How many copies sold?

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

How many copies sold?

Post by VasikkA »

How many copies of Fallouts (1 and 2) have been sold worldwide? Any exact numbers?
danferry
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by danferry »

Well, I only bought the duel jewel pack. So there is one! :BIG:
I support everyones right to make a fool of themselves.:chainsaw:

I just wish I didn't do it so often.
:yikes:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Not sure... But I can tell, that FO's were Interplay's bestsellers at the time.

And I think FO2 sold much better than the original... But again, I'm not sure of this.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Really? I thought fallouts didn't sell so well, that they were undervalued if that's the correct word for it. But i guess they're still selling it as some sort of collection packs.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Same here, until I got some readings under my nose. Damn, can't find them now, though... But Fallouts did sell and they still do. It's just a shame, that this wasn't enough for the marketing so they thought they should make a combat-oriented game (FOT) to increase the profit.

... and we all know it was a flop. And one of the reasons why FO3 still isn't under developement is, that the D&D-games sell even better than SPECIAL-games. That's why we've seen BG, BG: tales of the sword coast, BG2, BG2: throne of bhaal, IW-Dale and IW-Dale 2 and no Fallout 3 :?
danferry
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by danferry »

Well, I remember playing D&D when younger, and it was a blast! I also remember all the crap that was going around about it too. I'll be moving soon, and when I'm relocated, I'm going to try to start a PNP Fallout game. Youn know, at a weed table, soda and chips all over tha place, and the rattle ov dice. That is the only thing missing with computer games. The other people around to argue, and play around with. :grab:
I support everyones right to make a fool of themselves.:chainsaw:

I just wish I didn't do it so often.
:yikes:
Crud
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Crud »

You would think that with the following that Fallout has, that they would be more inclined to make a Fallout3... but I think you're right when you talk about BG... Fallout is sci fi, and more people like fantasy than sci fi...
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

That's what's odd about it, all these identical Fantasy Games. You'd think people want some variation these days. Then again, there's people who play 20 different 3D FPS Shooters and claim they're all different. So there.
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Rat Keeng wrote:That's what's odd about it, all these identical Fantasy Games. You'd think people want some variation these days. Then again, there's people who play 20 different 3D FPS Shooters and claim they're all different. So there.
I understand your point, but unfortunately, the time old formula still stands. Develope makes innovative game that refreshens the genre, and everybody copies it to get rich quick. Repeat every several years or so. It wouldn't happen though if people didn't buy all those said copies. :evil:

The one that really gets me is all the people who get pissed off if you tell them that Baldur's Gate is just a hack'n'slash. :?:
Crud wrote:Fallout is sci fi, and more people like fantasy than sci fi...
I wouldn't say that. Fantasy is fantasy. Same old dragons, same old wizards. There are many sub-genres in SF, and FO doesn't appeal to all of them, unlike BG and IWD in their respective genre.
fuck
Crud
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Crud »

Slave_Master wrote: I wouldn't say that. Fantasy is fantasy. Same old dragons, same old wizards. There are many sub-genres in SF, and FO doesn't appeal to all of them, unlike BG and IWD in their respective genre.
True... but I think what I was mostly referring to that more people like the dragons and wizards and whatnot as opposed to anything that's would be considered sci fi... whether the sci fi takes place in space, or has to do with time travel, or if it takes place after a nuclear war. ;)

But after thinking about it for a bit, Starcraft is one of the most popular games of all time... it's an old game, and yet, it still has people playing it years later and new people discovering it every day... so i think your point is taken. ;)
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

But people are dumb. Alas, there are hundreads of players online playing DIABLO 1 at the very moment :roll:
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Kashluk wrote:But people are dumb. Alas, there are hundreads of players online playing DIABLO 1 at the very moment :roll:
Heheh. I can see your point, but I think that Diablo games were pretty good. Action games, I mean. I don't view them as RPG's at all. Now, if you said that there are hundreds of players blabbing about how great of an RPG Diablo is, than I would agree with you 100%. :)
fuck
BigJack
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BigJack »

I think ppl consider Diablo an RPG cuz of it's complexity (skills to use, items to get... pretty much like fallout) and pretty much like fallout we can run mindlessly killing stuff just for the fun of it (of course fallout still is complex in battle... and thinking twice diablo (the 2nd) can be too if you use skills so there, thats why ppl consider it an RPG). Hope i'm right.
"When Angels deserve to die." - SoaD (System of a Down)

A Member Of The Knight Organization
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Heheheh, have a funny memory from Diablo :D

For ages Diablo 1's problem has been the hackers... Everyone can have a 50 level character with all the toughest equipment available. Now I had a huge warrior-dude on 30 level (legit, I swear) and with nice spiked armor two handed blade and all that crap.

Then I saw five hacked mages (all looking the same, with "cool" hax0r names like l)3z7r0J3r, c1ll3r etc.) and I started role playing in the chat.

Kash: Good day to thee, ou most precious mages of the unknown lands. What may be thee cause and reason to wander in this countryside also known as my beloved town centre?

haxor number one: wtf!!!1

haxor number two: dud is gay go away

haxor number one: fack u!!!!!1

haxor number three: u feggot go rpl smwhere els!!

haxor number one: yea!!! be4 we kick ur @$$

Kash: Alas, I'm nothing to be considered as your foe - I'm only the person responsible for the order of this town and I don't think thee have come here for just a picnic.

haxor number three: letz go teh duds crazy!!!1

haxor number two: k

haxor number one: k

* players X, Y and Z have left the game *

:wink:
BigJack
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BigJack »

LOOOOLOOOL ppl who hack are stupid ppl who can't play cause the game is too complex for them and that story says it all...

Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

BigJack wrote:and thinking twice diablo (the 2nd) can be too if you use skills so there, thats why ppl consider it an RPG). Hope i'm right.
Just a complex action game. It isn't the complexity that makes a game an RPG. Ask yourself, what are all the skill for? Why am I driven to find new and better equipment? To kill more powerful enemies, that's why. Now, what other genre is about killing? Action games. So there you go, just a complex action game. :D But you are right, that is why people consider the series roleplaying.

LOL, Kashluk. I played D1 a bit online after many hours on D2, and it freaked me out. If only Blizzard had Realms back then..... People hacked the hell out of the game! Oh well, as I asked a hacked up mage: Why do you care so much about getting numbers for an imaginary character? He killed me, of course, but that question is what sets Diablo from RPG's.
fuck
BigJack
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BigJack »

Whew for one moment i thought i wsa gonna be considered a wacko...

Oh well lamer item dupers exist in D2, they cant the items by themselves so they dupe (the bastards) and we the honest players pay with that...

Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

BigJack wrote:Oh well lamer item dupers exist in D2, they cant the items by themselves so they dupe (the bastards) and we the honest players pay with that...
And you should be proud to be one. It's difficult to find legit players among very popular games like Diablo or Counter-Strike these days. As being an honest player you make honor to yourself.
Our Host!