The nature of FEV

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Spazmo wrote:They could put winged ballerina deathclaws in FO3 and blame it on FEV and we'd still be happy with the game.
Not quite.
------------------
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

This is Gonna Hurt wrote: No they weren't. Take Marcus to a brothel sometime and you get an interesting little sideline to that discovery. Also, one of the ghoul leader's kids is hanging around in the old ghoul's home, if I recall correctly.
Ghouls aren't exactly super mutants so they have no reason to be sterile. (cept they're ugly ;)
I think Chris Avellone has said in a interview that the rumours about super mutants not being sterile are false. So that makes Marcus' comment useless. Or maybe we'll see Marcus' kids in fallout3? :P
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

Who was it that said something about the FEV cell walls being too thick? uhh, been keeping up with your biology? Viruses don't have cell walls. they're a strand of RNA in a protein shell, essentially that is.

Genetic mutation is one of the causes of evolution on earth. slight alterations in our genes occour, pretty much, all the time. Usually this will not have much of, or any, effect. But sometimes a trait will arise which gives an organism an avantage over the rest of the species allowing it to reproduce more successfully.

The extreme radiation in the fallout universe would encourage genetic mutation at a far greater rate in a species. therefor the changes in the fallout universe among the local critters is plausible. although it is a teenie bit far fetched perhaps. we dont know until it happens :P

I acknowledge that Fallout is set in a 1950's retro future type place but there is still a biological possibility of it actually happening.

Ghouls are people exposed to massive radiation during the war (or so i believe) which would make you sterile (you try dangling your nads in a nuclear reactor and see if you can have kids). FEV hightend the mutations naturally occouring in nature as well as customising genes for certain traits. This is actually how genetic manipulation takes place. the desired genes are introduced using a vector and then the traits will present themselves. this is unlikely to happen in a full grown creature unless every strand of DNA within the body is altered. this could present the reason why FEV isnt very widespread and dipping/excessive exposure is required to produce super mutants.
"And when he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
one more soldier reporting, Sir.
I've served my time in hell."
Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of War.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Well it seems evolution will force everything to be twice as big, twice as strong and twice as stupid.

But radscorpions were affected by FEV, and they had children. And the forced evolutionary affects would have altered the thing to evolve to whatever atmosphere and conditions they were in. So say you had 3 humans, one in a desert, one in water and another in a dark room. If you showered them with F.E.V, would they all evolve into the same thing? The one in the desert may get lizard skin and ornagey coloured skin, mabye the ability to burrow in the sand to keep cool. The one in the water might grow gills and stuff, while theone in the dark may develop huge eyes, or sonar or something.

well that's just my thoughts...might make fallout 3 more intresting with different classes of mutants.
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

all mutants were created by the master. no more were made so they all evolved to suit the environment they lived in. the master also designed what aspects they took on.

radscorpiens were radiated not FEV (i think).

Things got bigger because that's what the environment demanded. strong creatures are often bigger and seeming as the wasteland is such a harsh environment only the strongest survive. a larger scorpien can kill and consume a larger prey.

plus, as SP likes to point out it's 1950's based. therefor anything radioactive becomes massive.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

well...er...people and things might still wander into the military base.

Or mabye there's a military base that has been buried and just gets found and um...stuff.
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

IIRC, the FEV affects different creatures differently.
fuck
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

the only base where FEV was present is the one where the master created his mutant army. it says so in the holodisks. the FEV experiment was taken from the glow to a military base.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

what about the stuff in the oil rig? Perhaps when it blew up, the fev spread itno the atmosphere to become a rain-cloud that uh...rained over san fran.
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

how many biological agents can survive inside a burning ball of flame with a rad count higher than a millionair hippy
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Pyro wrote:what about the stuff in the oil rig? Perhaps when it blew up, the fev spread itno the atmosphere to become a rain-cloud that uh...rained over san fran.
What stuff in the oil rig? I don't remember any FEV containers in the oil rig. There wasn't much mention about FEV in FO2, only a few FEV infested animals, centaurs and such.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Uh....The enclave had collected F.E.V from the military base (that's why there was loads of power armour mk 2 bodys there) and had modified it somehow to kill EVERYTHING in the wasteland so they could prosper there as true humans. So there was a lot of F.E.V on the oil rig. Enough to cover the whole wasteland anyway.
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

The enclave were experimenting with Deathclaws initially. once getting hold of the FEV they tried to make the DC the means to destroy all mutant life in the wastes and retake them for themselves. when the DC became too intelligent the Enclave abandoned that program and concentrated on modifying FEV to destroy all mutated organisms. or so i understand Saint P could probably give you a better explanation.

either way, it would have been destroyed in the nuclear blast.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

The whole point of Fallout 2 was to stop the Enclave from releasing FEV into the atmosphere (let's just forget the fact that the nature of FEV makes this impossible for the moment). It would be sort of disappointing if despite the Chosen One's efforts to stop it from happening, he himself makes it happen by accident. Then again, FEV from the Glow (there remained samples even after the transfer to Mariposa) was supposedly released into the atmosphere after it got nuked, and that's far underground, so it's plausible that the Enclave's FEV, which may have been on the surface or somewhere vaguely close to it, would have been propelled into the jetstream. And it could survive the heat, apparently, since the FEV at the Glow survived the bombs to be released into the atmosphere. But then, with all the FEV inconsistencies in Fallout (um... it's magic!), they'll probably ignore the possibility. Unless they mutate fish, in which case we could have ill-tempered mutant sea bass.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Well, there aren't any FEV containers in the oil rig so I guess they were just testing it's effect during that time and probably hadn't even started manufacturing it. They had only retrieved some FEV from the Military base. So I assume there wasn't big amounts of FEV released in the air/ocean when the oil rig was destroyed. Just enough to make the weird plants in San Fran to grow. (in one of the ending scenes)
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

west-tek was kinda undamaged after the bomb attacks on it. well at least in the research area where FEV is stored. at least i think so...

Anyhoo, FEV was released into the oilrig's ventillation system and then a nuclear bomb was set off. toasted FEV anyone?
Our Host!