how many upgrades can you get for the car?

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

how many upgrades can you get for the car?

Post by Strap »

i know you can get the fuel cell regulator, to get it to run
and that other one from klammy, to make it more economical
and something in NCR, a blower named "claudia?"
and wasnt there some thing you could get from TJ's chop shop? if you BS him enough

are there anymore? or at least clarify the ones ive slightly got
thnx
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

There's 2, but one you only get once the game is finished. The first is T-Ray;s upgrade. It seems to make the turnk slightly larger and that's about all.

The second is also T-Rays! However T-Ray is highly defective and will never remember you, so when you return, the script will have reset (and you can't ask him to buy fuel cells, and thus not for the second upgrade).

The second upgrade is the hover-plates or grav-plates or something. ALlows you to go REAL fast and waste almost no cells.

To get it you need NOT to get your car stolen until you've finished the game... Or alternativly, let it get stolen, but only get it once you've finished the game, but um... that's a bit counter-intuitive :)
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

wait, thats gonna be kinda tough...

but.. does it make the car look different? like, no wheels?
that would be really cool
DansingMungki
Respected
Respected

Post by DansingMungki »

I got the upgrade first time I played but the second time I never bothered with the upgrade from TJ as I didnt like his attitude so I killed everyone in the garage, Im not an evil character he just pissed me off. Its a shame when someone bitches at you and throws the first punch that you then have to take on everyone in that area even though it had nothing to do with them

I never have anything worth keeping anyway, theres only medical supplies in my car.
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

The grav-plates don't make the car look any different but I could be wrong because I only got it once.
justhere82
SDF!
SDF!

Post by justhere82 »

hmm grav plates huh and makes using cells virtually nill

well cool, but it should be actually in the game not at the end, would be usefull when it helps, like the fallout2 hint book should be in the elevator in the Toxic Caves since u have to have an electronic lockpick to get down there, so you get the e lockpick around level 13 for me in ncr, but ya know just another cool thing for the ppl that spend the hours to be it and spend more doing nothing afterwards ...
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

justhere82 wrote:the fallout2 hint book should be in the elevator in the Toxic Caves
I sure hope you're kidding.

The car should have been left out of the game anyway, but that would probably have cut the sales in half :)
DansingMungki
Respected
Respected

Post by DansingMungki »

I like th car, it would make going to and from cities an absolute nightmare without it.
Red

Post by Red »

Actually, to me anyhow it wouldn't. You practivly no logner encounter anything once you get the car... And once you get Claudia it's even worst (as the car goes faster)... Basically after the getting it I get at most 2-3 random encounters when playing a normal game...
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

What's ridicoulous about it is you already travel at extreme speed by foot, then you get the car and you travel even faster. Of course there's the trunk for all who've played Diablo and enjoy pointlessly hoarding items like crazy, which makes it even worse.
danferry
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by danferry »

Rat Keeng wrote:What's ridicoulous about it is you already travel at extreme speed by foot, then you get the car and you travel even faster. Of course there's the trunk for all who've played Diablo and enjoy pointlessly hoarding items like crazy, which makes it even worse.
I know that this is stupid as hell, but I hoard weapons and ammo and armor for the new Arroyo. :drinking:
I support everyones right to make a fool of themselves.:chainsaw:

I just wish I didn't do it so often.
:yikes:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Yup, me too. I already got 6 Power Armors, 8 Bozars, 10 Plasma Rifles, 20 Tommy Guns and ~5000 rounds of ammo for all those guns :roll:

Oh, and of course 150 Super Stimpacks and 900 regular ones! :twisted:
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

Kashluk wrote:Yup, me too. I already got 6 Power Armors, 8 Bozars, 10 Plasma Rifles, 20 Tommy Guns and ~5000 rounds of ammo for all those guns :roll:

Oh, and of course 150 Super Stimpacks and 900 regular ones! :twisted:

...in a post-nuclear world. Then again it's not, if we're talking about Fallout 2, that was more sci-fi than post-apocalyptic.

BTW, didn't you ever stop while playing, look at all the crap in your trunk, and say "What's the point?"? I sure as hell would have.
danferry
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by danferry »

Yeah, but this time I am going to resist the temptation to hoard (at least only long enough to sell the crap). :?

Red

Post by Red »

It's actually pretty easy, and once you get used to not hoarding it makes the game even more enjoyable, as personally I found it a pain to keep having to organize all my stuff around...

1) Don't steal anything you don't really need (unless you really want it)

2) Ditch the items which are now useless (cheezy poofs is a good example)

3) Don't go overboard killing. It's fun killing, but less items when trying to not kill everything in your path :)
Ghetto Goose
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Ghetto Goose »

you're wrong.

steal everything, and sell it. also, when bartering, get the prices as close as possible even if you take little things just to balance it out. dont just drop stuff, unless you need the room/cant afford the weight, and even then, find somewhere to store it. sell it, use it to get a few more caps, cuz a "few" more caps from every store in fallout equals muchos pesos.
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

I only play scavengers at the moment. Like the scavs in the Boneyard, i don't steal anything, i don't kill people just for items, and i don't rob houses that are obviously inhabited. I only pick up items left behind by people on the ground or in abandoned buildings.

Apart from that, i have 0 barter skill, and as such it would be a waste to barter with what little items i have.
BigJack
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BigJack »

Rat Keeng wrote:What's ridicoulous about it is you already travel at extreme speed by foot, then you get the car and you travel even faster. Of course there's the trunk for all who've played Diablo and enjoy pointlessly hoarding items like crazy, which makes it even worse.
When i played FO2 in my old (very old) 486 16 MBs RAM 100MHz the car was quite some help for the travelling so dont say that...
"When Angels deserve to die." - SoaD (System of a Down)

A Member Of The Knight Organization
Crud
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Crud »

I like the car when i am trying to go from here to there to wherever... but when i want to rack up some exp, I'll leave the car somewhere and just start wandering around...
As for storing stuff, I am bad about that, too... but then, i do try to sell pretty much everything... but it works out really well for me since most of my characters use small frame... which is also the same reason I bring along Sulik or whoever else... i just use them as mules.
danferry
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by danferry »

Well, I didn't hoard as much as I usually do. The stuff I had in the trunk was for selling. Tried to get the Gauss weapons for all that could use it. So the stuff I had were pricey items for trading,

Our Host!