So I've started an Arts Program.

Got great hand-eye coordination? Here's the place to show it off. You can also upload your work (images, audio, and video) and view our fan art gallery (currently defunct, bug forum management to fix it).
This is also the forum for all of you blossoming Camus' to exercise your brain power by writing and posting fan fiction.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

So I've started an Arts Program.

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

So I'm going to be teaching an "Arts" class 3 days a week after school next year. Working with all the mediums and delving into a bit of music via the guitar.

Already got a few donations of supplies for working with clays/pottery. Might have a sponsorship deal with Gibson Guitars (:crosses fingers:). Sent out over 40 letters looking for donations, otherwise this program will be a bust.

Here's a tentative look at the webpage I'm throwing together for it. Is it a bit much? What needs work?

EDIT: The black thing on the second image is blocking out my work number.

Last edited by ExtremeDrinker on Mon May 29, 2006 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

Rule #1:
Don't get jacked by your own student.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

ApTyp wrote:Rule #1:
Don't get jacked by your own student.
Don't get jacked by your own student, Mr.Ryan Jones.

:drunk:
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

If we don't get donations, there will be nothing for them to steal.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

You sound like the kind of teacher I never had. :sadblinky:

I hope it's not a subterfuge.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

what will you be teaching? drawing, painting, textiles, print, design? will they have to annotate and use the appropriate visual language or...not? any contextual work? how are you thinking of structuring the year?

lol i do art B)

it might be an idea to put an ad in the paper for any art materials to be donated to you. Since artists die all the time. Or go crazy. As well as students bringing there own shit so they learn the values of whatever. You can use sheets of mdf as the backs of easels, bathroom tiles for palettes, bucket of white emulsion for primer/white paint since it gets used a lot (if you're going to encourage colour mixing). And blank wallpaper to just draw on, hyuk.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I've not got much structure as of yet....The whole thing depends on more donations. Plus, it's going to be pretty simplified in terms of how things are taught. My class, however, does know how to find clays in nature to make pottery and statues. That was an entertaining and extremely dirty day.

And, the students can't bring their own materials because they can't afford them. This school year I paid out of pocket for all the paper, pencils, folders, etc for my class because only one of the students brought so much as a pencil during the first week.

So far our donations include:
3000 sheets colored origami paper
500 ceramic tiles and tile cutters
100 pottery molds including a bitchin ashtray

Other than that, we only have construction paper, about 10 small boxes of crayons and a shoebox full of pencils.

Things we need:

Cone 6 clay
Kiln
Charcoal pencils
Sketch pads (8.5x11 and 18x24)
Oil Paints
Watercolor Paints
Crayons
Markers
Pastels (Oil & chalk)
T-Squares
MDF / Plywood
Canvas
Brushes
Pencils
Glues
Grid Paper
Easels
Paint pallets
Wood & carving tools
Wood burning tools
Soldering Irons & solder
Leather & tools
Old magazines

Planning on 2 weeks of lessons in each area.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

WASAP?

This sounds like a Budweiser ad rip-off D:
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Exactly. It's more interesting to use the acronym than saying the whole thing. It doesn't hurt that kids love beer commercials.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

oil paints? wouldn't acrlic be a better idea as it doesn't stick to every surface in existence. I don't think you'd need all that stuff either, gosh.
:chew:
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I'm partial to oils...I could never get acrilics to do what I wanted.

That list is just stuff I came up with spur of the moment. My class is two days a week (one and a half hour each), so we'll have quite a lot of time to go through a lot of different materials. And if I get all that and we don't have time to use it all in one year, then I can save it for the next year and/or plan time more wisely.

I admit I'm a bit overambitious with this program. But hey..It's an upstart program, and this will look awesome on a resume.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

I always hated my grade school art teacher. She was a horrid bitch and she forced us to work in silence all the time so she could listen to classical music. Whenever she'd walk around, everyone would scratch their nose with their middle finger because it was super witty in fifth grade to do that (hell, it still is a masterstroke).

And my music teacher was a bitch, too. You're not teaching music, are you?
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

...such rage!
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

You could require a small donation fee from every student that wants to join the program so you can get materials and what not. Like 10 bucks or something.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Or you could just sell used lottery tickets as Christmas ornaments and use the profits to buy crayons and whatnot. Never fails. :salute:
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I'm going to teach guitar...And there will be a sign up fee of $10 for each kid.

As for silence in the room, that's BS. The only times a classroom should be silent is when there is a test going on...unless it's an open-book test...I've never understood those teachers that require silence. The only teachers that do that are the ones that sit at their desks all day and give out worksheets.
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

You could start selling crack to fund your program... B)
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Spazmo wrote:I always hated my grade school art teacher. She was a horrid bitch and she forced us to work in silence all the time so she could listen to classical music. Whenever she'd walk around, everyone would scratch their nose with their middle finger because it was super witty in fifth grade to do that (hell, it still is a masterstroke).

And my music teacher was a bitch, too. You're not teaching music, are you?
Ha, I hated both for the same reasons. Add the "morale" teacher to the list. The woman was gigantic and every time she would lower her head over a book to read to the class, her glasses would fall from her nose. I swear, she had to put them back on at least 10 times each class.

What school did you go anyway, Spazmo, and what were your teacher's name? I think the shitty subjects teachers usually teach in multiple schools.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Susan and Spazmo, separated at birth. :chick:
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

EIM in Westmount. Art teacher was Claudette McCuntbag (or something, can't remember the last name) and the music teacher was Carmen something or other. And she wasn't hot like Carmens are meant to be, she was a rotten old whore.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Our Host!