NBA Playoffs 2002

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

Hi guys, since the playoffs have already been tipped off, which team, do you think, will have the greatest chance to win the 2002 title?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 29, 2002 9:58 am

LA Lakers
33%
Dallas Mavericks
No votes
San Antonio Spurs
No votes
New Jersey Nets
No votes
Detroit Pistons
33%
Others
33%

Total votes: 3

Bishop
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Bishop »

Charles Oakley... I like him, but he's not young either :wink:
To the soul's desire
the body listens
What the flesh requires
keeps the heart imprisoned
What the spirit seeks the mind will follow
When the body speaks all else is hollow
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

I found a site with the listings for free agents for 2002 and 2003.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2002freeagents.htm

They might not all be correct but its better than nothing
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Well, i'm thinking, trade Webber(though I can't see anyone wanting to take him with such a big salary), get Pau Gasol, Zeljko Rebraca and Terry porter for his experience(there have been PG before to play at an older age than him). Maybe get someone like Kukoc to add to the bench and Mutombo(as a trade? 8O ).
Also get Lazaros Papadopoulos 6-11 227 C (Greece) 1980 from Athens team. I've seen him in Euroleague finals this year against Skiper Bologna. He seems a good man for the job. The above site mock draft page has placed him as a milwaukee pick but they could get him.
Also Bodiroga a Yugoslav that if I'm not mistaken was a draft pick for the Kings some years ago. He's currently the best guard of Europe, tall(around 6'7") and can play as a small forward, also good defensively and a scorer(could be Peja's alter ego). He's very smart too, like Vlade Divac(the reason he could play Shaq better than Pollard).

There are some Lithuanians too, but they'd be better as bench players.
Bishop
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Bishop »

Seems that the league don't have many good free agents to choose from, esp at C position.

Actually, I think King's PG players are good enough.

Oh, jokingly, may be they should get Karl Marlone? :lol:
To the soul's desire
the body listens
What the flesh requires
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

And you say Charles Oakley is too old they might as well get Barkley out of retirement. :D
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Well, I know that Kings guards are good, but not too many of them. I don't consider SF's like Peja to be guards, he doesn't have the ball handling required. In any case I think they need more competent guards to give Bibby some much required breaths(and of course they should be able to score, like Bodiroga does). Btw, Bibby is a FA if you believe the site.
If they don't any good Center's they don't stand a chance next year.
Bishop
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Bishop »

:lol: If Barkley didn't hurt his leg, I'm sure he can play for at least several seasons more.

Kings G are competent G, but sure not very good ones. It will be great if they can sign better ones, but well, may be they can survive w/o it.

This years the Lakers are weaker than before, the Kings still lost to them. I don't really think they'll have a second chance.
To the soul's desire
the body listens
What the flesh requires
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

The Lakers role players are getting older so there is still a chance for the Kings yet. And most teams take a while to get going, just look at Jordan's Bulls and even these Lakers, I remember when they were swept by the Jazz about five years back.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Also losing a title this way(assuming they would get it), has a tremendous effect on players. For some, like, say Webber it can make them fall apart and become losers for life. For others it adds a much wanted experience element that can make them champions next year. Kings do have a good player core. Now if their GM can make a few smart moves. I wouldn't be surprised if they get it next year. Them or the Mavs.

Also if the Lakers win, you might see Jackson retiring or changing team. That would be very bad for the Lakers, since he remains the top coach to win a championship with(not saying the best coach in general).
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

Webber has bounced back before if you have never seen him at Michigan when he called for a timeout when there was not one resulting in a late round exit, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. Bibby also is a guy with an upbeat mentality, so I don't expect to see much of a dropoff with the Kings since their leaders should be fine.

Phil always seems to win when he has the dominant player(s) in the league, Shaq & Kobe and MJ & Scottie. He is still an excellent coach but it is the players that make the team not the coach that is the team.
Bishop
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Bishop »

Hmmm...haven't thought about Jackson changing team...Do you think it's really possible? At this time? I think he's a smart guy, he'll change team before the Lakers start to slide.

Right O'Neal and the others are getting old, Fox, Horry...etc. W/o their support, the game will be harder. As for O'Neal, a beast with over 315lb, I don't think he can support his own body when he gets older and older. But it's still a few years to go.

Of course the Kings still have chance next year, but don't know why, I'm not really optimistic about that.

And it look as though the Nets will get swept in 4 straight.
To the soul's desire
the body listens
What the flesh requires
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

I thought you were protesting these finals, Bishop. :wink:

Yeah it looks like this will be over in four but I have switched my attention to baseball and the Stanley Cup.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

True Slider, I'll grant you that, but you have to admit, someone has to control them. That's why Phil is concidered by me the best for the job. And Lakers had dominant players before but they were losing. I wouldn't expect Jackson to get the championship with the older L.A. team(when Divac was playing) but to say only the players count is an underestimation.

It's no coincidence the Bulls started winning when he was signed. Also remember Rodman's case.
I don't really watch NCAA, so I wouldn't know about past Webber's playing. For me, he's just not fit for a champion.

Bishop, if we check Jackson's stats you'll see he made with this one, 3 3-pits, whith different teams, a record none else will for a while, so I'm guessing its a good chance for him to retire. Also, if he chooses to go to another team, if I were him I would pick one of Celtics, Kings or Mavs.

For the Mavs, I don't know if they have the salary cap availability, but if they manage to sign Duncan next year, they will become my top favorite for the next title.

And something else. I can't remember any team in the NBA history to win 4 consecutive titles, no matter how "strong" and talented, I'm sure Duncan and Kidd and others will play a role to make some team other than Lakers strong. Phil knows that.
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

Yeah, the coach has to control the team, you brought up the Rodman example but I'll bring up the Blazers. They have all the talent money can buy but yet can't get very far, so a good coach is very vital if you want to win.

I think that the Celtics back in the day won 4 or more in a row when they had Russel, I'll check and get back to you.
Thrillkill
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Thrillkill »

lakers have a chance of winning next year, Shaq is only 30 and Kobe sorta had an off-season this year (although his rebounding and assists seem to be up). I would thnk their younger players like Deven George (assuming he doesnt get traded, hes a free agent after this season) and slava medvedenko would get more playing time. Theres no doubt that slava is a good scorer (great jump shooter and close to the basket) but needs work on defense however.

The next season will probably be the last for Brian Shaw, and Horry is a maybe for next season. It all really depends how the few younger players on the Lakers improve over the offseason 8)

I hope Jackson returns next year, he said he'd hope to be here maybe 4 seasons, so if he sticks to plan next year might be his last, or even now he might leave
Bishop
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Bishop »

Here's the scenario I set up for Jackson. Retire for one year, the Lakers lose the title, then Jackson returns, peat the 3-peat. :x
(totally fictional)

I haven't watch any of the Finals, don't like seeing the Nets playing the catching-up. Yup, I'm protesting.
To the soul's desire
the body listens
What the flesh requires
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

Jackson just said he won't coach another team after the Lakers and he wiil stop when he is 60 at the latest......

I think that once he has a season where they don't win the title, he will retire.

And Bishop, you're not missing much of anything. :wink:
Our Host!