The Internet Surveillance Bill

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

The Internet Surveillance Bill

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Meh, I found this entertaining.
Considering the fact that I am on Sympatico right now, this is fucked.

Invasion of privacy, yes sir.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ology/home
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Fucked indeed... they don't seem to have any legit reason for why constant, unfettered surveillance of what people are doing on the internet is necessary. I mean, is it that hard for the authorities to get the equivalent of a search warrant to look at people's internet access when they legitimately need it? Anyway I'd love to see what would happen if they introduced a PATRIOT-style act in Canada.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

People are flipping out because Sympatico has announced they will comply with any govt request for information. And yeah, it's bad, but no, you shouldn't bother switching to Rogers or Videotron or whatever the local competition is. They're doing the exact same thing, they're just not telling you about it.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Who's laughing now, Canada?! :lol:
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Canada vs. America. I say we go nuclear and see who survives.

By the way, curiosity strieks me and I'm too lazy to research it myself, but is Canada still a part of Britain? I know Australia is and it makes me laugh, but is Canada?
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Both Australia and Canada (and all the other ex-British colonies that didn't have violent revolts) are still part of the Commonwealth. The Queen of England is our head of state, but of course our own Prime Minister and Parliament run the country.

RPG Codex
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

With parliamentary majority, it won't be long before Gnome and co. turn their spite filled eyes to such matters, if they haven't yet done so. Not that I could say with conviction that any other would be that much different.

Only a matter of time.

But then, it is a human urge to control and influence one's 'peers'. While few resist such calls, many are impeded by design(s). Not that they see us as anything but sheep in dire need of constant guidance and monitoring. The legal illegals. Am glad, then, that the mind still holds the truth of privacy, that I will be gone before the loss of that last refuge. :drunk:
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Spazmo wrote:but of course our own Prime Minister and Parliament run the country.
That's what we liked to think back in the Union. Kidding lol.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Sissy bitches. I'll tell you the same thing I told the Aussies.

Kill British.

That simple.

We did it. Now we like, are our own country that can have its own nukes to point at everyone thats not us and probably some of us anyway just in case GW gets an ichy trigger finger.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Spazmo wrote:Both Australia and Canada (and all the other ex-British colonies that didn't have violent revolts) are still part of the Commonwealth. The Queen of England is our head of state, but of course our own Prime Minister and Parliament run the country.
I'm sorry but someone needs a history lesson.
Austrailia is still Commonwealth from what I know. Canada is not.

I'll give you the short version instead of my version.

Inhabited first by Aboriginal peoples, Canada was founded as a union of British colonies, some of which had earlier been French colonies. Canada peacefully obtained independence from the United Kingdom in a process spanning from 1867 to 1982.

At a meeting of First Ministers in November 1981, the federal and provincial governments agreed to the patriation of the constitution, with procedures for amending it. Despite the fact that the Quebec government did not agree to the changes, on 17 April 1982, Canada, by Proclamation of Queen Elizabeth II, patriated its Constitution from Britain, thereby making Canada wholly sovereign, though the two countries continue to share the same monarch.

That Quebec education system is lacking isn't it.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

So what happens when Queen Elizabeth II kicks the bucket? Canada gets rid of the monarchy?
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

VasikkA wrote:So what happens when Queen Elizabeth II kicks the bucket? Canada gets rid of the monarchy?
We don't have a monarchy, we have a monarch.
All she is, is a figurehead.
She gets that status because she worked her magic to get us self-governance.

A little reading comprehension perhaps?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Ya, I meant the monarch status, not the system of government. But what happens when she dies; Canada gets another figurehead?
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

VasikkA wrote:Ya, I meant the monarch status, not the system of government. But what happens when she dies; Canada gets another figurehead?
Not that I know of. I assume we just continue on without one.
It's not like she holds sway in anything.
Its just a position of honour because she made us a sovereign state.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Actually, Canada is still a part of the 'commonwealth' just as much as Australia is. It's purely ceremonial in that we have to worship the British monarch for no reason, and get to participate in things such as the Commonwealth Games. Australia is just as detached from Britain as Canada is, IIRC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_Realm
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

jetbaby wrote:Kill British.

That simple.
Was just reading a story in the paper about my hometown on July 4th. They tore down King George's statue during the revolution, melted it, and made musketballs out of it to shoot at the Brittish.

Anyway how the fuck do Aussies get off calling the British Pohmmie(prisoner of her majesty?) if they're not any better off?
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Subhuman

Post by Subhuman »

Whatever. Sympatico can't possibly employ thousands (or millions) of people to personally monitor every customer's Internet usage, so they'll probably set up some kind of screening system that flags suspicious sites or activities. Unless you're all financing terrorist operations or embezzling funds from your employer, there's nothing to worry about.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

What we get when Queen Elizabeth dies is King Charles. We are, of course, totally sovereign, but we're still technically in the Commonwealth, as meaningless as that is.

And so it seems that, in fact, it is the Ontario education system that is lacking! Oh ho! Yes! Ha! Cunt.

RPG Codex
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

We also have a general governor and a totaly useless senate :salute:
Watchman
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Watchman »

Subhuman wrote:Whatever. Sympatico can't possibly employ thousands (or millions) of people to personally monitor every customer's Internet usage, so they'll probably set up some kind of screening system that flags suspicious sites or activities. Unless you're all financing terrorist operations or embezzling funds from your employer, there's nothing to worry about.

Its that kind of thinking that forfeited this country to the government.
Our Host!