Fallout 3 Last Impressions

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

vx trauma wrote:i'd rather install f3 in my ass.
use this

MedicPowerArmor
SDF!
SDF!

Post by MedicPowerArmor »

Bunch of ass hats. I think Fallout 3 was pretty good (but then, I never actually BEAT a Fallout game). I quite like what they did with Liberty Prime at the end.

To all haters of this game: "I hope you die."
Prepare for the future!
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

MedicPowerArmor wrote: To all haters of this game: "I hope you die."
Are you quoting the dude who left you to die in a ditch after he sodomized you with a Vault Boy bobblehead?
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

MedicPowerArmor wrote:(but then, I never actually BEAT a Fallout game).
I SMELL FLAMEBAIT
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

So, I'veen doing other stuff lately (like for 3 yars me think...), but I FINALLY got myself to install Fallout3 on my imac and thus, I've been playing it.

Better late than never, but here are my impressions.

So, Ron did the opening...good, but I somehow feel that the dialogue itself needed something more...sinister. I felt...poor.

The begininng, well I kinda liked the idea of growing up and doing your thing, but it's more like a "go from tunnel to tunnel", not like growing up. Gotta try it another time...perhaps I get to kill as a infant...doubt it.

Blah blah blah goat, blah blah boorrring. Out already!

So, I'm out. I did like the idea of going out into 3D and actually looking at the world.

Overall I like feel and athmosphere of the area and the flying radiobots, It felt...Fallouty! (horror!!). So in general the idea is ok.

So, combat...shitloads of combat, too much combat! RPG...err no...first person shooter! Which has horrible controls. I would much much more prefer to have a dedicated VATS because mixing both realtime and VATS feels odd. I'm still not feeling home or even "how the hell does this work" with the AP's. Also no idea how much weapons use AP, nor where the fuck are the descriptions of items? Chinese Assault Rifle...m'kay...hmm...where's the text...hey i have this hand-combat-thingie...fisto...wtf is it? Am I missing some frigging button somewhere? Or is it like the holstering button...which was bloody cryptic untill i Googled it...wtf i need to google a button for holstering!?

More of combat....i don't have bloody mess, but still pistols shots blow off heads...every single time? Hey lets make a adult game! Blow heads off, always. Feels like: "i want crates, crates!" but with a "heads blown off. Heads! Blown! OFF!! Yeah!! KICKASS!!".

Also...wtf lightning fast ghouls! Those suckers really suprised me, it's not like ghouls are snorks from stalker. They should be SLOOOOOOWWWWW! But no...

Items...more of them. I have a feeling there are WAYYY too much tins and cans and building material (with very little schematics), but not nearly enough of different types of weapons and armors. Where is the mix match combine tin+can+tires= armor. Or different boots and glowes etc. Weren't we supposed to be building stuff? Not just comibine a few things so you can get a full armor from a piece of toilet....last I checked you can't really make boots from stuff like that. Perhaps a shoulderguard..but that's it.

Dialogue...the texts and stuff are ok, but the controls for it. How about having ALL THE CHOICES visible! It's annoying as hell to scroll down.

More on combat.... almost every single thing is hostile! Wtf? Also why do robots roam the desert? Why are there mutants in stupid locations? Territory!!!! I mean taking a stroll around the homeyard and you can pretty much face anything from robots to super mutantsa, raiders, dogs, pigs, centaurs (beth likes Doom/quake....).

What else...well i like the repairing element, but where are all the OLD weapons from Fallout1&2, i mean they did buy the frigging license! I want a scoped hunting rifle!

Overall... I've played FO1&2 so many times that I like having FO3 here. It's a new playground for me (specially when there won't be a PROPER FO3 anymore).

Not really sure if I'm a liker or a glittering gem, but something in the middle me thinks.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

frissy wrote:So, I'veen doing other stuff lately (like for 3 yars me think...), but I FINALLY got myself to install Fallout3 on my imac and thus, I've been playing it.

:insert verbal diarrhea here:

Not really sure if I'm a liker or a glittering gem, but something in the middle me thinks.
Oddly enough, I don't remember you being dumb. :chew:
frissy wrote:Dialogue...the texts and stuff are ok
Steel be with you! :hahano:
frissy wrote:Overall I like feel and athmosphere of the area and the flying radiobots, It felt...Fallouty! (horror!!).
I've heard people say that before, but never actually seen it in person; feels more "Elders-Scrollsy" (true horror!!) to me. Also, what did you think about the music? :eyebrow:
frissy wrote:Gotta try it another time...perhaps I get to kill as a infant...doubt it.
Yeah, not gonna happen.
frissy wrote:What else...well i like the repairing element
Why? You're just fusing duplicate equipment together to raise a bar of durability. What's to like about it?
frissy wrote:I like having FO3 here.
Fine, but keep it to yourself next time.
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

St. Toxic wrote:Also, what did you think about the music? :eyebrow:
There was music?
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

The music catalog was about as expansive as the voice acting cast.
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

Orchestral numbers that would make Mozart weep.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

FO3 Last Impression: Bleh
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Fallout 3 Last Impression:
Metaphorically similar to Biff Tannen of BTTF. Originally a 50s-esque spunky punk who was apathetic to those who didn't like him, but when given money and power, became a greedy, gaudy, royal douche to the point that it had lost most laugh value, save for the pathetic nature.

Having said that, even as the game is loaded with wasted potential it still holds opportunity by what dedicated gamers and modders create.
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

Manoil wrote: Having said that, even as the game is loaded with wasted potential it still holds opportunity by what dedicated gamers and modders create.
I must say that i agree completely. Overall it all feels...well unfinished. It's like they ran out of time. Which is pretty odd when you think about it. They had time, they had the setting, they had PREVIOUS games. So what was wasted?

As for St. Toxic (greetings old fella) well me being dumb...perhaps not, but I'm fairly certain than in these years I probably lost a lot of brain activity...work work work work. I think something snapped. Oh well, onto the wastelands.

So repairing element. Well I do agree that it could be better, but overall you do fix stuff by getting similar stuff in real life also, but...you also get PARTS! And they have shitloads of frigging parts and cans and parts and cans in Fallout 3, why not use those? (blah blah Magic +1 sword doesn't combine with magic sword +2...any dev who says that should be shot...or groomed). As an idea I like it. Hell I spend days fixing some old stuff that isn't really old nor survived a nuclear holocaust...so getting stuff that never has any problems is rather odd. I mean they did have a nuclear holocaust right...?

Music? There was music? Hmm...must have missed that from all the shooting and growling from Dogmeat...

As I said... it all feels unfinished, which is odd. Oblivion never felt unfinished, it just plain sucked. It's not even a oblivion with guns, then it would just suck. This...this...well to achieve this needs major talent! How to fuck up something without really fucking it up the old way. They found a new way!
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

As I said... it all feels unfinished, which is odd. Oblivion never felt unfinished, it just plain sucked. It's not even a oblivion with guns, then it would just suck. This...this...well to achieve this needs major talent! How to fuck up something without really fucking it up the old way. They found a new way!
It's bethsoft, they push that frontier with every release
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

frissy wrote:As I said... it all feels unfinished, which is odd. Oblivion never felt unfinished, it just plain sucked. It's not even a oblivion with guns, then it would just suck. This...this...well to achieve this needs major talent! How to fuck up something without really fucking it up the old way. They found a new way!
An enormous amount of it is misdirection. I've bitched about it before, but the new aesthetic is really garbage next to the old one. Just using the old one would have saved time and increased content approval.

And why the hell was it so fucking easy to get ahold of a suit of cheap power armor? GAWD ITS RETARDED
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

frissy wrote:So repairing element. Well I do agree that it could be better, but overall you do fix stuff by getting similar stuff in real life also, but...you also get PARTS! And they have shitloads of frigging parts and cans and parts and cans in Fallout 3, why not use those? (blah blah Magic +1 sword doesn't combine with magic sword +2...any dev who says that should be shot...or groomed). As an idea I like it. Hell I spend days fixing some old stuff that isn't really old nor survived a nuclear holocaust...so getting stuff that never has any problems is rather odd. I mean they did have a nuclear holocaust right...?
That goes without saying. Things break and I'm all for broken shit littering the wasteland. I'd go so far as to say that there's a whole new chapter of gameplay in repair, if the implentation involves some thought. Merging two identical pieces of equipment together just so you can do some extra damage (because broken guns do shoot, only they shoot for less dmg eh) or get more def or something, is just not it.

And, you don't really need all the parts. Sometimes you don't need any new parts at all, if you're clever enough (at least Vic's daughter thinks so). A rubber band might be all you need to power that Laser Rifle back up. Or, well, you could always glue two Laser Rifles together. :eyebrow:
frissy wrote:Music? There was music? Hmm...must have missed that from all the shooting and growling from Dogmeat...
You know what I missed? The Fallout-esque enviromental tracks. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree on this one, but as far as I'm concerned, a wasteland landscape no matter how well-crafted (and in FO3's case; not particularly) simply doesn't ring "Fallout" without Fallout style music to set the mood. Bethesda did a number worse and shoved an orchestral soundtrack in there, +oldies radio for good measure. Sounded like Stubbs the zombie fucking Oblivion up the ass.

As an example, the commies working on FO2 online had some guy step in and revamp the original music for their second open beta. The tracks weren't that bad, but the overall feel of the music clashed with the enviroment and acted as a distraction. Couldn't really play the game til' I had those tracks replaced.
frissy wrote:As I said... it all feels unfinished, which is odd. Oblivion never felt unfinished, it just plain sucked.
Really? I always thought it was a sloppy, unpolished resource hog when it hit. Considering that it went against every promise made by the pr team, I couldn't help but feel that it had been rushed. Although I doubt a few extra years would save it from sucking.
frissy wrote:It's not even a oblivion with guns, then it would just suck.
I guess this is where we disagree. I really can't think of a better or more accurate way to describe FO3 than "Oblivion with guns". :chew:
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

I've been considering just porting all the music from Tactics into FO3. Like all projects of mine, it probably won't get off the ground, but... you know.

What say youse guys
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Manoil wrote:I've been considering just porting all the music from Tactics into FO3. Like all projects of mine, it probably won't get off the ground, but... you know.

What say youse guys
I say "less is more" with post-apoc games. IMO it feels like you are more alone when nothing is going on. I would've liked the radio thing more if your battery would die frequently and you'd have to recharge it, or hang around in the sunshine for a while (solar?) or something. The same 20 minutes over and over again was a pain in the ass.

In re: to the topic, final impression? Good riddance.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

cazsim83 wrote:
Manoil wrote:I've been considering just porting all the music from Tactics into FO3. Like all projects of mine, it probably won't get off the ground, but... you know.

What say youse guys
I say "less is more" with post-apoc games. IMO it feels like you are more alone when nothing is going on. I would've liked the radio thing more if your battery would die frequently and you'd have to recharge it, or hang around in the sunshine for a while (solar?) or something. The same 20 minutes over and over again was a pain in the ass.

In re: to the topic, final impression? Good riddance.
Good point. Less music = DANEJAH
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

I seem to recall leaving the radio off. The same thing every 20 minutes got old after about 5.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

MadBill wrote:I seem to recall leaving the radio off. The same thing every 20 minutes got old after about 5.
I didn't bother dealing with it. At this point, I can prettymuch recite the lyrics of everything on GNR. Fuck you, Three Dog.

seriously though, I'm pretty hyped over a pretty big mod-- the real time settler mod is hot shit. Watch the Youtube videos attached and you'll see what I mean
Our Host!