Silver Style Still Trying For Fallout 3

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Shit, we gotta stop that from happening.
DJ Slamák
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Silver Style Still Trying For Fallout 3

Post by DJ Slamák »

<strong>[ -> Interview]</strong>

In December, Silver Style Entertainment announced their intention to get the license for Fallout 3 after Black Isle was "deflated". <b>Carsten Strehse</b> has now talked to the German server <a href="http://www.gamigo.de/preview_detail/pc/998/">Gamigo</a> to reaffirm the status quo:

<blockquote><i><b>At one point, it seemed the RPG genre would open up to you with Fallout 3. What is the situation now?</b>

RPG fans can keep their hopes up. We're still dealing with Interplay and hoping to be able to issue a positive press release about this soon.

<b>If you took over the Fallout series, would it be an one-time deal for you, or would you keep your possibilities open for the future?</b>

If the decision were entirely up to us, there would definitely be a Fallout 3, 4 and even 5 made by us. Of course, how it all turns out in the end remains to be seen.</i></blockquote>Huh, getting a little cocky, aren't we? :O<br>

They also do some small talk about The Fall, so if you know German, <a href="http://www.gamigo.de/preview_detail/pc/998/1/">check this out</a>.
Skittles91986
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Skittles91986 »

how is a silver style-FO3 worse than no FO3? at this point, we should take what we can get. I don't think the dying interplay would have done that great a job anyway, since they seemed more concerned with pushing out games like FO:POS to make a quick buck (which is about all the game is worth). The way I see it, Silver Style may be the only hope we have of ever seeing a decent FO3.
Hertston
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Hertston »

s4ur0n27 wrote:Shit, we gotta stop that from happening.

`Lo all, from a former lurker and first time poster.

Registered just to say this. No offence to anybody, but ARE YOU CRAZY ?

Silver Style is THE place for Fallout 3 to go.

Reasons,

1. Soldiers of Anarchy is the best tactical game ever, and (frankly) pisses on Fallout Tactics from a great height. Those guys can produce wonderful games... and post-holocaust games.

2. The Fall looks even better (being an RPG and all - hopefully keeping the same tactical engine). Just convert whatevers there to Fallout 3 (if it's done with respect and a little TLC) and you'll have something that lives up to Fallout in every way.

3. Where the f**k else is a Fallout 3 (as opposed to a sequence of increasinly crappy console games) likely to come from ?

I can only assume you havn't played SoA. Buy, beg, borrow or steal a copy NOW ! :anger:

Next post will be a lot more fluffy. Honest :hug:
Last edited by Hertston on Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Hertston wrote:Soldiers of Anarchy is the best tactical game ever
That's HIGHLY arguable, I'm not sure anyone else then you and maybe Carsten agree with that.
Hertston wrote:Those guys can produce wonderful games... and post-holocaust games.
Even if we admit SoA is a good post-apoc game, where aret he others?
Hertston wrote:The Fall looks even better
I think people on DAC generally agree The Fall looks like shit, and I agree too.
Hertston wrote:Where the f**k else is a Fallout 3 likely to come from ?
A FO3 from SS would be as worst as a FOBOS2.
Hertston
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Hertston »

Even if we admit SoA is a good post-apoc game, where aret he others?
Fair point, if a little picky. :bored: No doubt you can name another developer (still with us) with a long and successful history of post holocaust games that you would rather see the franchise go to ? Or even with a record of good RPG games that thinks F3 might make more money than, ahem, something else based on AD&D or Star Wars ?

Look at it this way, what if The Fall turns out to be good ? How much better could it have been as a Fallout game ? Would you then be happy with Silver Style publishing "Fallout 3" (a.k.a "The Fall 2) as their next game - in 2006/7 ?

On the flipside, so what if The Fall became "Fallout 3" and sucked ? Not good (and IMHO, as you may have guessed, very unlikely), but all you have lost is game that would never have existed anywhere else, anyway.
Eye for an Eye
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Eye for an Eye »

The old BIS members will prolly seek jobs at Silver Style if they get the license. I think it will have a positive outcome.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

How is one game a "long and successful history of post holocaust games"? One game isn't long and a game that sucked and flopped as hard as Soldiers of Anarchy did sure as shit isn't successful.

Silver Style is an awful developer, pure and simple. Gorasul was total crap and so was SoA. I'd rather not have Fallout 3 at all than get it from a shit dev house like Silver Style. The Fall will not be good just because they hired Puuk. Carsten Strehsen is an opportunistic vulture who is capitalising on the Fallout 3/BIS drama to pimp out his own post-apoc crapfest RPG.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Spazmo said it all.

Carsten saw the opportunity to get some advertising in the FO community. He got what he wanted in part : NMA licking his crotch, and on theo ther hand DAC kicking it.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Sorry for double post. The X isn't there anymore.
Menno
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Menno »

The Fall, from what I've seen and read about it, doesn't look all that great; and at this point its a little early to get excited about them creating Fallout 3 seeing that the Fall isn't even out to judge how they'd do a post-apoc game.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Hertston wrote:Silver Style is THE place for Fallout 3 to go.

Reasons,

1. Soldiers of Anarchy is the best tactical game ever, and (frankly) pisses on Fallout Tactics from a great height. Those guys can produce wonderful games... and post-holocaust games.
Um, I'm guess you and a LOT of people here are NOT playing Silent Storm and this BAFFLES me. If you frick'in love Fallout and its combat so much, THIS IS IT.

Anyway...

SoA is NOT the best tactical game eVar, by far...especially when you try to place it in league with XCom, JA and FOT (despite your claim). With that said, Silent Storm pWnz those three games. The engine is a technological wonder ( per pixel lighting(shadows), bump mapping and ultimately, full destructible environments. The gameplay is amazingly deep and flexible ( strafeing, climbing, bullet ricochet, interrupts; its TB and its fucking real fun ).

Any one of you go an play this game and tell me if you couldn't see Fallout with this engine...now, while that will never happen ( Fallout with SS engine), you will clearly see that THAT is how a tactical combat engine is created. NO GAME will come close to matching this kind of sheer visceral energy...so to make your claim is either naive or you're a corporate lacky (uber new posters are always suspect ); you could not, with a straight face, play SS and then say what you just said.

If anyone should make Fallout, gank this engine ;)

Oh yea, and Silent Storm has a robust GAME EDITOR. You can replace all the art, create your own weapons, script your RPG elements (from what I've seen in the editor docs, you could conceivably create a dialog tree). When you realise that the artwork you create can be fully destroyed, the sheer spectacle of a true PA environment can be realised and then some.

This thread has some really nice pics of some guys(LoTekK editor work : http://forum.nival.com/showthread.php?s ... adid=23125

Scroll down to his later posts of his german home and apt building.

Cheers
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

Hertston wrote:Silver Style is THE place for Fallout 3 to go.
Only tards want fallout 3. The license is soiled. Time to work that creative muscle again and come up with something new and invigorating.
You've obviously been playing games for probably two months then. Since you've never heard of JA2, X-Com, or even the recent Silent Storm.
2. The Fall looks even better (being an RPG and all - hopefully keeping the same tactical engine). Just convert whatevers there to Fallout 3 (if it's done with respect and a little TLC) and you'll have something that lives up to Fallout in every way.
Yes it will be the same tactical engine, which is why it will be a shit game.

And I'm sorry to break it to you, but PA RPG != OMG F@LL0UT 3 I Mu$T bY!1ONEUNO
3. Where the f**k else is a Fallout 3 (as opposed to a sequence of increasinly crappy console games) likely to come from ?
No where, it's not going to come. It's going to be dead and buried. It'll only be a fond memory in my head.

And that's exactly the way I want it to be.

I can only assume you havn't played SoA. Buy, beg, borrow or steal a copy NOW ! :anger: [/.quote]

I bought a copy of SoA for 16USD (plus shipping) from Amazon about a month or two after it was released in the states.

It lasted about half a day on my harddrive.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

cool, random double post. PLZ DELETE MOM?
Last edited by axelgreese on Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hertston
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Hertston »

axelgreese wrote: No where, it's not going to come. It's going to be dead and buried. It'll only be a fond memory in my head.

And that's exactly the way I want it to be.

A perfectly valid point of view. A little selfish though (why should the folks who do wan't a Fallout 3 be deprived ? Nobody says you have to buy it).

axelgreese wrote:
You've obviously been playing games for probably two months then. Since you've never heard of JA2, X-Com, or even the recent Silent Storm.
I've played all of them, matey. I just don't happen to share your opinion on all of them.

JA2 and Unfinished Business were/are excellent games. Silent Storm has a great (the best turn-based) tactical engine, but without the depth behind it of JA2 it gets old, quick... until folks start churning out new levels, anyway. X-Com was a superb game too - as a total package. I'll also happily acknowledged the combat section was both good, and the "father" of all of the other games discussed.... although that title perhaps really belongs with the original Laser Squad (ever play that ?)

Why do I prefer SoA to any of them ?

1. I prefer the real time approach (a matter of taste, only). When it's done well (obviously I think SoA was, presumably you disagree)... I'll grant some attempts have been truly appalling.

2. Huge maps that allow many tactical possibilities, approximating "real life" at times. That's limited in JA2 and non-existent in S2.

3. Vehicles to play with.

4. Strong plot

5. A full map and level editor, and MULTIPLAY. A human opponent always beats AI for entertainment.

OK, nobody ever produced new levels, and getting an MP game requires some organisation as Gamespy is a dead-zone. US sales were appalling, and they weren't too bright elsewhere (despite very good reviews), due mainly to lousy, or indeed non-existent marketing. None of which directly relates to the quality of the game itself. Despite a lot of (deserved) scuttlebutt about S2 on the net, S2 sales havn't actually been that wonderful either, for much the same reason.

Still, as they say, opinions are like a**holes - everybody has one :lalala: Obviously not the place to talk about SS, The Fall or SoA (unless Carsten turns up, anyway), so I'll stick to Fallout if I post again.
Last edited by Hertston on Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackDog
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BlackDog »

For once, I agree with Spazmo. Don't quote me on that or hold out for another time we agree on something...as it is quite rare.
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

Don’t you think it would be better to wait something like 3 years and probably get a better Fallout 3 from a better development house, then waiting a year and getting a crappy Fallout 3 from an inept development house?

Crappy spin-offs* are ok because they’re not really part of the game whereas sequels only come once. Therefore waiting longer or not getting a Fallout 3 at all would be better.

* Excluding FO:BOS, that shouldn’t even count as a spin-off with it not following the story only the name.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Fallout 3: get over it. Don't get your hopes up, since it's not likely to happen. And every company I can imagine - Obsidian and Troika included - would do a fine job trashing it. The license was dead five years ago; while I love those games very much, I don't want a sequel. Time to start with something new.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

*spits on the quitters*

Hear me all ye' who have given up on Fallout!

Begone from my sight, and weave baskets! :anger:

I am of the mind that Fallout 3 is better than no Fallout 3. If nothing, a new release of fallout would rekindle some interest from the masses of idiots out there.

I've been waiting for this 'something new' since I was twelve years old. I've not found it yet. Plenty of excellent games have been released, but none come close to rivalling Fallout's throne, or close to giving me the feeling fallout gave me.

Stop arguing and burn some interplay employees at the stake.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Wow shut up. A SS Fallout won't give you the same feeling the old FO did. It would be just the same of a transvestite of a title as FOPOS is.
T-900 wrote:a new release of fallout would rekindle some interest from the masses of idiots out there.
We just got one, remember? FOPOS. And it sucks, I can't see how a new bad game could rekindle interrest in a license?
Our Host!