Survivor: Chernobyl, a.k.a. the outdoors thread

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Survivor: Chernobyl, a.k.a. the outdoors thread

Post by Gimp Mask »

I think a lot of you are into outdoors stuff, like camping and shit, I don't know. Tell me a bit about it please. Personally I like being on a computer quite a bit. But maybe I could buy a rugged laptop to put in my butt-out bag, and spend some time surfing in the great outdoors?

What do you do when you embrace mamma nature? Do you:
- build a shelter or use a tent,
- whittle,
- hunt,
- go home because of mosquitoes

I would like to be more outdoorsy but then I am pretty indoorsy so I don't know. I feel very comfortable at home. I like looking at product reviews and coming up with new ways to spend money instead of just sleeping under a tree or in a sex dungeon or something. Like I would probably only use a knife to cut up a sausage to smaller pieces, but I think I need a $200 6.5 inch full tang carbon steel blade in case I need to fell a tree or chop off my leg. Right now I am watching a video about tying different kinds of knots, I don't even have a rope

The 3 Essential KNOTS for Tarps | Camping & Bushcraft | Tarpology Essentials | Plus a Thank You!
Apr 15, 2021
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

I camp, hunt, and hike. I used to be a serious backpack camper but now I just car camp, which is more fun than anything else.
Amis
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Amis »

I usually sleep next to a fire I find tents tedious so go to the good ol' fashion way of insulating myself.
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

Camping with my adventure touring motorcycle sucks alot I have finally decided. I tried everything to make it as hassle free and comfortable but if you plan on constantly moving on, as in 'traveling' then the time and effort of repacking everything again and again really is a kick in the balls.

Next year or so the plan will be to travel as light as possible, no tent or sleeping bag, no food, small amount of clothes - and stay at Airbnb outside on the countryside , I think it shouldn't be a problem to do same walking through nature.

TLDR: Skip carrying shit. Trek from place to place.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

I think I'm going to buy a hammock and never use it

Goes well with this pretty decent tent I have that I've used once
Hyacinth wrote:Camping with my adventure touring motorcycle sucks alot I have finally decided. I tried everything to make it as hassle free and comfortable but if you plan on constantly moving on, as in 'traveling' then the time and effort of repacking everything again and again really is a kick in the balls.
Yeah I would imagine that you'd really have to enjoy camping for it to be worthwhile, especially if you're constantly switching locations instead of setting up camp for a good while. AirBnB travel sounds good if you want to concentrate on the good stuff. Or maybe you could build a shack, set up some turrets, lootcrate etc
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I like the idea of camping, but most of the time it goes wrong or I just feel like shit the morning after.

Last time I went camping was for this black metal festival but I forgot my sleeping bag so I just slept on the floor of my tent but in the night it started raining and I got woken up by lying in a cold puddle.

I like what I imagine camping could be though. Probably nicer in a warm country or if you know what you're doing.
:chew:
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Megatron wrote:I like what I imagine camping could be though. Probably nicer in a warm country or if you know what you're doing.
Hahah that's a great way of putting it. I've been reading a lot about camping and am pretty sure at this point that I'll end up spending about 500 euros on gear I'll probably use once or twice. Oh well.

Last time I went camping was a few years ago, me and my co-workers slept under a big tarp and I had a good sleeping bag & pad, slept like a baby even though temps were below freezing point and it snowed a lot that night. It was fun, but I was high and shit-faced so maybe that helped
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

Drugs and booze definetly help with sleep quality.

I am gonna try sleeping like you described with a tarp, but with a hammock instead next time. Tents get bad air quality after a night.

I camped this summer for 8 days straight :survival: and it was like 30+ for 4-5 days, heat sucks equally as much as cold, the sweet spot should be mid spring or late summer i figure.
munchkin
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by munchkin »

Tent camping, in my opinion, is a younger person's weekend endeavor. At my age (36) no way do I want to sleep in a sleeping bag on the ground(without AC or heat) and definitely no way DW is cooking over an open fire! Open fires are to sit around in the evening with an adult beverage in hand. A shower and hot water and a crapper are must-haves at my age!! But go and enjoy tent camping on the weekends and keep the RV for longer trips would be my advice.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

munchkin wrote:Tent camping, in my opinion, is a younger person's weekend endeavor. At my age (36) no way do I want to sleep in a sleeping bag on the ground(without AC or heat) and definitely no way DW is cooking over an open fire! Open fires are to sit around in the evening with an adult beverage in hand. A shower and hot water and a crapper are must-haves at my age!! But go and enjoy tent camping on the weekends and keep the RV for longer trips would be my advice.
hey cabron i sent you interview questions like months ago check your pm's ese
congrats on 100 posts

i bought a sleeping bag, felt claustrophobic might return it later
Our Host!