Why all the Fallout 3 hate?

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

The sarcasm within that post, I thought, was remarkably obvious. I guess not.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I'm pretty sure there have been books worth of information as to why we don't like FO3 around. The landscapes are ok. I'll agree they're probably the best part of FO3, but that's not saying much.

As for you feeling for your character? WHAT character? Your dialogue choices were absolute crap so you either sounded like a complete moron or someone who was fed draino as a child. Your character is always inevitably devoid of just that - character.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

The dialog looks like something I wrote when I was writing short stories in Grade 4.
Vault Boy
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Vault Boy »

I guess Fallout 3 is different strokes for different folks, I will agree that Fallout 3 doesn't feel like a part of the Fallout Franchise.. I hope I didn't contradict myself lol
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Nope. Its just not a very good game. No buts or ifs.
Its at best mediocre. Its not creative. Its not an rpg, or an fps as such, just a bland blend of both.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Superhaze wrote:Its not an rpg, or an fps as such, just a bland blend of both.
And even that was done much better by Borderlands.
Vault Boy
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Vault Boy »

Borderlands was fun but terrible online, the match making was very bad, you pick to have someone around your level and you get thrown in with a level 20 guy, so you have to catch up to him just to start the story, not to mention everyone wants to do something different, so you have a big massive cluster fuck of a game going on, and I won't even get started on how annoying the Skags are, Borderlands was fun, but repetetive
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Vault Boy wrote:different strokes for different folks
Yeah...maybe those with a passing interest in carpophagia.

And hey, did you check out fallout 3s online mode? It's going to the forums to bitch about a broken disc or a nonworking version. Possibly the most bothersome part of this is the fact that they felt it okay to release a broken game, one that rarely worked for one of the platforms it was release on. Is this now status quo? And fuck dlc.
...signatures? WTF?
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

senisterdenister wrote:The sarcasm within that post, I thought, was remarkably obvious. I guess not.
you're guessing wrong question.
Seploud
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Seploud »

Well maybe we hate fallout 3 because like every game nowadays, it is 95% graphics and 5% bad writing, bad gameplay and voice acting.
it happens everywhere, everything sucks now, the movies and tv series are just special effects and lame writing.

the old rpgs, are the best, they used to have great stories, and great gameplay to compensate for the fact that the graphics were limited.

it happens everywhere, everything sucks now, the movies and tv series are just special effects and lame writing.

The past is the best!, when games were games, when movies were
movies and tv series were tv series!.

bethesda sucks, I never have finished their games, I just wander around doing quests until it gets boring, because always the main quest is worse than the side quests, this is very sad, because is happening in many rpgs today, the side quests are harder than the main quests and the main quests are fucking short, and thanks to the side quests the characters get very strong and makes the main quests even easier!.

I never play a bethesda game during the firsts months after the release, a bethesda game is acceptable only with mods.
PiP

Post by PiP »

Seploud wrote:we
:dance:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

I agree also !.

is the most eligible preparation for hypodermatic injection. From one to five grains may be injected at one time. In preparing it for this purpose, the quantity to be injected should be rubbed up

Also, I agree !.

:drunk:
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

On a little sidenote, has anyone here played JRPGs? Anything to recommend?
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Final Fantasy 8
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

King of Creation wrote:Final Fantasy 8
qfe
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Charles Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
...signatures? WTF?
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Due to the nature of the internet I can only ask. FF8? Are you serious? That one is terrible, even amongst JRPG standards. 6 is what you're lookin for.
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

Godhand.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

senisterdenister wrote:Godhand.
jesus that game sucked SO bad
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Re: Why all the Fallout 3 hate?

Post by Yonmanc »

Vault Boy wrote:I played Fallout 1 and 2 before 3, never played BOS since I can't find it anywhere, but why all the hate towards Fallout 3? The landscape is beautiful and it really puts you in there, it can be a little annoying mainly due to the bugs, but thats about as far as it goes
I loved Fallout 3 until I played Fallout 1, after that I just felt dirty. I guess after seeing the first one, people expected a more advanced version of the 1st, and 2nd games, and rightfully so. What Bethesda did was change the game. It was no longer the game people fell in love with, but instead an FPS set in the same universe, and even then they made a bunch of errors with the canon, always makes me laugh to see Bethesda disregard Tactics as canon (which it half is in my opinion), due to the plot errors, then do the same thing with their game.

I guess to summarise, they just destroyed the key elements of the core gameplay. Ask yourself this:

Would you play a Tomb Raider RTS? Or Metal Gear Solid Racing game?

Seriously, if you have a decent computer, go over to NMA and download the link to Van Buren, the original Fallout 3 before it got scrapped. It's only a tech demo, and crashes often, but even that should give you a glimpse in to what fans were expecting.
Our Host!