Help with installing

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Aerothorn
SDF!
SDF!

Help with installing

Post by Aerothorn »

Ok, I am installing Fallout (In Windows XP) and it says "There is a newer version of DirectX on the cd, do you wann install it?" Wondering how the heck a newer version of Direct X would be on Fallout, I clicked yes. It says "Are you SURE you want to install Direct X 3a?" And, of course I clicked no, wondering who taught this installer math- I think Direct X 9 is newer the Direct X 3, don't you? And it told me "This is REQUIRED for installation, cannot install, blahblahblah". So I tried installing it, it didn't like that either and gave me some error. Whats going on?
Odin
Respected
Respected

Post by Odin »

First off, how the hell did you manage to start the installer on Fallout 1 using WinXP..nevermind..
You have to manually install the Fallout 1, ie copy the files over yourself and make the fallout.cfg file, there are instructions on the Fallout site and I've also posted a extended version of it on NMA..
Have fun..
Webmaster@NMA
Walking Refrigerator
Regular
Regular

Post by Walking Refrigerator »

The autoplay thing didn't work in XP,
however

I just ran the Setup.exe and it worked..
Before the war, they were know as milking machines.
Now I use one to piss.
Does that answer your question?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

This is weird, because I never encountered any problems with Fallout and my Win XP(home edition). Even the autorun worked fine, both Fallout and Fallout 2. I had newest directX drivers at the time(7.0, I think).
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

ah~! ha

ill try that also. im on win2k, and whenever i try to install FO, it says i have only like 7mbs of space when i really have 3gigs. so then i cant even play it cause it says i need 20 mb for saves and crap. ill try that, thanks
Pastorius
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Pastorius »

I had no problems installing and playing FO2 under WinXP Home (large installation). Although, for some unknown reason, the autoplay only worked for the first couple of weeks.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

FO2 installs fine on win2k and xp. but the fallout 1 doesnt. its a lot older.

too bad my cd drive is sooooo friggin slow, it took an hour to copy the master dat file.
Walking Refrigerator
Regular
Regular

Post by Walking Refrigerator »

Maybe i've got a little updated version of fallout; it has both DirectX 3 an DirectX 5 on the CD.
Before the war, they were know as milking machines.
Now I use one to piss.
Does that answer your question?
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Oddly enough, I installed fallout and fallout 2 on winxp pro without incident through the installer. Awww bless.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Me too, I've never had any problem installing either fallout to winxp home or pro. Obviously, it's individual systems that cause the problem. Hmm Hmm. Wonder what the deal's.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

i use win2k, and there is a different way to install FO1, without doing it manually. (still haveto tinker with stuff, but it's an alternative)
so i found out how to do this:
Step #1: Enable Compatibility-Mode support for Win2K (which is disabled by default).
Log on as Administrator or equivalent
Click on Start
Click on Run
Type regsvr32 %systemroot%\apppatch\slayerui.dll
Click Ok
There should be a Dialog Prompt saying that slayerui.dll has been successfully enabled.

Step #2: make a shortcut to setup.exe from the fallout CD
Right Click on that shortcut
Click on Properties
You should see a Compatibility tab
Check Run in compatibility mode box
Under that checkbox, choose Windows 98 Compatibility (or 95)
Click on Apply
Click on Ok.

Step #3: now, run that setup.exe shortcut you made.
voila! you can instal fallout like normal on your win2k machine, no manual install for you!
but you must make a shortcut to falloutw.exe and run that in win98 compatibility mode, if you use the actual falloutw.exe, it will not work.

(i am pretty sure this wont mess up your machine, but dont blame me if it does!)
Paul Newman
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Paul Newman »

I have a problem with running the game. Yesterday FO2 works fine, no problems. Today, it tells me i need 20mb hard disk space. On a 30gb drive. With 20gb left. wtf?
Can someone please help me? Ive been having a read of the topic but i need someone to lay it out straight for me. What do i do to fix this problem? Im running windows 2k!
Thanks
The light at the end of the tunnel is the oncoming train.
Paul Newman
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Paul Newman »

Ok i just tried running it. Problem gone!
But of course, now another one. I press play on autorun and it takes me to the loading screen. The the screen goes black and exits me to windows.
Help?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

http://www.duckandcover.cx/official/fallout2/faq2.shtml wrote:If you are still having frequent crash problems, there is something incompatible with your system and the game. Try the following:

1. Make sure you are not running ANYTHING at all in the background while you are playing - especially virus scanners, ICQ, IRQ, etc. Even if the programs aren't active, they still eat into your processing power and can causes a lot of other problems with Fallout 2. Make sure none of these are running while you play Fallout 2.

2. MOST IMPORTANT: Make sure you have the latest drivers for your sound and video cards. It's very important that you have the latest AND that they are DirectX Certified. Also be sure that you have the version of DirectX that's on the CD or higher.

3. Make sure you have PLENTY of hard drive space. You need at least 20 megs of RAM for the game. Plus, your disk cache might be running out of space. So always have more than enough free hard drive space.

4. General: Defrag your hard drive. This is not normally the problem, but it can't hurt.
Make sure the game is patched and that you have latest drivers. You could also set the compatibility mode to Win98 or Win95, if that's possible in Win2k(right click Fallout 2 icon on desktop, properties, compatibility...). I'd also assume the game runs better with the humongous installation.
Paul Newman
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Paul Newman »

Thanks ill try closing programs. The system and game should be fine together, like i said, it worked fine one day then not the next. I defraged my drive about a week ago, it shouldnt be a problem. I have over 150MB RAM for it to use so it can't be that. I have 15+ GB of hard drive space left so no problem there...i have all the lastest drivers and direct x 9 so it SHOULD work like it did YESTERDAY because nothings changed! I'll give it a try and let you know. P.S if you need any help with quests on the game ect im the guy to ask.
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

Paul Newman wrote: P.S if you need any help with quests on the game ect im the guy to ask.
Pfft. Everyone here has played both Fallout 1 and 2 to death, it's highly doubtful anyone needs any help with quests and the game. At all. Even more, why ask you when we've got Per Jorner's walkthrough kicking around on the internet?

:?
Geno
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Geno »

I haven't... I'm still at Vault 15... But I don't count... I'm a still a newbie here... I haven't found FO2 yet, had to download the first one.

I'm a post-apocalyptic fan first! POST-APOCALYPTIC FOREVER!!! :yes: :google: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:
Our Host!