Playstyle Challenges

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Red wrote:Yeah, but what the heck does gambling, as posted bu someone have to do with Mad Max? Unless you consider the "quests" he took a gamble?
What??? Who, where, when?!?!? 8O
Red wrote:Point was that apart of probably small guns skill, he wouldnt't have specific stats. He'd probably just be generic in it's repartition, just like that char.

Well, ok, so then you wouldn't invest in energy weapons...
Read my post on the previous page:

Small Guns, Barter, Steal!

The two latter, because he had to trade a lot to survive + he stole quite a lot... At least in the third movie (if I remember right).
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Oops, I meant bartering. It's true that he does so in Mad Max, however the way bartering is implimented in FO/2 it simply isn't worth it.

As for the third movie, I don't even rememeber if I saw it. I rented the 2 first of the series in watched them, but my wife didn't want to rent the third one as she foudn the two first quite boring, and well, they are really...
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

There is always the possibility to play Fallouts the stupid way. INT 3 or lower. And that's a challenge enough. Playing with 1 AGI or 1 STR are fast ways to raise difficulty, but to be honest, why bother?

Mad Max char would be better suited in a game of FOT.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Nah, there ain't a leather jacket nor is there a sawed-off shotgun. Plus, too many fights and you end up dead with such a character :D

And Red the point is that it's not supposed to be the optimal way - it's supposed to be a challenge. Yes, bartering ain't useful in FO - but that's the way Mad Max is, let him be so :wink:
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

That's kind of the way I look at it. Although Max never relied much on science or diplomacy, FO and FO2 would put him in a lot of situations he never encountered in the movies. Since he did what he had to to survive, for the most part, I figure he would resort to convincing the soldiers to help or activating the turrets.
Cranberry
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Cranberry »

He was using a shotgun and leather jacket out of neccessity; they were the best he could find, while everyone else was using spear-guns. If you're going to play an adaptive Max, limiting weapons is slightly silly if he adapts in other ways.

Consider; if you gave him a suit of Power Armour and an HK G11E at the start of Road Warrior, do you think he'd favor his jacket and shotgun over them?
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Well, sure, but it just wouldn't be Mad Max. You could say that you could also cheat, because if Mad Max had the choice to make himself invincible and have unlimited supplies, he certainly would have. But that's still no reason to cheat.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Cranberry
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Cranberry »

From my perspective, he couldn't. I don't know the cheat codes.

This is beside the point. Adaptation is doing what must be done to survive. Cheating is not neccessary for survival in Fo2.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

It's not supposed to be realistic. It's a neat way to make the game more difficult, but you can still justify using science and diplomacy.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Someone should make a mad max mod for fo:t...that would be sweet.
:chew:
Cranberry
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Cranberry »

Might be interesting to make a level with all technology knocked down a step; spearguns, pointy sticks and close combat.
Stealth boy
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Stealth boy »

Maybe modify the sawed off shotgun to give it slightly more zip and the leather jacket to provide a bit more protection. Play a Cheech & Chong meets Mad Max game --- a leather-clad homeboy wasted on acid and meth with a real unlucky streak (Jinxed). That should be challenging AND hilarious.
Our Host!