Playing tag(names)

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Playing tag(names)

Post by Retlaw83 »

When I give an entity a tag name in the entity editor, then call upon it to do something on a mission map, nothing happens. What's up with that?

In this case the problem is afflicting a prefab PC and an NPC; the triggers governing speech nodes and such refuse to fire, even though their tagnames are spelled correctly in the box for it. I know giving the NPC a tagname with the "edit entity" function in the mapper will work fine, but this isn't a solution for the prefab.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Are you testing the map by placing the prefab directly on the map via the level editor or by actually picking the prefab from the character selection screen?

If it's the former this is probably your problem
When working with tagnames always add the tagname in the level editor and not the entity editor, unless your tagged item or recruit is going to be placed in an inventory, or be available via the Recruit or Quarter Master. Because when you place items or actors etc in the map the field 'tagname', above the entities window, overwrites the tagnames given in the entity editor.
If it's the latter then I have no idea, double check your capitalisation is correct or you haven't left a space at the end of the tagname in the entity editor, silly stuff like that.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

To make a tag named entity accessable when setting up the trigegrs on a map you will have to have that entity on the map or it will not even register on the pull down list of tag names. I assume you did that? Then when the map is complete and the triggers have been tested to work correctly pull the entity off the map. Did you do that? If both those steps have been done and the problem persists then there may be other issues.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Actually you can just type it in if the tagname doesn't appear in the pull down list, but you've got to make sure it's exactly the same, spelling capitalisation and spaces.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

It's always better to directly insert the entity to make QC testing easier.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

If you add an actor or an item (unless you add it to someone's inventory) directly to a map you've got to type in the tagname anyway, so I prefer to add it to the pull downlist myself. I usually copy and paste the tagname in if I've added it in the entity editor.

I don't play test maps individually, I make a save game before I leave a map and then if I change any map I can just load up the appropriate saved game. That way I can see more accurately how things are going to play and chart the progress of a character better.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Thanks, guys. You've helped out a lot. My problem with the prefab was directly inserting him on the map; I don't know what the other entity's problem is, though.
- the Vault Dweller
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Get rid of any spaces in the tag name.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I don't got no spaces in the tagname. I'll puzzle it out eventually.
- the Vault Dweller
Our Host!