Killbill vol. 1, spoiling your movie "experience"

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Kashluk

Killbill vol. 1, spoiling your movie "experience"

Post by Kashluk »

So... I just watched the movie. And was kinda confused.

SPOILERS, duh.

Everybody 'marketed' it to me as an action movie but it seems I got a comedy instead! So let's see... There's supposed to be about five liters of blood in a human being, but somehow each person they cut in half (with surprisingly little resistance from the bones) spit out at least 20 liters of blood. I liked the beginning with the guy shooting Thruman in the head and that funny music playing, it was real sweet. But then the rest really got me big time - why are all these people fighting with these ancient samurai swords when they could've just pulled out a few uzis and ended it once and for all? Truly strange.

And then there's the disco music... Oh god, how I hate Disco Fever. And special effects from Samurai Jack! Damn, I had no idea Tarantino was a big fan of cartoon network. In middle of the movie, it changes from western film to japanese anime, which is kinda cool - but I don't see the point. Were the film makers too lazy or did they think it would be awesome to show some gruesome anime to the American audience *WHICH HAS NEVER BEEN IN TOUCH WITH JAPANESE CULTURE OF ANY KIND EVER BEFORE!!!* Yeah, right.

In overall, it was an ok movie. But it's waaay too overrated in my opinion. Those fighting scenes mostly made me laugh rather than stare in awe. Also, people are mixing Japanese and English real strange. Suddenly they're speaking Japanese and then they change back to English for no real reason. They might talk Japanese for 15 minutes straight, say one sentence in English and continue with Japanese again and vice versa. Did they think the viewers would get bored of reading the subtitles so they shook people wake every once in a while? Odd.

It's also strange how some actually call these people actors, when there was barely no acting in this movie at all. Just some pretty dancing they call "martial art scenes" and more blood than a 100 people hold.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

in other words: Kill Bil=teh suck
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

The blood is not realistic, its a movie they put it in for style. OMG let the truth be told. Kashluk ur a fuckin swell guy anyways.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.

Post by Guest »

Again, not a movie for everyone. Tarantino was trying to make an homage to grindhouse kung fu movies and their over-the-top nature. Basically.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Seriously, being finnish or whatever you are you probably didn't get all the referances, but, they're not to Samurai Jack. Both Kill Bill and Samurai Jack though are taking their inspiration from those old 70's kung-fu / martial arts / samurai / ninja cheesy disco'd up movies. See Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon. Her yellow outfit is even an homage to Bruce Lee. So stfu?
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: Killbill vol. 1, spoiling your movie "experience&am

Post by Megatron »

I think the movie was meant to be like that? Most of it seemed to fly over your head though.
liked the beginning with the guy shooting Thruman in the head and that funny music playing, it was real sweet.
Yeah, that music was hilarious.
why are all these people fighting with these ancient samurai swords when they could've just pulled out a few uzis and ended it once and for all?
For the sake of the movie? Also it was a kung-fu movie. You'd have been equally annoyed if they had worn trenchcoats and started diving around I gess. I thought you didn't advocate full-auto weapons too kash. :(
In middle of the movie, it changes from western film to japanese anime, which is kinda cool - but I don't see the point.
It changed back too. I suppose it was sort of meant to change the tone of the film as it was more violent afterward, anime is japanese and they probably couldn't have filmed most of that junk.
They might talk Japanese for 15 minutes straight, say one sentence in English and continue with Japanese again and vice versa.
15 minutes? I thought there was only about 4 minutes of talking during that whole scene anyway. And if reading subtitles tires you out perhaps you shouldn't bother with a lot of movies hombre.

There were better reasons too dislike the movie, you didn't seem to mention any. I liked it, will see the sequel whenever.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Wow, I never thought you were such an asshole Kashluk.

I've got a bilingual friends, we talk in both english and french and switch back often in the same convo. Why Japs couldn't do it? ARE YOU RACIST????
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Yea....but in atleast one scene with Lucy Liu there are no ther english speaking individuals in the room that she is addressing. I thought it was kinda odd too, but its a movies and liberties from reality and the norm are expected.
Harriers for the cup.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

At the table scene I'm guessing that all the mob bosses speak different languages, english being the easiest to speak mebbe?
:chew:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Yup, that's my point. There's no reason why to change from language to another. I'm not bored reading subtitles myself, because 90% of the movies I watch have 'em... But anyhow, that wasn't the point.

I was disappointed, because this movie had been advertised as "the action flick of the year and shit", but instead it's this wannabe-funny piece of shit with no rationality. At least Matrix explained *why* they could dodge bullets, but Kill Bill's supposed to be set in our world, right here right now.

The whole no guns- setup would've been fine if it had been a samurai movie set in the old times, but it keeps bugging me that all those wankers with their fancy swords could've been put down with a few well-timed trigger squeezes. Of course, that's why I dislike most kung fu- movies in general as well.

And even if this is supposed to be some kind of a "hey, this stuff really used to suck - let's copycat it" homage or whatever, even Kung Pow does it funnier. Because, hey, for me it's more like "how fucking ridicilous" to see liters of blood flying in the air than "wow, dude, that's real cool". I was balancing between choosing if this movie was comedy or action, because for comedy it sure lacked funniness and for action it lacked, well... *Good* action. Something, that isn't *ridicilous*.

I just don't like the movie. So stfu SuperH?

How many people actually *did* like it?
Megatron wrote:At the table scene I'm guessing that all the mob bosses speak different languages, english being the easiest to speak mebbe?
They all seem to be talking japanese to me... And isn't English supposed to be hard for a native Japanese speaker because of the 'l's and 'r's and stuff? I dunno.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Because Luci Liu plays a Chinese JapAmerican or something, I think she was born in the US.

Anyway I did like it.
Apocalypse 2077
Regular
Regular

Post by Apocalypse 2077 »

No Lucy Liu's character was born on an American Army base in Japan. Her dad is half-American/half-Japanese and her mother is Chinese. I personally loved 'Kill Bill', even if I did leave the cinema wanting to cut people up with a Samurai sword.

And in response to Kashluk comment about the bones no being resitant enough... have you ever seen a decent Samurai movie? Those swords can cut through bones, flesh and organs like a hot knife through butter. Just look at 'Shogun', 'The last Samurai' or even 'The bodyguard'... Samurai swords are the sharpest swords in the world.
After Y2K the end of the world became a cliche... there are now only personal apocalypses... - Max Payne

I love the smell of napalm in the morning! - Lieutenant Colonel Kilgore, Apocalypse now

Post by Guest »

I liked it, also.

And I think the anime was put in for two reasons: 1) to add to the Japanese flavor, and 2) for the hell of it.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Subhuman wrote:I liked it, also.

And I think the anime was put in for two reasons: 1) to add to the Japanese flavor, and 2) for the hell of it.
Yea, you don't need to justify everything you do/say/etc. I'm totally with you.
Apoc wrote: even if I did leave the cinema wanting to cut people up with a Samurai sword.
I get this all the time
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Apocalypse 2077 wrote: even if I did leave the cinema wanting to cut people up with a Samurai sword.
When is this ever a bad thing?
And in response to Kashluk comment about the bones no being resitant enough... have you ever seen a decent Samurai movie? Those swords can cut through bones, flesh and organs like a hot knife through butter. Just look at 'Shogun', 'The last Samurai' or even 'The bodyguard'... Samurai swords are the sharpest swords in the world.
I'm glad all our sources come from movies. Katanas (Along with No-Dachi's, Tanto's, Wakizashi's, etc) ARE some of the strongest, most durable, and long lasting blades around. Generally a good one was folded enough times that it could be run over by a tank and still be good enough to use in combat. Generally for it to "Cut through bone, flesh, and organs like a hot knife, etc etc" it would depend on the skill of the user. In real life though, fights between samurai generally ended with both of them killing each other. Only if one was much more skilled (or lucky) then the other did he escape we no injury/minor injury. However, if you look at the great swordsman through out Japanese history (Such as Musashi) you see that it wasn't only the sword, and its sharpness, that gave them such power, but their skill at weilding it. For instance, Musashi after 40 duels or so gave up using a sword and instead used a wooden bokken (training sword) and still killed about 20 people with it.

As a minor cool thing - To test new swords, old Japan used to use them on prisoners. If you find markings on there that represent numbers, thats the number of heads it took off in one swipe. I think the record I've seen in all my sword show/collecting days is 3. It could be 5 though?

Also, wasn't Damascus steel also proposed to be uber sharp?
Harriers for the cup.
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Re: Killbill vol. 1, spoiling your movie "experience&qu

Post by Ernesto »

Kashluk wrote:Everybody 'marketed' it to me as an action movie but it seems I got a comedy instead! So let's see... There's supposed to be about five liters of blood in a human being, but somehow each person they cut in half (with surprisingly little resistance from the bones) spit out at least 20 liters of blood.
Um.. How is that different from The Black Knight?

Maybe the amount of blood... WAS AN OBSCURE REFERENCE! References from Tarantino? WIERD!
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Re: Killbill vol. 1, spoiling your movie "experience&am

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Mr. Green wrote:
Kashluk wrote:Everybody 'marketed' it to me as an action movie but it seems I got a comedy instead! So let's see... There's supposed to be about five liters of blood in a human being, but somehow each person they cut in half (with surprisingly little resistance from the bones) spit out at least 20 liters of blood.
Um.. How is that different from The Black Knight?

Maybe the amount of blood... WAS AN OBSCURE REFERENCE! References from Tarantino? WIERD!
its different because the black knight is l33t.

EDIT: http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/98 ... -9809.html
damascus steel info if anyones interested.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Apocalypse 2077
Regular
Regular

Post by Apocalypse 2077 »

Subhuman wrote:I liked it, also.

When the Japanese animation began I was having a voice scream inside my head: "Why!"

But when I left the cinema it was saying: "Actually, that was probably the best bit."

My problem is that my experience of manga and anime is my brother's love of Pokemon and Digimon. It wasn't until I saw the animatrix that I learned that anime can be really quite effective if it is given a well written story, a good director and half-decent voice actors!
After Y2K the end of the world became a cliche... there are now only personal apocalypses... - Max Payne

I love the smell of napalm in the morning! - Lieutenant Colonel Kilgore, Apocalypse now
Our Host!