ATI or NVidia ? [/Poll]

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

Alright... FanATIc or NV-Fan?

!!!ATI!!!
55%
!!!NVidia!!!
45%

Total votes: 29

axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

Smiley wrote:I'm glad someone finally put up a decent reply, but this is discussion, not an insulting arena.

Most people don't seem to et that theese days.
What do you want him to do? Suger coat his argument and wipe your arse?
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

hey

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Axelgreese, I'm afraid you don't understand. Smiley is better than everyone else, and anyone who disagrees is inferior to him.
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

PooperScooper is right!
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Re: hey

Post by Smiley »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:Axelgreese, I'm afraid you don't understand. Smiley is better than everyone else, and anyone who disagrees is inferior to him.
Aren't you the flame-baiter from the IPLY forums?
Lark? OTB? Anyone? Please?
Testicular Pugilist
BlackDog
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BlackDog »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:Axelgreese, I'm afraid you don't understand. Smiley is better than everyone else, and anyone who disagrees is inferior to him.
Spazmo puts off that air of similarities when he replies.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

BlackDog, don't get me wrong. I'm no fanboy. I genuinely hope NVIDIA pulls a rabbit out of the hat and makes something really great with future models. But as it is now, the best hardware availible is Radeons. They perform better, have better drivers nowadays and don't sound like a jet engine when they're running. I don't know about you, but when a video card takes up a full extra PCI slot (doesn't actually plug in there; it just blocks it) for cooling, that screams bad design to me.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Smiley wrote:
Lark? OTB? Anyone? Please?
I love flaming the French. It's like wiping your arse with silk.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Actually the 9700 does so as well.......
Well, unless you want the fan blocked.

I love flaming the french, it's like wiping your arse with silk
French? Now THAT'S an insult!
Testicular Pugilist
BlackDog
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BlackDog »

Spazmo wrote:BlackDog, don't get me wrong. I'm no fanboy. I genuinely hope NVIDIA pulls a rabbit out of the hat and makes something really great with future models. But as it is now, the best hardware availible is Radeons. They perform better, have better drivers nowadays and don't sound like a jet engine when they're running. I don't know about you, but when a video card takes up a full extra PCI slot (doesn't actually plug in there; it just blocks it) for cooling, that screams bad design to me.
So you've actually heard a 5900 for yourself? They don't sound like the 5800's at all - and I have sent emails myself off to people who actually get the reference boards to get that kind of confirmation (i.e. toms hardware and anandtech both replied back that the noise has been drastically reduced). So your "Jet Engine" theory has been debunked. As for the drivers, nVidia has never had bad drivers. Sure they cheated to get good marks at a shit program that shouldn't be used to determine the best cards in the first place, but then so did ATI.

Besides, b/c of the way a motherboard is manufactured and such, as well as for airflow in general for ANY video cards, who puts stuff in the PCI slot below the video card anyways? Most definitly not gamers.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

BlackDog wrote:So you've actually heard a 5900 for yourself? They don't sound like the 5800's at all - and I have sent emails myself off to people who actually get the reference boards to get that kind of confirmation (i.e. toms hardware and anandtech both replied back that the noise has been drastically reduced). So your "Jet Engine" theory has been debunked.
http://www.hardwareonline.dk/download.asp?id=907

=D You've got to hand it to them, they've got humor!
Sure they cheated to get good marks at a shit program that shouldn't be used to determine the best cards in the first place, but then so did ATI.
Don't forget the fact that they leeched D3-Alpha.
The good thing is though, that they don't need to "cheat" anymore =)
Besides, b/c of the way a motherboard is manufactured and such, as well as for airflow in general for ANY video cards, who puts stuff in the PCI slot below the video card anyways? Most definitly not gamers.
You're right. And the 9700 *does* Take up another slot.
I have a fan on the side which blows air out, right next to the
card, and an intake right above it.
It still gets a wee too hot imo... -.-;;
Testicular Pugilist
DJ Slamák
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by DJ Slamák »

Apparently both ATi and nVidia have cheated/been cheating at benchmarks, so I'll stick with Matrox and Cirrus Logic.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

DJ Slamák wrote:Apparently both ATi and nVidia have cheated/been cheating at benchmarks, so I'll stick with Matrox and Cirrus Logic.
Matrox had some pretty good projects going... afai heard, it didn't turn out so well after all.. it seems ATI and NVidia were too far ahead...
Testicular Pugilist
Carib
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Carib »

Hmm, well I like ATI, been good to me thus far
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Basically Matrox had a bunch of neat tricks up it's sleeve, but their card relerases were at best on par with what was on the market - albeit usually 2-3 months late.

They more or less gave up being the leading edge around the release of the g450 and now instead concentrate on higher quality (in the video output - they never really gave that up actually) cards, motion capture hardware. Basically trying to appeal to the proffessional market as they used to do before the 3D craze, specially them trying to sell their 10bit quality rendering (for graphic artists) and triple screen output (for various desk jobs - though sadly this feature doesn't REQUIRE a Matrox so I don't see it as a awesome seeling point).
Red

Post by Red »

BlackDog wrote:As for the drivers, nVidia has never had bad drivers.
You obviously didn't loose *2* 22" monitors because of bad drivers. Just because you didnt' experience anything weird doesn't mean that nothign werid's hapenning.

You probably already did have some bad drivers (doing less problems then what I mentioned above though) but you weren't knowledgable enough to notice the difference... For example a simple clipping problem, missplaced texture, or missaligned vertex. Heck with all the crap shoved in the 3d cards these days you don't even notice these defects EXCEPT if you know they're there, as with such features as FSAA you can't even notice them as they're usually blurred out of existance.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

It seems ATI cheated as well xD

CLICKY

It seems ATI used some of the features on the card to improve the rating, thought it's an actualy increase due to the cards capability, it's still a cheat, or rather, an anomaly...

Futuremarks 3D-mark is one of the most important tests in the world, not because it shows anything definite or true, but because most gamers look at this to confirm how good a card generally is.
Testicular Pugilist
BlackDog
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BlackDog »

I'm sorry red, but most of the time, bad drivers don't do that - sometimes it is the fault of the game designers. Drivers don't cause you to get STUCK IN MAPS. Thats called the map designer. Drivers don't cause your monitors to die, crappy monitor manufacturers do or poor installation and usage. So give it up and stop trying to make excuses. :roll:
DrWacco
Respected
Respected

Post by DrWacco »

BlackDog wrote:I'm sorry red, but most of the time, bad drivers don't do that - sometimes it is the fault of the game designers. Drivers don't cause you to get STUCK IN MAPS. Thats called the map designer. Drivers don't cause your monitors to die, crappy monitor manufacturers do or poor installation and usage. So give it up and stop trying to make excuses. :roll:
actually badly installed printer drivers can mess up no end of things...
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

DrWacco wrote: actually badly installed printer drivers can mess up no end of things...
A Lexmark? Mine resulted in the loss of half my harddrive and a shitload of half games, half programs, and half the music I had....

Of course it could've been a coincidence, but....
Testicular Pugilist
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Ah, hell, BlackDog, if you like NVIDIA, then good for you. ATI does need some competition in order for them not to get complacent. To each his own, really.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Our Host!