Optimizing Fallout

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Mad Max
Regular
Regular

Optimizing Fallout

Post by Mad Max »

On Fallout website they told how to optimize FO1 and FO2 by copying the Master.dat and critter.dat and changing the fallout dir settings but I found a problem my FO2 disk is pretty scarred from 6 year's constant use and my Critter.dat for FO2 is corrupt (that would explain why it lock's up) I was wondering if anybody or anyplace I could aquire this specialty item.

Thanks
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Re: Optimizing Fallout

Post by Alexander »

Mad Max wrote:On Fallout website they told how to optimize FO1 and FO2 by copying the Master.dat and critter.dat and changing the fallout dir settings ...
Isn't that just the same as doing "Humongous istallation"?
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
Mad Max
Regular
Regular

Post by Mad Max »

No this way you actually don't need the Fallout disc and runns without a glitch

But I need a FO2 critter.dat file PLEASE!!!!!!!!
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Just download an iso.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Yeah. I made one myself, so I only had to for the veeery, very small installation and I'm still running it from my hard drive.
Mad Max
Regular
Regular

Post by Mad Max »

I don't think I'm getting to you clear, I need either to know what an ISO is, and where to find it, or need a Critter.dat which is like 150mb or a way around this cablamal and yes I said cablamal u gonna stopp me
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

1, What country are you in? If you've got enough hd space to make a copy of the cd then, unless you've got the european version, you don't need the cd anyway with a humungous install.

2, Check out the news forum, for a limited period in the US you can get a new copy.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Mad Max
Regular
Regular

Post by Mad Max »

God Damn its my Disk!!!!!!!!!!! (I talking real slow) Critter.dat IT IS CORRUPT CORRUPT CORRUPT CORRUPT (Talking real fast) SO goddamn it I either need what I asked from before or I am just going to have to pirate it and that is my only last measure I usually do the legal before the illegal
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

.iso, an iiiimaaaage file extension.
(I'm talking really slow here too, see?)

im·age ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mj)
n.
Computer Science: An exact replica of the contents of a storage device, such as a hard disk, stored on a second storage device, such as a network server.

Try peer-to-peer file sharing networks, such as dc++, BitTorrent, Kazaa or eDonkey to get yourself an image file of the game (this is completely legitimate since you do own the original copy, right?). Now that you've got the image file (roughly something around 600-700 MB) get yourself a software utility called DaemonTools. This will run a virtual cd-rom that will show in your own computer and you can mount this said image file onto this drive and your computer will think you just inserted a normal CD.

I think this really is the only option you have at the moment, since your CD seems to be ruined and you can't change it (I doubt any of you buds have it, nor can you send it to Interplay since they're screwed).
Mad Max
Regular
Regular

Post by Mad Max »

No it is not the only option if someone had a Critter.dat for fallout 2 then they could copy it from there disk and then send or put it on there share list on kazaa, then I would be able to get it instead of a ridicuolus 600mb when if I have the Critter.dat it will be around 150mb see my point. This game I run off an old Pentium 166mhz computer because it runs fast enough and don't want to take up space on my good computer. It only has a 1.5gb hard drive and I would need a small file to have enough room ok, ok
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Well, yeah.. But you can burn an iso to a CD-R and then just copy the critter.dat file off the cd.
Mad Max
Regular
Regular

Post by Mad Max »

shit
Last edited by Mad Max on Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I don't do Kazaa, it's for fags.
And I doubt anyone's email could handle 150mb file attachments.

And just to let you know, if you had spent this time downloading that .iso instead of whining on these forums, you would have it already and you'd be playing FO like the happy punk you are.

Cheerz, mate
I hope you rot :drunk:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Kashluk wrote:I hope you rot :drunk:
Seconded. Cretins are bad, but cretins who whinge and moan in an effort to coerce others into applying effort for them ? Well, they're infinitely worse. :drunk:
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

If you're looking for people to send you illegal copies of the game, then ask elsewhere, Mad Max. See <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewt ... =9097">The Rules</a>.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

Why don't you just look at the main news page and buy the game through that GoGamer sale which may or may not still be happening.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I'll just PM the link cause im hardcore.
Mad Max
Regular
Regular

Post by Mad Max »

when does it stop
Last edited by Mad Max on Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

:rolleyes:

Dear god, some people never learn.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

And that's why I not only have originals but burned copies and ISO's on a few various DVD backups.
Our Host!