The Radiated Society Episode One - A Fallout Sitcom

Got great hand-eye coordination? Here's the place to show it off. You can also upload your work (images, audio, and video) and view our fan art gallery (currently defunct, bug forum management to fix it).
This is also the forum for all of you blossoming Camus' to exercise your brain power by writing and posting fan fiction.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

rad-x wrote:Calling whoever a 'meanie' or feeling any sympathy is pointless because in posting this I wasn't looking for forum acceptance or praise/criticism. I wrote this 15 months ago and I've got more than enough critical feedback in that time. I asked a specific question about it. And if that question wasn't going to be answered, there wasn't any point in keeping this here.
There is also no point in taking it down.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

It adds drama to the tears.
Don't hate him because he's beautiful.

"Everyone's a girl when they're face down."
rad-x
SDF!
SDF!

Post by rad-x »

It is my decision where I display my own work. Not yours. Not anyone else's. Mine.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Sorry, I didn't know you had a copyright on it and your publisher would get mad if you kept it up.
rad-x
SDF!
SDF!

Post by rad-x »

Forget that. I wrote this. It means something to me personally. I came onto this forum, and opened it up for criticism. I opened it up for praise or rejection. And I didn't even get nothing. I got worse than nothing. This fiction means a great deal to me and I shouldn't have to stand by and see it subjected to disinterest.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

6/18 NEVER FORGET
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

What a crybaby. Suck it up or slit your wrists. I didn't know people in Glasgow were such pussies.
Don't hate him because he's beautiful.

"Everyone's a girl when they're face down."
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

rad-x is an aberration, it seems.
rad-x wrote:And I didn't even get nothing.
You wanted nothing ?
rad-x wrote:I shouldn't have to stand by and see it subjected to disinterest.
Reaction is not your business, my emotional friend. Once you cast your work into the public arena, you are absolved of any control over how it is received. Your words are the only decider, not you. You asked for feedback, and to an extent, received it. Instead of taking this in stride, you appear to have dismissed the overall response as a symptom of reader mental incapacity, amongst other things not your writing. When writing for others, criticism and apathy are as much a part of writing as writing itself. They are essential for honing one's skill and work. They raise questions. Will you improve from what you've gathered here, or abandon it and continue ?

In retrospect, I am rather disappointed that that rad-x pulled the piece. I would have liked to at least had the opportunity to read it. :drunk:
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Perhaps your eyes are failing you, friend Blargh? The piece was salvaged and posted on page 1 by team CLUB. D;
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Perhaps so, friend Nicolai, why else would I have such an interest in the eyes of others ? Factually, they (my eyes, my eyes !) do tend to glaze over when the words 'Naked_Lunch' appear on the screen. An overdose of 'lol', 'swell guy' and 'jew', I think. I shall have to get them checked by a butcher.

True edit(s) : Actually, curse you (and I mean that in the nicest way possible, friend Nicolai). 'Twas utter bollocks. There, subjected to scorn rather than disinterest. You should be honoured, rad-x. I would advise consideration of a (ho ho !) change of career. Yes. I have read there are openings in death. Yes.

All The Love In The World,
Blargh

P.S.S :

Huzzah !

:drunk:
Last edited by Blargh on Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Naked_Lunch

Post by Naked_Lunch »

rad-x wrote:Forget that. I wrote this. It means something to me personally. I came onto this forum, and opened it up for criticism. I opened it up for praise or rejection. And I didn't even get nothing. I got worse than nothing. This fiction means a great deal to me and I shouldn't have to stand by and see it subjected to disinterest.
:cry:

OMG LINKIN PARK WUZ RITE! You tried so hard, and got so far, but in the end, it doesn;t even matter.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

I'm happy to be of service, friend Blargh. :drunk:
hat_man99
Bombastic Mullet
Bombastic Mullet

Post by hat_man99 »

K im back, did i miss anything :?
"Banned in 2 posts" :salute:
Subhuman wrote:A guy ripping open his anus, a man in chaps getting fucked by a horse, and a girl spewing enema all over her face in a bathtub are okay, but a 15 year-old's cock is off-limits. Only on DAC.
King of Creation wrote: Aaannnnnnnnd to the wasteland :salute:
Naked_Lunch

Post by Naked_Lunch »

Rad-X slit his wrists.
rad-x
SDF!
SDF!

Post by rad-x »

Blargh wrote:rad-x is an aberration, it seems...
No, no, no. You, in many ways, reach similar conclusions to me. First of all, feedback is what I came here for. I agree with you when you say ‘criticism and apathy are as much a part of writing as writing itself’. I agree that ‘they are essential for honing one’s skill and work’.

Apathy is one thing I anticipated. You completely fail to interpret this in my last post: ‘And I didn’t even get nothing’. Nothing means something. Nothing doesn’t lie. Nothing is apathy. Nothing is where no one can be bothered to post about the completely worthless bit of stuff before them or couldn’t be bothered to read it.

Nothing speaks louder than the first three posts at the top of this page, for certain. And it was only those three posts. What is clear, if you read the posts, is that they didn’t read the fiction. Fine. Brilliant. I should hire some marketing people. Great. Don’t want to read it. Apathy.

But then it isn’t. Or it doesn’t suit the line of thinking in your post. Fact is they are there to cause offence to me and perhaps even show a general apathy towards actually reading fictions. Look at this for interest:
hat_man99 wrote:Fallout, sitcom, funny, good try, to long to read, Goatse

:drunk:
What purpose does that post serve? What lessons can I learn apart from using pictures of blonde, 19 year old Scandinavian every paragraph and overdosing on coloured text? ‘I didn’t read it, but I’m sure it was totally awesome’. Apathy. I don’t want to read your fiction and more importantly, I’m going to post now to take the piss out of you. …It doesn’t fit in with your post. It doesn’t fit in with your idea of the situation.

Remember where you are. Remember what constitutes the ‘public domain’ here. We both know this community isn’t exactly Pleasantville. When I saw the first three posts, my reaction was not a frenzied ‘Why God?!’ but a wearisome ‘I should have guessed’. Maybe you should ask yourself what kind of community this is that you represent where a writer is treated with contempt simply for writing. Actually you shouldn’t. You know fine well what this community is.

In the 15 months since I have written this my writing has improved a long way. One thing that you didn’t see was the brief statement after ‘The End’ which I took away when I deleted the fiction. The fiction is not a work of art – I know this. Its purpose in life was as something for the TRS community. Something we can laugh about when we are portrayed and put into the Fallout universe. Like a member, ‘Pip’, becoming some sex god. Like a member called ‘Thorgrimm’ who says ‘dipshit’ a lot – its funny to the members to see it magnified more. The entire thing is not well-made and is full of unnecessary exclamation marks that say ‘Laugh here’. This isn’t a serious piece of work and I would have written it much differently today. So many of the jokes have a humour to them because they simply reference things that happened in forum life – ‘hyperextended finger’ isn’t funny but a member of the small, cosy community that TRS is could say ‘Fuck, remember when that happened?’ The specific question I refer to throughout this topic, which was in the statement below ‘The End’ and you probably missed, was about how the jokes worked outside the community. How they were perceived and how much they lost as a result. That matters a lot.

I’m not much the wiser. Still, this response was perhaps overly long anyway.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

You don't seem to realize that there are a lot of incoherent spamming idiots polluting this forum, namely Hat Man and (sometimes) Naked Lunch. Anyway, the point is some people actually, legitimately wanted to read it (Pooperscooper, for instance), so even if a few people say "too long wtf," you should roll with the punches adn leave it up, dipshit. Moreover, you shouldn't judge the community by the first few people who responded.

Cheers Thorogrimm :salute:
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
rad-x
SDF!
SDF!

Post by rad-x »

I'm not responsible for the spammers on your community. You as a community are. Its not up to me to control them. You've built a repuation generally as being a bad place to be. And you'll build that repuation when a new user comes to the forum and is confronted with this sort of thing. Perfectly in my rights to be displeased and not want to keep my stuff here.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I'm a part of the community, and that does not make me responsible for the spammers. Its a forum with individuals who posts stuff, everyone can say what they want unless its nazi land. You wanted feedback but you wouldn't leave it up for more people to take a look or spam the thread. I dont think you want feedback, I think you want some type of RESPECT and a special title under your name so that you will be praised as the cool pro writer X.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

So to recap; Rad X posted a story 2 days ago which Hatman and Lunch simply asked for a summary and so Rad X got pissed and deleted it before anyone who really wanted to read it could and now is in abit of a spiff because apperently said "spammers" need to be put under control for criticizing his work for being too long? Correct me if I'm wrong here, but that sounds like a really bullshit reason to throw a tantrum.

Really, what's the complaint here, am I missing something? All I see is bitching over nothing and can't understand what all the hub bub is about.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

rad-x wrote:I'm not responsible for the spammers on your community. You as a community are. Its not up to me to control them. You've built a repuation generally as being a bad place to be. And you'll build that repuation when a new user comes to the forum and is confronted with this sort of thing. Perfectly in my rights to be displeased and not want to keep my stuff here.
DAC has a reputation as an awesome place to be, because you can generally say whatever the hell you want. Granted, there is a lot of spam and random idiots, but it's not neutered in the same way that NMA is. If you don't want to get flamed, though, then leave.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Our Host!