Mutations...

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Meths
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Meths »

As for dropping mutated children in the desert.. I WANT TO SEE TWO HEADED TARZAN brung up by deathclaws sowewhere in the wasteland. :lol:
I like BIG guns...
Davide
Regular
Regular

Post by Davide »

Not everybody in fallout is a survivor from vaults and shelter , The nuclear war sure caused a great davastation , but don't burned ALL the USA !!!
See the survivors haved a kind of genetical configuration that allowed them not turn in freaks and die !
Ghouls are the 50's chernobil mutations , the other survivors didn't liked them , so they live in places like Necropolis ....
PAPA ROACH IS X YOU ARE ALL Y
Som Guy
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Som Guy »

ok the mutants would not survive anyways i mean normal healthy poeple cant survive most of the time so i think they would stand no chance. Besides the third ear would probably not help in anyway. Having more ears wouldnt help you just need higher quality ears so that cancels out his ability. And dude midgits are not mutants and if one of them wass talking on this forum he would probably get pissed.
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

99% of the mutations caused in the Fallout universe were due to FEV.

They explained that already. The radiation didn't mutate but rather, damaged their DNA enough that the FEV went haywire when it mutated them.

Why do you think all the rats and radscorpions were larger than normal? The FEV was supposed to make animals larger and stronger, and as a side-effect, impossible to breed (which wasn't rienforced very well in the game amongst creatures like rads and rats). It shore made humans bigger and stronger. And when something's DNA is damaged and the FEV hits it - it turns it into a ghoul or a "dumb" mutant.

The bakersfield vault (vault 12) didn't close properly - the citizens which had taken up refuge there were exposed to radioactive fallout (probably the rain). Later on, as the FEV made it's way north through california from the west-tek facility (and even later - from the abandoned mariposa military base), it hit bakersfield and turned people that hadn't already died from radiation into ghouls.

~~~~~
I doubt that radiation would cause any mutations in people - it'd cause more cancer than anything else. And it probably wouldn't last very long either - radioactive particles would decay fast enough to be at safe levels within a few years (but still be hazardous for up to another hundred years). What the radiation would do is make everybody die at early ages and make alot of people sterile.
Som Guy
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Som Guy »

well the reason why mutant humans were sterile and rad scorpians and other creatures are not is because the complexity of the human reproductive system. The mutated animals had a less complex one so a few changes did not result in sterility.
Constipated BladeRunner
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Constipated BladeRunner »

Not everyone who survived was in a Vault, I am guessing.
Most likely some of the Boneyard is from non vault stock.
Som Guy
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Som Guy »

yes well perhaps those people were far enough away from any bombs that fell so that only the weak died.Also they may have had some other type of shelter such as the type of bomb shelters that somepeople build today.
wheres my arm?
SDF!
SDF!
Location: In a place where minds wander and people helplessly chase after them

Post by wheres my arm? »

I may be mistaken but isn't that everyone recieving the radiation would eventually become effected in some way besides damage. :? I feel that if fo3 is made it should have such consequences as u recieve radiation u may begin to mutate if not treated.I found that in fallout2 alltough u may recieve the perk mutate most people regrd u as normal without being a mutant.I also feel its a little poorly doneby the fact that if ur mutant with the perk u can still have no radiation.(how the hell are u going to be a mutant without being radiated\and what about thoose damn ghouls...whats there story about the whole radiaton thing...becoming immune to it imposible...the amount o radiation they took in the first place sure would hve mutated them a it did but if im not mistaken it would have kille them longbefore that...)Just my opinion though.
You said we would lose.....and we won
You said we would fall.....but we stood strong
And you said that we'd fail but we have only gone farther....
Som Guy
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Som Guy »

You are mistaken. i really don't know if ghouls were caused by FEV or not(never really liked them) but super mutants were and thus making them immune through evolution. Also ghouls might go by the same theroy as this. If you slowly take a small amount of poison each week and up the dosage each month you will eventually become immune to that poison. Its just a thought though.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

wheres my arm? wrote:u *snip* u *snip* u *snip* u *snip* ur *snip* u *snip* u *snip* hve
I do hope some keys are missing from your keyboard.
Som Guy
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Som Guy »

wow i can actually read that this time thanks
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

Actually, the FEV virus attacked any Gamete cells - cells with less than normal number of chomosomes (ie, sperm - killed em instantly).

The virus was also a supervirus - catch it and you cant get rid of it, no cure. It was a genetic retrovirus which actually altered DNA.

The ghouls turned into ghouls because they had a whole buncha radiation damage and when they were exposed to the FEV, it caused massive organ overhauling. Gave them infinite longevity but didn't give them the other neat perks that it gave the super mutants (which were actually the result of what the virus was supposed to do in the first place). Check the info provided by the computer at "the glow" (4th floor), explains the ghouls and the super mutants (and the larger than life creatures too).
I may be mistaken but isn't that everyone recieving the radiation would eventually become effected in some way besides damage.
Yeah, death. If it does enough damage to you to mutate you - most likely you'll die real quick (because with your cells being mutated, the next time they try to regenerate they'll either go renegade [cancer/tumor], or they'll simply die off). Radiation causes disease and death, it's not a suitable source of mutation.

In order to have mutants from radiation, someone's sperm (or egg) has to get zapped and changed in such a very subtle way as to produce a change that wont be immediatly detrimental to the offspring (in other words, the radiation particle needs to hit a relativly unimportant gene - such as one for eventual size or intelligence or something, otherwise it'll result in a miscarraige). Maybe im getting a little too scientific with this, but then again this is just a game... the FEV on the other hand could probably happen... scary thought (:shivers:).

You could be a mutant in Fallout if exposed to the FEV... and actually the less rad counts you had - the better (since radiated people who were dipped by the master had "disappointing results").
If you slowly take a small amount of poison each week and up the dosage each month you will eventually become immune to that poison
Yes, and you also become poisonous, and it hasn't been scientificially proven that you can actually do this without dying a slow and painful death (especially if the poison used is a more or less carcinogenic compound, or gains it's qualities due to minerals [like arsenic or thallium]).

Personally I think the Mutate! perk was just a mutation of your personality - a major personality shift. Which could probably happen given all the s*it your character would have to go through just to stay alive (ie, insanity). Though I don't know how it could account for the "gifted", "small frame" or "bruiser" traits though (since those are physical modifiers).
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

In Reality, everyone who would've had a large dose of radiation would have died of cancer or other illness. Entire human race would have been wiped out, no survivors cept in safe places underground. A good thing that Fallout isn't reality. FEV mutations only happened in western USA, assuming no other place leaked FEV. So what we know of the world outside western USA is very limited, but I find it possible there might be some radiation resistant critters that would've survived. Rats, scorpions and other animals which can survive(and breed) under extreme conditions might have gotten new forms.

One question though, were brahmin affected by background radiation or FEV(like if they had cattle in Vault 12)?
Constipated BladeRunner
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Constipated BladeRunner »

FEV.
I know it is mentioned somewhere....
Som Guy
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Som Guy »

Why would the possibility of fev scare you. If i was given the chance to rapidly evolve i'd pratically do almost anything for it. I say this because evolution always has good results its just the radiation thats bad. So sense i don't notice and nucluer bombs falling in my home town FEV would be welcomed. Also if the virus was never changed then FEV would not increase our physical strength in any way. Look at how people have evolved since the medevil time period i know its not that much but ours minds have become stronger at the expense of our physical body. So really FEV would create super intellegent weaklings. That is in the present situation. Wow that was long.....
Incubusion
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Incubusion »

Evolution isn't necessarly a good change, it is simply a change. Natural selection is what keeps the positive evolutions rather than the detrimental ones. Our intelligence has mainly been growing not by natural evolution but more by accumulated knowledge over the time. Rather than restarting constantly, we keep building up on a store of information hence we are generally smarter than those living in past ages. Our physical strength as a whole is going down mainly because natural selection is less of a factor in life, we have less of a reason to use our strength. Whether or not our potential is getting lower and lower with each generation, I can't say. I don't even know if we know enough about human DNA to know that.

Ack. Didn't check the date. Sorry for being a thread necromancer...
Now available in plastic-vision.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Don't worry about it, this thread was only 2 years and 11 months old.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Incubusion wrote:Evolution isn't necessarly a good change, it is simply a change. Natural selection is what keeps the positive evolutions rather than the detrimental ones. Our intelligence has mainly been growing not by natural evolution but more by accumulated knowledge over the time. Rather than restarting constantly, we keep building up on a store of information hence we are generally smarter than those living in past ages. Our physical strength as a whole is going down mainly because natural selection is less of a factor in life, we have less of a reason to use our strength. Whether or not our potential is getting lower and lower with each generation, I can't say. I don't even know if we know enough about human DNA to know that.
Yes, every word is true, but this thread is(was) about the biological mechanisms in a fictional gameworld. That said, realism isn't the most important aspect when it comes to analyzing radiation effects and mutations in Fallout.
Our Host!