Technical problems FAQ

If you can't get the Fallout games to run the way you want, or are having trouble with bugs, here's the place to ask for help.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

I dunno, too sick to think straight on this, but last time I tried, as I recall, the game worked fine normal, no compatability modes were required. Have you treid that?
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I tried to take a screenie of the problem. The screen shot came out perfect, even though in the game everything was black except a Brahmin.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Might be some issue with your video card. I dunno, that is my generalized assumption, but wait for someone with more experience than me.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

Same thing happens to me, only it's less frequent. I'm on XP too. Everything goes black until something moves, like the cursor, so the pixels refresh or something. If you open the pip boy or character screen it resets the whole screen at once.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I have been doing that...But the problem comes back less than 10 seconds later.

FO2 works great. Installed it just now.
ChatNoir
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by ChatNoir »

Hi, i decided to restart playing FO2 so i grabbed my cd, install the stuuf (WXP Pro) and it runs fine. Then i remembered that the little bastard was bugging pretty much at the time so decided to search for a patch.
First logical thing => interplay.com dead end, dead site btw.
Second logical thing => DAC, nice, there is the french pacth... huhu, the link is still on DAC.net but i managed to download it from thevats

Lets go installing and ..... :blink:

I got an error, in english it should be someting like :

Impossible to run a Windows 16 bits application
Impossible to fiind the file c:\..path..\f2patch-fr.exe (or one of it's component) make sure that the path and the name are correct and that all the needed libraries are available.

Of course, i did try the compatibility options and give a look on the forum but without sucess (maybe i missed them).

Well, if someone could help me, i'd be happy because playing a buggy game is not that funny.

Thx in advance.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Could try grabbing the real english patch from NMA.

edit: just noticed your location. I'd still give the english patch a go, and see how it turns out.
ChatNoir
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by ChatNoir »

You'll call me dumb but where are the patchs at NMA ?

Anyway, the US patch did work (it seems) and i realise that it only copy the files form the archive into the directory. It didn't change stuff in files or something.

As i was able to open the french selfexec with Winrar i'll try to simply put the files from the french patch.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Here's where you can find it on NMA.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dload.php
ChatNoir
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by ChatNoir »

Damn, i didn't looked on the forum. Thx
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Well, I don't know if it's mentioned anywhere on this site other than in a few random threads here and there..But DOSBox kicks ass. I can run Fallout 1, finally. I'd had old versions of DOSBox, but I guess there were a few upgrades over the past 6 months, and the new version .61 runs it nicely (for me, at least).

Also, for anyone having trouble running FO1/FO2, you might check out Microsoft Virtual PC. I think you might need old disks of Win98, or 95 to use it, but I've read on a number of boards that you can use this and run everything you've ever ran in the past, including old DOS games.

Today I started playing ThemePark (1994) for the first time since at least 1997. MVPC and DOSBox ROCK!
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

how about changing the link to the installation thread to .cx, so ppl still can find out how to install FO on w2k and XP.
thisoneee:
http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3242
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

Good point. Links in top post changed to point to current server.
jermandubber
SDF!
SDF!

Post by jermandubber »

so, i followed the instructions on how to do a manual install posted at the NMA website. tried to do a manual install and the falloutw.exe file wont open the game... i checked everything over a couple of times to make sure i had everything i needed and im almost positive i do.

im using xp pro, and its fallout 1 that im trying to install.

just one thing, when i copied over the falloutw.___ file, it is a text file, or so the icon would make it seem to be... i just renamed it to .exe but im thinking maybe that wasnt the thing to do... could anyone tell me where it is i may have gone wrong... other then trying to install it on xp in the first place?
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

I just run it in compatibility mode on XP. Works for me.
Don't hate him because he's beautiful.

"Everyone's a girl when they're face down."
jermandubber
SDF!
SDF!

Post by jermandubber »

well the problem with it being a text doccument on my computer is that when i right click and try and do the run in compatibility mode... i know how cause i tired that to have the installers from the disk work, but they didnt... it doesnt give that option....
thats why i think i copied the file over wrong somehow... because there is no option to change the compatibility mode.

all i did was dragged and dropped the files over to my computer when i copied them... so if thats not the way to do it then could someone tell me the way?

btw, thanks fez for your response... maybe you know what i can do now that ive given some more information :D
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

I ran the installer in compatibility mode. I never did any manual install. Much easier.

jermandubber
SDF!
SDF!

Post by jermandubber »

i tried compatibility mode for both 95 and 98/2000... both times it opened up blue screen with static lines going up and down... same as running no compatibility.
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

If you look on the disc, you should see some set up .exes. Just set them to compatibility mode for win95 and fire away. Select the huge installation too. Worked on more than one XP set up for me.

If you haven't installed in this way, then you are on your own. You may as well try it.

jermandubber
SDF!
SDF!

Post by jermandubber »

d00d, i tried to install it using the installers on the disc. in 95 compatibility mode. all that happened was it opened up that damned blue screen.
so then i used the link to the directions on how to manually install and followed them. it still wont work.
i am asking if anyone might be able to tell me why.
Our Host!