Brainstorming: Low Tech Mission

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Cranberry
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Brainstorming: Low Tech Mission

Post by Cranberry »

Having pretty much finished my 'Balanced Weapons' mod, although unreleased (nobody downloads those anyway, heh), I'm moving on to making a map. It's going to be a Mad Max type of map, with mostly spearguns and stuff, with the most basic of firearms highly prized.

The plot: You live in a stockaded village in the wastes, made unique because it has caves underground where hydroponic farms have been set up. These caves are also the source of fresh water, so the village is prosperous (although these caves are really the remains of a bunker, with an operational water recycling system). It's in the centre of America, removed from the location of the main plotline.

So, your nice little village trades with other villages and nomads for what it can't produce.

One day, you and your buddies return from trading to find that a rabid bunch of raider bastards have taken control of the village. You must go in and kick their asses.

-----

Weapons: Six varied firearms on raider leaders, with scarce ammo. A flamethrower on one of the defense towers near the fuel dump but it's so heavy it's not a practical weapon.

I'm considering adding crossbows, and several types of speargun (heavy, crude, etc). There are molotov cocktails hanging about.

Most people will be using spearguns, spears, or other low-technology weapons.

-----

I'd like opinions, suggestions, anything you've got.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I like the idea of making the wasteland more primitive - definitely do it! The plot sounds suspiciously familiar - what movie was that from? Was it with Jan Michael Vincent?
Cranberry
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Cranberry »

I just made up the plot as I went along. I might do second instalment in which a squad of BoS arrive toting M16s (this is why the raiders were fleeing east) and try to 'pacify' the town in order to get to the bunker beneath.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Sounds like a good plot for a map - singleplayer, right? :D

I also like the idea of having lots of low-tech stuff to play with. I'm definately looking forward to playing the map!

This one, Quartz, OTB's demo, whatever pops out of Endocore's head next, WalterN's next one if he makes one, etc.

Basically, I'm lookin' forward to every FOT SP map :mrgreen:

Oh, a question for ya, CB:

When/if the BoS comes to the village, will the player control the BoS or the villagers? I think a low-tech, highly-strategic defense vs. the might of the BoS would be a thrill and a half to play :D

Anyway, good luck and have fun makin' the first map!
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:Was it with Jan Michael Vincent?
If it was it was most likely a "straight to video" affair. :lol:

Oh shit! I have the Air Wolf theme stuck in my head now!!!

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Cranberry
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Cranberry »

Villagers' side, of course. I think it'll be a learning experience from the other guy's point of view, as it were, when a hummer full of BoS bastards pulls up in the town square and out pours a full squad in metal armour with M16s -and your best weapon is that UZI you took from the raider leader, and you only have 25 rounds left.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Cranberry wrote:...your best weapon is that UZI you took from the raider leader, and you only have 25 rounds left.
I like that a lot. Ammo management has never been a serious enough issue in the FO universe.

BTW, are you going to take steps to ensure that the PCs don't get much ammo like setting most of the Raiders' supplies to "Non-Lootable"?

OTB
Cranberry
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Cranberry »

The raiders will have limited ammo too; I don't want them spraying randomly and indefinately. "Wait until he's out of ammo" will be a valid tactic, although then you don't get any of the ammo, either, which sucks. Also, you need to be in harm's way to attract his fire, and since your armour will either be Leather Mark 1 or not there at all, you'll probably be dead before his gun is empty (yes, my firearm raiders will be able to aim, shock-horror, and these weapons will kill in two-three hits at most).

There will be two beretta pistols and an UZI, with maybe 75 rounds of 9mm, total, and most of that on the guy with the UZI*. One M1911A1, with maybe 14 rounds maximum. A Hunting Rife with no more than 12 rounds, and a Silverhawk shotgun with no more than 8 shells.

*The raider leader. He'll be a bitch, since he'll be in the Elder's tent with a crony, who'll have a beretta. You won't be able to 'nade him out, since you'd chunk the Elder in the process.
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Forty-six & Two »

OnTheBounce wrote:
Oh shit! I have the Air Wolf theme stuck in my head now!!!

OTB
Ive had that tune on my cell phone for ages, been to lazy to change it.... Hmm actually im starting to like it :? . Daaa dada da daaa dada daa.... DADADA Da da da. Hehe.

Anyways. Sounds cool, me myself have been doing something alike it for awhile. :)
Walks with the Snails
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Walks with the Snails »

Sounds fun. I'll definitely try it. Plentiful ammo is one of the reasons melee never really had a chance to shine IMO. It can be a lot of fun when you have to make every bullet count. Don't forget to leave lots of guns but no bullets if you're really going for the Mad Max feel.
Cranberry
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Cranberry »

It might be interesting to replace the 'club' sprite with a gun sprite; since you don't have any ammo, you go around beating people over the head with it :D
sniktch
SDF!
SDF!

Post by sniktch »

The movie is Steel Dawn, Patrick Swayze.... :D
"Oh Sh*t. Not again."

Random Pedestrian
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Yeah, that's the one! That was one hell of a bad movie IIRC :)
Grand Lord Penguin
Respected
Respected
Location: The secret underground lair- er, dojo of the Penguin style Kung-Fu

Post by Grand Lord Penguin »

Now, out of boredom, I cam to the FOT board. I read this topic. As soon as the map comes out, I'm grabbing it and reinstalling FOT. Its sounds like it can save my FOT CD from the mircowave (I tried selling it. They wouldn't take it. Damn Piracy protection policy).

Good luck and make more like it.

And yes, Steel Dawn was horrible.
Black Mage: She better have an antidote for FACE STABBIN'! 'Cause, ooh, her face is so stabbed when we get back!
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

if your not done yet, add some bow and arrows, cause they are relatively easy to make, and are primitive. or sling/slingshots, that would be cool. the sling whould have a high chance of nocking them out
Cranberry
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Cranberry »

Just an update.

The map is coming together okay (first real one; I'm having to figure some stuff out as I go).

To address points, I'm not putting in bows/slings/other medieval era weaponry (the crossbows are going to be modern, naturally.) This is because while the villagers are not modern-level, they aren't dirt-sucking, brahmin-humping savages. They would certainly be able to make spearguns, and would favour them over bows for range, ease of use, and power.

Incidentally, I'm trying to flesh out the village's culture (although not much will be apparent in game). 50s names suggestions (such as Marilyn) would be appreciated.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Cranberry wrote:Incidentally, I'm trying to flesh out the village's culture (although not much will be apparent in game). 50s names suggestions (such as Marilyn) would be appreciated.
How 'bout "Tuesday", as in Tuesday Weld?

OTB
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Annette, Martha, Tina, Mary, Linda, Patricia, Karen, Barbara, Sharon, Susan, Nancy, Kathleen, Debra, Sandra, Deborah, Cynthia, and Pamela.

Need any more?

http://www.potifos.com/given.html
Cranberry
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Cranberry »

Another update.

While I do still exist, I'm dealing with other stuff in the dreaded Real Life right now and will be for quite a while. This project may be on the back burner for several weeks before I get around to putting in some serious time on it.
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

Cranberry wrote:Villagers' side, of course. I think it'll be a learning experience from the other guy's point of view, as it were, when a hummer full of BoS bastards pulls up in the town square and out pours a full squad in metal armour with M16s -and your best weapon is that UZI you took from the raider leader, and you only have 25 rounds left.
Now that would be an ambushing, molotoving, guerilla warfare tactics bit of fun!

I can almost see lone (and horny) BoS troopers being lured down dark alleys by comely village maidens to meet their doom, sleepy sentries getting garroted with rusty barbed wire and female sappers throwing home made satchel charges into APCs packed with wounded Bos troopers....

Lovely!
Our Host!