New computer?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

New computer?

Post by johnnygothisgun »

I want to make another computer, or atleast upgrade the one sitting in front of me, because apparantly I can't handle multi-gayboy hyperthreading and dual core whatevers.

When I built this machine I got the parts off www.pricewatch.com because www.newegg.com seemed like utter shit compared to it. I'm not really up to date on what's good and what's not, so what mobo/processor and what videocard should I be looking at purchasing?
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I've bought all my computer parts off of newegg and they are pretty good. I don't know what specific parts are the best but pretty much every side AMD/intel ati/nvidia make good stuff. Theres really no really bad products that are decieving that we have to tell you to avoid. Just look at some hardware sites or something.
Fa11lloutfan_15
Strider
Strider

Post by Fa11lloutfan_15 »

You should at least get an update on the recent events in the CPU industry as they have stirred things up completely. Here are some links:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sh ... spx?i=2795
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2797
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/di ... otout.html
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Don't fix what ain't broke. I upgraded, and I so regret it eh.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Shadowninja diamond omegaturbo 9000xl.

Dual megabit optical bus, quad-mounted 7.3 Ghz bacteria-templated carbon nanotube 3-D compucubes with optional RISC/CISC mode-switching and quantum coprocessors.

Sweet.

S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I'm also thinking of upgarding or buying a new computer. I dunno.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Does anyone know whether or not it would be worth it to get a dual core AMD Athlon XP CPU, or should I just get the conventional single core processor? I don't know if it's an extra hundred bucks for just like a 5% increase in speed, so I need some help.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Go for Core2. I personally have an AMD Athlon, but I hear amazing things about the new Core2's from Intel.

Then again, for under $1000, you can build an AMD SLI system that can play any game at highest quality.

Build something from http://www.directron.com . I custom built a PC from them a few years ago and I was 100% satisfied. It was built and shipped within a week. Then again, I'm just half a day's drive from their physical shop-front anyway.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

Core 2 is fantastic if you have software optimized for it. Guess how many are.
Serious Business.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Twelvety ? :drunk:
Fa11lloutfan_15
Strider
Strider

Post by Fa11lloutfan_15 »

Koki wrote:Core 2 is fantastic if you have software optimized for it. Guess how many are.
Idiocy. If you would have a look at the benchmarks, you would see that the Core 2 Duo wins by a good margin in practically every test, despite being cheaper and cooler than their nearest competitors. If all those results are due to all those applications being optimized for the Core 2 Duo, then I guess you won't have a problem with the availability of optimized software. It should be noted, however, that what you're saying is unfounded bullshit altogether and should be disregarded.

Edit: If you are simply repeating the myth that the Core 2 Duo doesn't work well with 64-bit software, then have a look here: http://xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/displa ... 64bit.html

Even though there is some basis for these rumours, as one can see in the charts, they have been grossly blown out of proportion.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Anyone knows of any place in Canada that ships and with which you can build custom computers?
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Irrelevant, you're better off buying in the US anyways. Basically, suppose product X costs $300 USD at some American retailer. It'll probably cost $400 CDN up here. However, with the exchange rate being what it is right now ($1 CDN = ~90 cents US), buying product X in the US may cost around $310-320 CDN. Even with shipping costs sometimes being greater, you'll still probably save big.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Hey, it's a 1-.90 ratio now? When this country collapses, I'm heading North.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

S4ur0n27 wrote:Anyone knows of any place in Canada that ships and with which you can build custom computers?
montreal
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

S4ur0n27 wrote:Anyone knows of any place in Canada that ships and with which you can build custom computers?
I got my bad boy from Canada.
www.voodoopc.com
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I still don't get this CPU crap, I got 3.4 ghz it should be faster than a 2.0 ghz right but its not? cpus aren't optimized to do certain software tasks are they? I thought they just process shit no matter what it is and the OS handles what the processer is supposed to process. If a CPU can process something faster why isn't it a higher mhz or whatever?
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

That is because there is more to processor performance than the Megahurz
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:I still don't get this CPU crap, I got 3.4 ghz it should be faster than a 2.0 ghz right but its not? cpus aren't optimized to do certain software tasks are they? I thought they just process shit no matter what it is and the OS handles what the processer is supposed to process. If a CPU can process something faster why isn't it a higher mhz or whatever?
It's a Celeron isn't it. Just admit it.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

No its a p4 NORTHWOOD biatch. Now explain how a CPU works.
Our Host!