Replaying Fallout 2

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Luck 1 + Jinxed + combat skills

or

high charisma + speech, etc.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Redeye wrote:Tough Shit Wilson (Sorry, couldn't find mp3 or lyrics, but this is the song which apparently inspired the depressed guy in Vault 13 in FO2. Or maybe they share a similar source.)

S8
P9
E1
C1
I10
A10
L1
Jinxed.
tags: first aid, doctor, traps.

Whatever didn't kill him made him stronger, but also left him crippled.
His health is fucked, he has the worst luck, his personality is that of a social retard... but he has become quite strong, his paranoia and hard-earned wisdom have sharpened his perception, he has learned the value of "run away! run away!" and of dodging, and he really is quite bright.
He gets hurt a lot and is very wary of traps, so his tags reflect this.

perks: bonus move, medical stuff, explorer/ranger/survivalist, tag(outdoorsman), scrounger, cult of personality(so he can have a buddy), mysterious stranger.

This guy actually may be fun to play.

Jet Boy, Jet Girl

S 4
P 5
E 5
C 2
I 6
A 8
L 10
Chem reliant, chem ressistant
tags: barter, speech, gambling (sneak, steal, small guns?)
Perks: flower child, tag(steal), ?

"Oooohhh, man... Cerberus hath breathed up us all, then he fucked off down to the pub and left the Gates open. Gates, man. Doors of perception, can you dig it, man? On one side is what we know, on the other side is the unknown... and in between are the Doors. See, lotta people look and say "It's a Wasteland", to me it's a Painted Desert. "I could walk a thousand miles, and I could walk a thousand more..."
It's fuckin' beautiful, man. Praise the Glow! "
You don't need Magnetic Personality, you can just get the glasses from New Reno (+1 CHA).

I really like that flower child idea. I wonder if you could make an entire build evolving around drugs. You would have 1 endurance, because you take Psycho before every fight, or something like that :P
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

Flower Child is not available in FO2, only in FO1 and FOT.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Ausir wrote:Flower Child is not available in FO2, only in FO1 and FOT.
That sucks.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

Well after damn bug got me in Boneyard I thought to myself "screw it" and I went to Fallout 2(By the way, from my calculations it looks like you can complete Fallout doing all quests in just one day). I went through Klamath and Den and I'm still going, so I shouldn't drop this char like thousands before.

I am trying to play that ubermensch character, just a bit refined:

ST: 4
PE: 8
EN: 7
CH: 4
IN: 8
AG: 9
LK: 7

So in final state this will be...

ST: 10
PE: 10
EN: 8
CH: 6
IN: 10
AG: 10
LK: 10

Can you say powerplay? As you can see this includes 'Gain [x]' perks, wonder where I will get all that XP from... oh well.

Fast Shot, Gifted
Small Guns, Lockpick, Speech +Tag! Energy Weapons

Wish me luck :salute:

[Edit]Oh wait Turbo Plasma in FO2 is 5AP? What kind of treachery is this!
Serious Business.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

You don't need to take the tag perk. Instead, take something more useful. I just played again (I am at the end of the game, in which I already released the toxins into the airshafts, but I still have to blow the generator up. However, I forgot to bring a bomb along, can anyone remember if there was a bomb anywhere in the oilrig? :\).

I am currently level 27, and chose 2xBonus Move, 2xAction Boy (insert Girl if you wish), Bonus Rate of Fire, Bonus HtH attacks, Slayer. Hm, I've forgotten 1 perk...

Anyway, I had a huge problem with stat points during the game, I always had too many and I knew not where to spend them, so I was always walking around with 99 undistributed. This probably happened because I did not cash any points into First Aid, Repair, Science or Outdoorsman. And I always took the stats that you get from quests first...
Peeter
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Peeter »

(Õujee, whad'd'ya know, üks kaasmaalane :joy: )

My current plan (which is ever so subjective to change) is to replay using a character who'll attack enemies only with his hands and feet: no weapons are to be used at all.

Skill tags: Unarmed, perhaps Sneak, perhaps Speech.

I shall boost all stats to 10 before beginning the game (through unnatural methods, obviously). This is rightfully considered cheating. I however presume that I'll have a hard enough time trying to mutilate super mutants and Enclave members and whatnot using only the unarmed skill (no knuckles/gloves either). Not to mention that I just hate missing out on any stat checking quests/happenings, so I'll be able to enjoy a nicely thorough game. :dribble:

STR 10 is going to be helpful when attempting to penetrate the tough skins or armours some enemies have. What do you think, should I give my character any further handicaps to try and make the stakes more even (such as raising stats to 9 and taking the Gifted skills and maybe something more)?
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

As it is entirely feasible to play an exclusively unarmed, skyclad character to completion with mediocre statistics and even unarmed untagged, an enjoyable and not at all stressful or tedious experience - I do not see the point of tinkering with starting abilities in such a way. In a turn based environment, unarmed is arguably too efficient.

That is, assuming you do not play with all the strategic acumen of a profoundly challenged mongoloid. :drunk:
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Tere sulle ka :dance:

Tegelikult ei pea üldse koodima et teha kõigest unarmediga mäng läbi. STR 5est peaks raudselt piisama, ülejäänud saab kätte Power Armoriga ja Red Memory Moduleiga. Kui enne võitlusi probleeme tuleb, võib kasutada ka Buffouti. Personaalselt ma arvan et sellise buildiga hakkab sul igav, kuna võitlused hakkavad sind häirima ja lõppude lõpuks sa hakkad neid lihtsalt vältima niipalju kui võimalik. Kujuta ette Deathclawde perekonda või siis Frank Horrigani... See muutb äärmiselt tüütuks. See on tehtav ilma koodimata, aga saab olema raske. Anna siis progressist märku.

Sneak ei lähe kohe raudselt vaja... Ma soovitaks siis Unarmed, Speech ja Doctor.

Ja soovitaks ka võtta Gifted ja Fast Shot.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

Really? Awesome.

Yeah, after I catched this bit in Ultimate Fallout 2 Guide:
Did I tell you about the time I took out half a squad of Enclave guards in the detention area in one round using the .44 Magnum, killing three with instant kill criticals, knocking one unconscious and wounding a fifth? Bwahahahahah.
I'll stay with small guns. I need all the perks I can get, anyway.

Actually I'm getting pissed because I can't get 3-Step to Skeeter, the requisition form is not in in Harold's place, nor at that nuclear plant guy, and not even at Jeremy to steal D:
Serious Business.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Koki wrote:Really? Awesome.

Yeah, after I catched this bit in Ultimate Fallout 2 Guide:
Did I tell you about the time I took out half a squad of Enclave guards in the detention area in one round using the .44 Magnum, killing three with instant kill criticals, knocking one unconscious and wounding a fifth? Bwahahahahah.
I'll stay with small guns. I need all the perks I can get, anyway.

Actually I'm getting pissed because I can't get 3-Step to Skeeter, the requisition form is not in in Harold's place, nor at that nuclear plant guy, and not even at Jeremy to steal D:
Supply Room Locker/office next to it.
Plus you can pickpocket the supply room guy.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

Yeah, but there was none in either. Turned out I had to ask the supply room guy about the 3-SPT and requisition forms first, and then they appeared. Must be 1.5 thing.
Serious Business.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Did you find the 3-handled Gredunza?
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Redeye wrote:Did you find the 3-handled Gredunza?
Hehe, I think that one is actually a Monkey Island 1 reference.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

I think I haven't played Monkey Island.

Just delivered GECK to Arroyo which turned out to be 404 and Hakunin timeouted. Poor sod. I am still using .44 with FMJ, tried 14mm but it failed miserably. Strangely enough, in inventory it lists FMJ damage as 3/0. Bug?
Serious Business.
Stag
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Stag »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:
Redeye wrote:Did you find the 3-handled Gredunza?
Hehe, I think that one is actually a Monkey Island 1 reference.
What? It's a cat in the hat refference.
Our Host!