Bartering with vending machines

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Bartering with vending machines

Post by Retlaw83 »

I made a functional vending machine. Only problem is you can barter anything with it, and the stuff you bartered with ends up in its inventory and can be bought back. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Nah sorry, I think the only way to stop someone trading something is to give it a negative value and have the vending machines barter skills really high. But I'm not 100% certain that will work, and to be able to trade the items with other people they'd would have to have much lower barter skills.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

I don't know of any solution, either.

In the original version of the Nuke on the Rubble I had a functional vending machine with fruit, jerky, etc., but since I didn't like the idea of sliding M17 Carbines into the change slot I shit-canned the idea.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

It's times like this that I wish that they had included a second value field, so you'd have one for BOSscrip and one for RingPulls with a different value in each. It would of made more sense when using two currencies, but enough with the what ifs. GRRR!
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:It's times like this that I wish that they had included a second value field, so you'd have one for BOSscrip and one for RingPulls with a different value in each.
Yes, that could have solved the problem.

Then again, it would have been nice if they would have coded in more types of currency, too. That way I could have used Caps, BoS Scrip, and homegrown versions of Morningstar Kokoweef mine scrips.
req/dirge wrote:[E]nough with the what ifs. GRRR!
Yeah, sounds good. :lol:

BTW, Retlaw, you might just want to use your vending machine like they did in MP maps: as simple containers. Not as exciting as bartering w/one -- then again bartering wouldn't be quite right, either, since it should simply charge fixed rates -- but if you put it somewhere out of the way it would be a better place to put some snacks than a simple crate.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Yeah. I so wanted to stick a functioning vending macine in Borderton, though, just to demonstrate their progress in rebuilding.
- the Vault Dweller
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

The only other ways I can think of, are to tag everything. Give anything that's not a quest item a generic tagname, i.e. all weapons tag weapon, all armours tagname armour etc. Then have triggers that monitor what the vending machine has in it's inventory and if someone barters an item then reject it and kill the vending machine or something, though that's a lot of trigger work.

The other way is to have a container vending machine which people can take from for free, add to the dialogue that as a reward they can help themselves to the out of date items in the machine as the guy is just about to refill it. Or have the items really expensive, so much so that even if they bartered all their goods, weapons and armour they wouldn't be able to buy even one item, then have some vending machine tokens which are of a higher value, so that you can only buy from the vending machine with the tokens.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Or have a few copies of the vending machine with the same inventory off screen. Every time someone barters with something then do the old switch to get a fresh machine. I assume the player wouldn't go back to it more than a couple times, so maybe 4 extra machines and the appropriate triggers would be sufficient.
lamorea
SDF!
SDF!

Post by lamorea »

why would you barter with the machine anyways, Heres an easy idea, Butt smash, grab food. repeat. Or if it's tough glass, M-60 burst into the machine. Why would you pay for anything :S (Unless its in a bunker/city, in that case, I dont know what to do :()
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

The whole point to make a functioning vending machine was so I could put it in a city.
Retlaw83 wrote:Yeah. I so wanted to stick a functioning vending macine in Borderton, though, just to demonstrate their progress in rebuilding.
- the Vault Dweller
Dexter
Regular
Regular

Post by Dexter »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:Or have a few copies of the vending machine with the same inventory off screen. Every time someone barters with something then do the old switch to get a fresh machine. I assume the player wouldn't go back to it more than a couple times, so maybe 4 extra machines and the appropriate triggers would be sufficient.
Still leaves you with the problem of slipping AK47s in the coin slot, though.
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

i messed with vending machines, i got SOOOOOOOOOO fed up with the bullshit I just quit.

deleted post?
does this work
Our Host!