Video Interview with Tim Cain part 2

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Video Interview with Tim Cain part 2

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Person -> Interview ]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Tim Cain">Person: Tim Cain</a>

<p>
<object width="640" height="385" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/laq9ua5VjTs&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
<param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" />
<param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/laq9ua5VjTs&hl=en_US&fs=1" />
<param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" />
</object>
</p>
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

His last line gave me goosebumps.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

:mancrush:
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

good stuff :salute:
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

Great interview. Thought we'd have to wait longer for the second part.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

When I hear him describe the RPG elements he had meant for the series to be based upon in the first interview, then hear the thematic content he infused it with... Without him, and without those concepts, Fallout is fucking dead. Buried.
His last line gave me goosebumps.
I think Fallout and the RPG industry as a whole has become a victim of it's own success.

The ending of the interview he basically spells out how marketing and sales starting enforcing design constraints on the folks who already had a winning formula. And shit has slid further downhill in the last 10 years. Then the license ends up in the hands of some unscrupulous trend-whores like Bethesda who pander to the XBox crowd and you might as well kiss the design concepts that Fallout was based upon goodbye.

That was the death of Fallout and most cRPGs. The concepts it stood for even back in 1997 apparently are dead to the mainstream and developers without a spine, who don't design but instead let marketing dictate their design based upon marketing figures and simple-to-understand game concepts.

Tim Cain is really candid in his interviews, these were great. Compare this to a Todd Howard/Pete Hines stroke-job where it's all hollow promises and lip-service to design concepts they cannot grasp.

Cain and Chris Taylor - without them, it's just a name on an empty box.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Notice how his smile dies when he starts talking about Fo2. Kinda makes you feel like shit if you thought it was better than the first one. What goes around comes around I guess...
The ending of the interview he basically spells out how marketing and sales starting enforcing design constraints on the folks who already had a winning formula.
And now I know the why on that brilliant quote - "Marketing people are the bane of the universe. And I used to think it was lawyers." - though it still made for one heck of a game.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

" It felt that in a big way our success, because we were successful, we were losing part of the game to a larger group that had bigger plans for it. "

- Tim Cain

Same goes for other forms of entertainment (industry): http://io9.com/5438275/district-9s-neil ... get-movies
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

who the shit is matt whatever and why did he get an interview? Get your shit together, everyone else!

also - lmao @ "I think (Bethesda) captured subway stations really well (In FO3)"
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

cazsim83 wrote:also - lmao @ "I think (Bethesda) captured subway stations really well (In FO3)"
It's hard to be nice to your current employer and honest at the same time.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

I'm not sure he isn't just joking. If he lived in the area and all the praise he offers is regarding those bland, repetitive subway stations then maybe he is.
Kashluk wrote:
It's hard to be nice to your current employer and honest at the same time.
Not that I don't agree with you here, but is everyone under the employ of shitesda? I've yet to see someone from inside the industry call Fo3 for what it is. All they ever do is praise the graphical achievement. Nothing on the terse animations, nothing on the bad shooting mechanics, nothing on the writing, well I could go on, but I'm preaching to the choir here.
How hard can it be for someone in the industry (or even around it, but i'm not even mentioning """"professional"""" reviewers) to actually be, you know, honest?
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Tofu Man wrote:I'm not sure he isn't just joking. If he lived in the area and all the praise he offers is regarding those bland, repetitive subway stations then maybe he is.
I have to agree, I've only been to DC 3 or 4 times, but the subway station ceilings are the only thing that really have a modern DC look. The high, vaulted ceilings over the platforms with the honey-comb indentations. That's the ceiling pattern. So yeah, they got that right. Kudos.

In typical Bethesda fashion they cookie cutter the same fucking subway station each time.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Tofu Man wrote:Not that I don't agree with you here, but is everyone under the employ of shitesda? I've yet to see someone from inside the industry call Fo3 for what it is. All they ever do is praise the graphical achievement. Nothing on the terse animations, nothing on the bad shooting mechanics, nothing on the writing, well I could go on, but I'm preaching to the choir here.
How hard can it be for someone in the industry (or even around it, but i'm not even mentioning """"professional"""" reviewers) to actually be, you know, honest?
It's a company on the grow. Potential future partners don't want to anger such a giant, and most of the 'pro' reviewers are on their payroll. That's the state of the industry, man.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Cimmerian Nights wrote: In typical Bethesda fashion they cookie cutter the same fucking subway station each time.
And now you know why they went with DC rather than Moscow ;)
Kashluk wrote: It's a company on the grow. Potential future partners don't want to anger such a giant, and most of the 'pro' reviewers are on their payroll. That's the state of the industry, man.
Add to that that they have the least demanding customer base I can think of, and all of a sudden the average gamer is being told what he likes, becoming more undemanding as time passes, and essencially allowing an industry that should provide them with what they want to become a cartel who churns out crap that they think they love, failing to realise they've been turned to acritical -free PR providing- fanboy drones, thus leaving the rest of us who enjoy a decent game once in a while with a thumb up our arses waiting for the messiah. /rant

Feel like writing a new editorial yet Cimmerian? :D
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Tofu Man wrote: Feel like writing a new editorial yet Cimmerian? :D
I liked where your rant was headed actually.

I'll write another one if Uncle Blargh promises to babysit my kids for a few hours.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

I actually wonder. Did anyone take the duck and cover crap seriously back then?
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

I think America was much more trusting of authority figures, politicians and the gov't in general pre-Kennedy assasination, pre-Nixon resignation, pre-Viet Nam.

I suppose that's a cyclical trend though, since the founding fathers built in safeguards to account for unscrupulous fuckwads.

Unless you were black, Uncles Sam took care of business for you in the 40s and 50s. When shit is going smooth, people are less likely to be so suspicious and discerning.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

My parents were alive during the Cold War. According to them they thought the Russians could launch nukes at any time, and school children knew damn well duck and cover wouldn't save them - they had regular drills.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Retlaw83 wrote:My parents were alive during the Cold War. According to them they thought the Russians could launch nukes at any time, and school children knew damn well duck and cover wouldn't save them - they had regular drills.
My parents and grandparents didn't really bother with thinking about the nuclear war since everybody would die then anyway. They were more afraid of 'traditional' Soviet land invasion, since the last try was still fresh in memory.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Cimmerian Nights wrote:I liked where your rant was headed actually.

I'll write another one if Uncle Blargh promises to babysit my kids for a few hours.
"How much I hate today's computer games" by Tofu Man.
You know, somehow I don't see it being a success in the 12-18 y/o demographic. Blargh better get a move on, then. ;)
Kashluk wrote:My parents and grandparents didn't really bother with thinking about the nuclear war since everybody would die then anyway. They were more afraid of 'traditional' Soviet land invasion, since the last try was still fresh in memory.
As a curiosity, Kash, anyone in your family felt or saw anything when they detonated that 50Mton bomb ? Or is all the "breaking windows in Finland" thing just internet exaggeration?
Our Host!