The Firearms Thread.

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Kashluk wrote:
Wolfman Walt wrote:In other news. My rifle kicks everyone's ass.

Looks perky. How does it shoot?
Quite handsomely. The ACOG I got it set up with is a very nice sight and overall it's just an excellent rifle.

Also - it's an E-4, not a STG-556. E-4 has acouple of improvements, such as the magazine not falling out when it's ejected and the ability to take AR mags.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Sounds sweet. I take it's .223? You going to use it for hunting or just for creational sharpshooting?
rad resistance
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by rad resistance »

Rifles I just ordered DPMS 5.56X45 Oracle and Remington R15 .450 Bushmaster. Gonna use the Remington for hunting.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Kashluk wrote:Sounds sweet. I take it's .223? You going to use it for hunting or just for creational sharpshooting?
5.56/.223. I'm mostly running .223 through it though since it's slightly cheaper. I use it mostly for recreational, but also for tactical shooting training.
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

Wolfman Walt wrote:5.56/.223. I'm mostly running .223 through it though since it's slightly cheaper. I use it mostly for recreational, but also for tactical shooting training.
223 cheaper?? No surplus nato?
does this work
Cakester
They call me Bum Tickler

Post by Cakester »

THAT IS SWEET! Can I Fire it on civilians though?
I been K-lined, G-lined, and Kalvin Klein'd. Nevermind , my kicks, temp bans, perma bans and accusations that i use contraband. i am a hardcore troller, from when i get out of bed, till i fall asleep contemplating the new trolls that lay ahead. 24/7 the net is active, gotta preemptive or be two two puh packive
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

fallout ranger wrote:223 cheaper?? No surplus nato?
.223 is 5.56mm NATO, you retard.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Negative, Ghost Rider. And I hate to side with Fallout Ranger, but there is a slight difference in the rounds.
While the external case dimensions are very similar, the .223 Remington and 5.56x45mm differ in both maximum pressure and chamber shape. The maximum and mean pressures for some varieties of the 5.56 mm (different cartridge designations have different standards) exceed the SAAMI maximums for the .223 Remington, and the methods for measuring pressures differ between NATO and SAAMI.[5] The 5.56 mm chamber specification has also changed over time since its adoption, as the current military loading (NATO SS-109 or US M855) uses longer, heavier bullets than the original loading did. This has resulted in a lengthening of the throat in the 5.56 mm chamber. Thus, while .223 Remington ammunition can be safely fired in a 5.56 mm chambered gun, firing 5.56 mm ammunition in a .223 Remington chamber may produce pressures in excess of even the 5.56 mm specifications due to the shorter throat
As for surplus NATO. I haven't really looked around abunch, but at the stores I go to, .223 is cheaper than 5.56 at the moment.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

So .223 is 5.56mm, but 5.56mm is not .223. It's still a stupid pissing contest kind of question asked to look cool.
- the Vault Dweller
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

Retlaw83 wrote:.223 is not 5.56mm NATO, I'm a retard.
Fixed.

They even made a chamber to maximize interchangeability, .223 Wylde. Maybe it would help for you to KNOW what is being discussed.

Same Guy wrote:...a stupid pissing contest kind of question asked to look cool.

Yeah, trying to save money on ammo is a stupid pissing contest...you dickbrain. But i was thinking of by-the-case prices for recreational shooting, since i handload my target/hunting ammo.

Buuuuut anyway, (Retlaw need not comment) anyone here do any 1000+ yard shooting? Competitive or otherwise.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

fallout ranger wrote: Fixed.

They even made a chamber to maximize interchangeability, .223 Wylde. Maybe it would help for you to KNOW what is being discussed.
Sorry. My bad for being specifically told .223 and 5.56mm were interchangeable. Of course, that was information given to me during military training as part of operating M16s, so there was no need for me to know you can't do it the other way around. This coupled with the fact none of the weapons I own take .223.

You seem like a self important dick with nothing going for him. Sure Snake isn't an alt of yours?
- the Vault Dweller
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

Retlaw83 wrote:You seem like a self important dick with nothing going for him.
This inference is based on...?

Retlaw83 wrote:Sorry. My bad for being specifically told .223 and 5.56mm were interchangeable. Of course, that was information given to me during military training as part of operating M16s, so there was no need for me to know you can't do it the other way around.

Makes sense, since they all have NATO chambers. Listen nobody's trying to discredit you or some shit. Fact is you were wrong, why the need for your pissing contest line...

I wrote:Anyone here do any 1000+ yard shooting? Competitive or otherwise.
This is the topic.
does this work
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

BACK TO YOUR COCKTALK GENTLEMEN

Post by Blargh »

Retlaw's entire life, is, I suspect, a pissing contest. Of some sort. The only rule seems to be : return fire or be pissed on ? Tragic. :drunk:
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Internet Insecurity?

ehue
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

fallout ranger wrote:
I wrote:Anyone here do any 1000+ yard shooting? Competitive or otherwise.
This is the topic.
I know a couple of guys who compete in military sniper class kind of stuff. Short range targets between 800 and 1000 meters, long range targets beyond 2000. Four hour competition where the targets will only come visible once (at random time, no way to foretell) during the time, for 30 seconds. A large outdoors sector where you need to co-operate with your spotter to find the target and adjust the sights in time.

It's not sports. It's a way of life. Those guys are both nuts. They spend all their money on this little 'hobby' of theirs and spent most of their free time practicing and competing.
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

Kashluk wrote:They spend all their money on this little 'hobby' of theirs

It's true, the first time you watch the pressure wave moving downrange through the scope, see the hit, and hear the rather jolly pinging sound ~3 seconds later, all other shooting seems lame and boring.

BTW thanks to you guys for the 338 Lapua. Kick Ass. :dance:
does this work
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Well, um, you're welcome. I guess. I tend not to feel proud of accomplishments of other people who I can only relate to by the fact that I live in the same geographical position as they did.

Lapua ammo in general does, indeed, kick ass.
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

Kashluk wrote:Lapua ammo in general does, indeed, kick ass.

Fact.

Speaking of 338, my current project is this old Type 99. 26" fluted Heavy Bull barrel in 338-06 Ackley...Data for 250 gr. Sierra MK.

Energy of 44 mag at 1000 :drunk:
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Re: BACK TO YOUR COCKTALK GENTLEMEN

Post by Retlaw83 »

Blargh wrote:Retlaw's entire life, is, I suspect, a pissing contest.
You suspect wrong.

Now open your mouth so I can pee in it.
- the Vault Dweller
Junktown Commando
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Junktown Commando »

I, like most true gun experts, am a perpetual fan of the AR-15 Series, though I do want toe get several different upper receivers (and a burst-fire trigger assembly, though I’m not gonna install it so I ‘legally’ don’t have an M-16 variant).
I’m also trying to find a semi-auto shotgun that can be attached to the underside like the M-26 Masterkey.
I Believe In “Peace Through Superior Firepower.�
Do you?
Our Host!