S.P.E.C.I.A.L. - Is it balanced?

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I think the world deserves to know. FIGHT THE POWER!

Tag gambling, get it over 100% after a few levels and get to New Reno / Redding or some place similar. Then get to a craps table and somehow lock the '1'-key on your keyboard and your game will be stuck in a never-ending gambling loop. You'll loose about 1/3 of the time, but for the two thirds you'll be making some. Then go take a nap, a shower or some breakfast and while you're gone, your character will be so damn rich it makes me feel horny.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Anything makes you feel horny, you're a walking bag of hormones at your age.

I think the beauty of S.P.E.C.I.A.L is that there are so many combinations to play. It' only really becomes unbalanced if the game hasn't been properly designed to use the system. Sure some stats are more powerful than others but to get the most out of the games you need to try a variety of combinations so that you can play the different quests etc.

Most of FO2 was designed for the dumber character, an intelligent character can skim through the game quite quickly without needing to visit most of the locations (if you're role-playing and not powergaming that is).
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Kashluk wrote:Your 3 level character could make endless amounts of money on the first craps table he came accross.
Which is exactly why I didn't bother with it, I found it (and still find it) far more enjoyable to not have ridiculous amounts of money. :drunk:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Yeah, I'm a fucking real-life duracel bunny.
---
It still doesn't mean that gambling wouldn't be useful at times.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Even without gambling you can usually have vast amounts of cash after the 2nd settlement you come across.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Abusing the system to get tons of money ruins the immersion. For that matter, I think money was too easy to get anyway, just finding and selling guns & shit.
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

gambling is teh best, breaking the slots in redding...ahhhh.
does this work
Carib
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Carib »

The real challenge of SPECIAL is playing it without Gifted.

Now, you learn to measure your abilities...

Oh, and my flavor of ice cream would be Strawberry cheese cake, maple almond, Old time vanilla in Root beer and of course, Rocky Roll.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

It's Rocky Road, dumbass, and it is the best. Although, B&J's Phish Food is right behind it.
Rad_Man
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Rad_Man »

Though gambling may be overpowered its fun. What other games can you base a character around gambling? Overall, I think there are a few skills that are almost worthless. Science, repair, traps and outdoorsman aren't very good. Science and repair may be useful for a few quests but usually trying a few times will work. Outdoorsman is pretty useless skill considering both FO1 and FO2 are supposed to be in a desolate wasteland.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Science and Repair have their moments. But traps are never usually powerful enough to worry about them.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Lockpicking has its moments too. Getting 70 or 80 points in throwing tends to be fun sometimes too. But from a power-gaming-balanced perspective, they're hopeless.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Throwing, Traps and Outdoorsman must be the top-three most useless skills, in my opinion.
Mod Whore
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mod Whore »

To be honest i think luck and endurance are overated

I used to have 1 luck and my aimed shots would do criticals half the time..
Endurnace i keep to 1 also b/c i think the game is just too dam easy even on both hard difficulties that i need a handicap.

With both these stats so low, i dont need gifted
Simpsons Lisa lionheart vs Malibu Stacy

Girl:" Look its malibu stacy, she is better than ever!"
Lisa: "The only difference is her stupid cheap
hat! "She still embodies all the awful stereotypes she did before"
Smithers: "But she's got a new hat."

Me: New fallout mod changes the weapon pictures, omg reinstall!
Breakneck
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Breakneck »

Mod Whore wrote:To be honest i think luck and endurance are overated

I used to have 1 luck and my aimed shots would do criticals half the time..
Endurnace i keep to 1 also b/c i think the game is just too dam easy even on both hard difficulties that i need a handicap.

With both these stats so low, i dont need gifted
IMHO it is too hard to complete some quests in Fallout 2 with these stats so low.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Luck and endurance? :?
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Endurance is good for extra HP per lvl, but I don't think many quests rely on it. Or luck for that matter.

Does anyone know if there's some sort of debug mode to the game, so you can see extra info about all the in-game stuff (quests, items, perks, dialogue)? I doubt it, but worth a shot.
Malaziel
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Malaziel »

If you play ironman as I always do. (Ironman=No saving except when you quit playing and you may not reload for the purpose of retrying anything you fail or saving a party member or if you die) Then the outdoorsman skill become vital because it allows you to go near Navarro, NCR, and San Francisco without dying. I think that Agility is by far the best stat. I usually play a character something like this.

Str. 5
Pe. 9-10
En. 2
Ch. 2-6 (Depending on whether I want all 5 party member slots)
In. 9-10
Ag. 10
Lk. 8 (For sniper)

I tag small, big, or energy weapons.(only one) As well as speech and outdoorsman(without it you will almost always die when going to Navarro)
With this character you can do almost every quest in the game and have a good chance of survival. If you want less preperation for the late game take 2-4 points of luck and put it into endurance.

I take the traits small frame and gifted.
I have no fear of death. It just means dreaming in silence. A dream that lasts for eternity.
Vincent Volaju
[HpA]SniperPotato
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by [HpA]SniperPotato »

I use:

6 strength
5 PE
6 endurance
6-7 charisma
10 intelligence
rest on agility
2 luck
Fallout Tactics multiplayer: COOPnet and MegaCOOP map pack
Bloodgeon
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Bloodgeon »

Aside from the bozar...is big weapons even remotely useful late in the game?
Our Host!