Planescape: Torment

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Planescape: Torment

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Who's played it? Being a hardcore Fallout fan, I was recommended this game, so I installed it last night. Only played it for about 2 hours, but my god, it seems great. Can anyone maybe give me hints or anything (no spoilers please :P) on how to approach this game?

I was thinking about maxing out Intelligence and Wisdom, rest into Charisma (making a new char already), just so that I could get the most out of the storyline (I heard that the mage path is opened up later in the game, so the beginning will be very hard).
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I played it for a while and couldn't get past how bad the combat was. Same reason I never beat Baldur's Gate 2. I suggest sticking to the fighter class because there's no point in doing anything else.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

Especially because magic effects are like something from Final Fantasy.
How many CDs?
Serious Business.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Amazing story, shit for gameplay.

Read a book instead.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Koki wrote:Especially because magic effects are like something from Final Fantasy.
How many CDs?
2 CDs.

I've had a few experiences with the combat. I don't like it, but it's not bad enough to stop me from playing the game.

The thing that I really hate, however, is that you have to explore the map. That is really annoying, I wish you had a Fallout style map.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Ignore Str, Dex and Con. Spend your points on Int and Wis + some Cha. Become a mage at the first opportunity.

The combat can be annoying for some, but I didn't find it to be all that bad. It'll be a breeze if you set it to 'easy.'
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

The combat is ludicrously bad, yes, but it's made better by being a mage (spells end combat quicker). It doesn't take that long into the game before you become a mage. Max out Wis and Int (they can easily be both 25 by the time the game ends, and Wis is especially important because if it's high it will give you massive xp bonuses). Charisma doesn't seem to be that important, but eventually, you might want to increase you Con as well (hit point bonus, plus it will open up a lot of dialogue options.)

I think I should replay it... the game feels like it ends really prematurely, though you can still probably get a good few days' of gameplay out of it.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

There are several good fighter NPCs in the game, so just do as Nicolai says. Some of the spells are just :yikes:. The dialogue is very well written so playing a diplomatic character is really rewarding. Also, get hold of the Modron Cube.
Mad Max RW wrote:I played it for a while and couldn't get past how bad the combat was. Same reason I never beat Baldur's Gate 2.
Infinity Engine, in my opinion, is one of the better combat systems compared to many other CRPGs. A shame you couldn't enjoy the captivating atmosphere of PST just because of the mediocre combat. I guess that rules out Arcanum and Bloodlines, too.
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

Storywise, this is one of the absolutely best games I have ever played. Combatwise, it is not The Worst but not far from it. Though the combat can be unbearable to some the story more than compensates for all the shortcomings of this title.

I am a bit puzzled in regards to why Black Isle made one series of games with great combat (Fallout series) and the rest with absolutely beyond-words-horrible combat (Baldur's Gate, Planescape, etc). Of course, Fallout combat engine had room for improvement aswell but it still outclassed Planescape's and Baldur's Gate combat. Why didnt they just use the Fallout combat system in all of them?

As for character building tips to get the most out of the story (which you should aim to do). As Atoga mentioned - concentrate on strengthening your Wisdom because of the xp bonuses it gives you and it will also open up some dialog options and help you recover more memories. Personally, I dont know about the mage class I did not choose it, but I can tell you this - being a fighter worked great.

See Dan Simpson's FAQ/Walkthrough for more detailed help on character building. Just look at the character guide-part (top) if you want to avoid spoilers.

Oh, and read the biographies of your party members, there is some funny stuff there.

Dan Simpson wrote:Strength: In combat, strength influences both your ability to hit
(THAC0) and the damage that you can do, while outside of
combat it determines just how much stuff you can carry, your
ability to bash open doors and chests, etc. Also there are
some Dialogue options that can only be successfully completed
with a high (15+ usually) strength score. Strength is great
and all, but for a New Nameless One, it isn't that crucial.
But by the end of the game, be sure to have lots of it!

Most useful for: Fighters, Chaotic, and Evil characters

Dexterity: In combat, Dexterity influences your ability to avoid getting
hit by an enemy. Outside of combat, Dexterity is mainly used
for things like thievery. For example, there are some
pickpockets around, and if you are Dexterous enough (oh, 14+)
you can catch them in the act (although you also have to have
a good Wisdom to know to look for it).

Most useful for: Fighters, Thieves, and Chaotic characters

Constitution: Quickens your regeneration rate, adds more HP's per level, and
other fun things.

Most useful for: Anyone

Intelligence: No combat effects. Outside of combat the most notable thing
about Intelligence is how it effects Dialogues. Smart
characters can think their way out of situations (again a 15+
Int is usually required for this). However, some situations
are better solved by a high Wisdom than they are by a high
Intelligence. Intelligence also greatly influences your
mages, not only in the % to learn a spell successfully, but
also in the number of spells that they can learn per Casting
Level. Finally Intelligence increases your Lore skill.

Most useful for: Mages

Wisdom: The best stat in the game, bar none. Wisdom gives a great
bonus to experience, which in turn leads to the faster gaining
of levels. Also has an effect on Priests, by giving them
bonus spells the higher Wisdom they have. But since YOU can't
be a Priest, that doesn't help. The best effect, however, is
in the Dialogues where you will get the BEST options, as well
as the most Recovered Memories, and your "inner voice" will
even warn you of dangerous dialogue options. Also increases
your Lore skill.

Most useful for: Everyone

Charisma: Charisma is useful, but not on the scale of Wisdom. Charisma
has no benefits not in dialogues. It brings up new options,
but these options usually aren't any better than what Wisdom
would get you. Charming your way out of something works less
well than being Wise enough to get out of something. Also can
increase certain rewards.

Most useful for: Chaotic characters

Hmm... this thread has awoken in me a sudden desire to replay this fantastic game.
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Yeah, me too. Anyways, totally ignore MMRW. I love ol' Maxiepad, but he will lead you astray here. Playing a fighter is the worst way to play PST because you'll either be a good fighter and miss all the good shit (and then have mostly horrid combat to "improve" gameplay) or be a bad fighter (by maxing mental stats) and have an even worse time of combat. With a mage, you can boost the mental stats with reckless abandon and be joyful. So yeah, intelligence and wisdom above all, and make sure to pump all NPCs for everything you can get, especially plot-critical ones.

EDIT: And a general tip: In any given dialog, if you're not sure which response to select, the longest one is probably the best choice. Like, when it goes:

1 - Who are you?
2 - What is this place?
3 - [meandering philosophical question/statement] blakhkljhaege agfsehbfksrgrsgjnsrgkjrnsgkjrsnahjgakgdsajngdbfhebgajengjeang eagkeagnekjagneajkgneakjgneajkgeagbveagneajkgnjgnejkngeajk nekjdhgkjdshgkjdsgkljdanjghjdahgjdahgjkdhagjdagjhdajkghdjagha djjadjdajkadhkjdahdkjhdag
4 - I have to go now.

3 is the one that'll give you 20,000 XP every time.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Spazmo wrote:make sure to pump all NPCs for everything you can get, especially plot-critical ones.
Doesn't that refer to, like, ALL of the NPCs in the game? I remember Dak'kon (the guy of the race I cannot remember right now) is critical if you want to pursue being a mage, though (he gives you mucho xp + spells).

Has anybody played through the game as a thief?
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Thanks for your suggestions guys. What's the Modron cube? If it's a spoiler, don't tell me :P
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:What's the Modron cube? If it's a spoiler, don't tell me :P
Just grabs it once you sees it.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

I just installed and started playing PST a few days ago too, what a coincidence. I'm very pleased with it so far. The combat doesn't bother me that much, but I just look at it as a boring necessity for advancing the plot. I find all this advice just fascinating.
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

2 cds? I thought 4 was the universal ps:t standard.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

It was rereleased as a duel-jewel pack with Soulbringer.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

It was rereleased with better compression, eh.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Mine is a four disc thingamajig.

VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Mine came with a nice poster. :eyebrow:
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Mine was owned by like... two other people first.

Our Host!