannot take criticism, and once again the Star Trek gaming public suffers. I had a gutfull of Activision, im sure as hell not going to sit back and watch as another incompetent publisher takes the helm of this once massive gaming franchise. For the sake of trek gaming in general, its about time the readers of this site voice their concern of the blackballing of the biggest and oldest trek gaming site who have shown more support than any other trek gaming site out there.</blockquote>Star Trek gamers, we salute you. Go on to the end, fight in their forum, fight on the seas and oceans, fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, defend your website, whatever the cost may be. Fight them on the beaches, fight them on the landing grounds, fight in the fields and in the streets, fight in the hills; never surrender! And even if, which I do not for a moment believe, the Star Trek fans or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then the Fallout fans will carry on the struggle until, in God's good time, we get a decent game again.

Link: Star Trek Gamers website.
Link: Thread about Bethesda blacklisting on STG forum.
Link: Legacy review on STG.

Thanks to Psychosniper at DaC for the nod.
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34614

NMA did an interview with STG webmaster here
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Trek fans and DAC, united we stand!
minigunwielder
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by minigunwielder »

Now lets wait for Viveendi to dumb down
DoW2, then we can have british people on our side.
ESF morons keep stealing my damned Yahoo accounts.
:anger:
PsychoSniper

Re: Bethesda and Star Trek Gamers

Post by PsychoSniper »

Kharn wrote: Thanks to Psychosniper at DaC for the nod.

Your welcome.

Personaly, I think its a sign for the future.

Bethesda will do their best to hype the game to us before release, then it'll turn out to be a crappy console port.

We call them on it, they blacklist us.

As I said in the post I did that brought your attention to this Kharn,

We're failing FO fans, we're not negative or disruptive enuf :( .
Lysandus
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Lysandus »

How does DAC cover S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and not this?

Also:

Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Re: Bethesda and Star Trek Gamers

Post by Brother None »

PsychoSniper wrote:We're failing FO fans, we're not negative or disruptive enuf :( .
Being negative and disruptive is exactly what Bethesda expected. They were caught off-guard when the response wasn't nearly as negative as they expected and have been scrambling to adapt ever since.

Now they waited too long and Fallout 3 is just generating bad word of mouth.

Being extremely negative and disruptive at this point is just playing their game, though.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

I dont mean negative and disruptive just for the sake of it, but rather by calling them on the carpet for the negative interpatations for their vagure comments.

Personaly, I hope they make FO3 so good that it surpasses FO.

I doubt that highly however.
Our Host!