how it will look? what i want

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

how it will look? what i want

Post by Strap »

i at least want the gun i am using to look like the gun i am using.
not only the AK-112, 10mm SMG, flamer, minigun, or 10mm pistol.
i want a laser rifle to be held like a rifle (FOT)

ect...ect...

even if the graphics looked like the origional games, i would still like it.

and if you did a targeted shot to the head, they would get hit in the head, not the left/chest area.

if im holding a P90-c, i would like it to look like a P90-c...

i know i have no effect on the game (even if it is going to be made--Ihope!)

i just wish to express my puny opinion

thankyou
Grand Lord Penguin
Respected
Respected
Location: The secret underground lair- er, dojo of the Penguin style Kung-Fu

Post by Grand Lord Penguin »

::Grabs pointy stick::

ABRAKA-STA...

Wait, no, that's actually pretty good. I agree.
Black Mage: She better have an antidote for FACE STABBIN'! 'Cause, ooh, her face is so stabbed when we get back!
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

yay! no pointy stick for me!

it just seems like common sence (scence?) that as games get better, you will look better and more accurate to what you are using.

im fine with the current graphics on FO1/FO2, but it would be so cool if it was really realistc like.

and if your NPC changed armor, hehe.
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

My opinion on this is that it's a minor issue. I don't care about what it looks like i'm holding in my hand, i know what i'm holding in my hand.

I'd say let them get their shit together and write a decent game, then they can concentrate on doing the graphics.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

There are two issues with what you're proposing:
  1. It would require a 3D engine, unless you're willing to put up with a game that requires monstrous amounts of RAM and processing power thanks to character sprites that have to contain one of each weapon for each character model rather than a few, general types. All of which has to be presented from 6 different angles (8 if they go w/FoT-esque graphics).
  2. This would take a chunk out of the value of the Awareness perk, since you can look at the enemy's sprite to see what they have rather than needing the perk to do it. (Granted, Awareness will still give info on current and max hp of the actor and ammunition of the weapon in question.)
If you ask me it's more trouble than it's worth and trivial aspect of the game. This sort of thing might be important in FPS games, but not in an RPG that has a game mechanic to get around it.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

OnTheBounce wrote:It would require a 3D engine, unless you're willing to put up with a game that requires monstrous amounts of RAM and processing power thanks to character sprites that have to contain one of each weapon for each character model rather than a few, general types. All of which has to be presented from 6 different angles (8 if they go w/FoT-esque graphics).
Or layered sprites could be used, like Diablo 2 and a few other games use. You would have to have individual placements and animations for each weapon, but it saves on having to compile in a completely new graphic for each weapon/armor.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

yea.......

but cant you just immagion it? (immation?)

they cant make the third fallout look like the rest when they where all made more than 4years ago... graphics have advanced greatly scince then.

its my dream damnit!
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

I personally like the sci-fi devices, like the laser rifle, being large and bulky. It gives them that retro-tech look that just makes the game more unique than the others.
------------------
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Strapon2 wrote:it just seems like common sence (scence?)

but cant you just immagion it? (immation?)
Sense.

Immagine.

I would like it too, minor point though.... While we're at it, how about unique sounds for the weapons?

Thank you for your time.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

DarkUnderlord wrote:...
Sense.

Immagine.
Imagine
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Strapon2 wrote: they cant make the third fallout look like the rest when they where all made more than 4years ago... graphics have advanced greatly scince then.
It doesn't have to look the same way the first two RPGs did. Imagine FoT's style of graphics along with the sighting/lighting bubble of the RPGs and you'd have something that would satisfy me, no questions asked. Then again, I'm of the mind that even if they did release FO3 and it looked like the first two with some interface tweaks I'd still be happy. IMHO, any time spent on improving graphics is time better spent on developing the story and setting and � *ahem* � QA work.

OTB
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

more unique sounds would be cool. and how you/your items look would be cool.

but ive gotta agree that more time finishing the story/scripting would be better than graphics. i cant stand all the unfinished stuff and quest glitches in scripting in FO2 (and 1? i havnt played that for a long time now)

but still, it would be cool, even if it looked just like FO1/FO2.
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

My main issue is the required equipment- it should run smoothly on, say, a 400 or 500 MHz machine with no 'extras' (high-end video cards or the like) [Note: This 'bar' would be assuming that it was released at the current time]. If the bar must be pushed up due to gameplay considerations (AI, more advanced scripting, or whatever), then I don't mind. If the graphics that are what push the requirement above that kind of bar, however, then I think they are focusing on the wrong kind of thing. Then again, I must admit that I'm not a graphics person- even on a color monitor, I can't tell the differences between graphics above about Fallout's level.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

OnTheBounce wrote:
1) It would require a 3D engine, unless you're willing to put up with a game that requires monstrous amounts of RAM and processing power thanks to character sprites that have to contain one of each weapon for each character model rather than a few, general types. All of which has to be presented from 6 different angles (8 if they go w/FoT-esque graphics).
it would'nt take up that much with a 3d engine, and you can just have about 5 pre-set weapon holding animations then fill it in with a weapon after-wards. But you can't even try this with a 2d engine
2) This would take a chunk out of the value of the Awareness perk, since you can look at the enemy's sprite to see what they have rather than needing the perk to do it. (Granted, Awareness will still give info on current and max hp of the actor and ammunition of the weapon in question.)
Perhaps you could modify it so un-less you have the perk you would'nt know the weapon name yet. When you have the perk it gives ac, name, weapon, armour weakness, how many hexes they are towards you and how many bullets they have left in their gun (if any)

if it's 2d=I'm not bothered
if it's 3d=It would be nice, but not vital

But I prefer gameplay to looks.
:chew:
Mikey
Regular
Regular

Post by Mikey »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:I personally like the sci-fi devices, like the laser rifle, being large and bulky. It gives them that retro-tech look that just makes the game more unique than the others.
the altered bb guns en sawed-off shotguns and other types of weapons we knew in the middle of the past century made it, for me, more fallouty. not the high-tech (which i consider laser and plasma rifles to be) shtuff.
nein! das ist verboten, goddammit!
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

I think it's a combination of conventional weapons like the sawed off and some older weapons (but represented as generics, like "shotgun", "combat shotgun", "sniper rifle", etc.), and retro-tech weapons (I have particular fondness for that term, and it's no relation nor inspiration from the company of the same name :wink: ). As it's the future as depicted by a 50-60's-ish pulp and radio/tv serials, those kinds of weapons make sense, but in rare cases since they were used to death and then the world got pretty well fucked over. Plus for game-balance, naturally.

My favorite weapon, a turbo plasma rifle. Rapid fire energy death. After that, the .223 pistol, and too bad it's presence and uniqueness was watered down in Fallout 2.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

so.... all (most) of this info that i started gathered together=

awareness is boosted up (AC, ammo, gun, dist., ect..)
posibly 3d models, but i agree that 2d is fine
show guns (even if it made the game bigger..)
more retro guns, and less high tech lasers, ect..
make the hightech weapons big/clunky, so they are kinda retro

and maintain fallout-y-ness, as always.

(even thought this has no effect on how/if FO3 is made)
(but what the hell!)
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Rosh wrote:After that, the .223 pistol, and too bad it's presence and uniqueness was watered down in Fallout 2.
Yeah, too bad they didn't even have the decency to reword the desc, either! "Unique" indeed...

Is it my imagination, or does the .223 pistol look suspiciously like the pistol Decker carried in Blade Runner?

If you're looking for a plausible "RW" weapon that should have been included in the game that still goes with the pulp theme, I'd have to nominate the Colt M1917 revolver. Either a direct copy of the weapon, or something inspired by it would have been a worthy addition.

OTB
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

That's because it is the pistol from Blade Runner. :)
------------------
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

i always wanted to be able to impale someone with a thrown spear, like a critical or something.

oh, even the YKB pulse rifle isnt unique, i think some ppl at the enclave have it, and some bandits or robbers in a random encounter's cave has them too.

PRAY TELL!!!!
what are the unique weapons in FO2??

i think its Lil' jesus (i think thats it, the knife)
or johnny's bb gun is another

thats only 2 i can imagion

(forgive my spelling, and forgetfullness)
Our Host!