photography

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

photography

Post by Gimp Mask »

Do you guys like l'fotografie, aka "the illuminated painting", the noblest art form of all.

I have tried to think about the type of photography I enjoy, it's hard to figure this shit out okay. The common theme seems to be human versus nature. Like we're struggling to break free from ourselves? So we make some sort of a last stand, the most unnatural reality imaginable, but there's no pleasure in that either. Mind at the end of its tether I guess, but I also like stuff that just looks pleasing so I don't fucking know.

Anyway here are a few pictures that I like. How about you, what do you like?
(you can click on the hyper link to expand the thumb nail)

Image Image Image
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I probably like Weegee a lot, it was like 'humans of new york' but instead of little thoughtful bits about life it was black and white photos of filth

that kinda street photography stuff anyway. I found him very inspirational and tried to go out taking my own street photos but they turned out a bit shit because I was a spooked little bumpkin who daren't go run up to some bozos with a big flashing camera and such - also in the end, why try and imitate something that has already been done I guess?

I like pictures and other peoples pictures and even taking some pictures my own - I like the feeling of people lost in the great mechanism of the system thoyug, especially when the system has failed in some way - so old run down industrial areas or forgotten suburbs or whatever else, just people making do

nowadays most of my photo input comes from goth lasses on instagram reposting horror movie things behiund the scenes or maybe some east european teenagers huffing glue in a broken greenhouse, whichever way

I just like the edgy stuff okay, I'#m an edgy kinda guy :chainsaw: I wear sunglasses
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

quick DAC moodboard, I'm pretty basic :chick:

Last edited by atoga on Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Lovely assortment, atoga, I can totally "vibe" with you as the younglings say; I can spot Todd Hido, Greg Girard at least. Here's some random shit downloaded from the Instagrann that just looks nice.
(I will also refrain from posting every piece of brutalist architecture for now)

ImageImage
I like the feeling of people lost in the great mechanism of the system thoyug, especially when the system has failed in some way - so old run down industrial areas or forgotten suburbs or whatever else, just people making do
That is quite the feeling, yes
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Here are a few snap-shots I have captured during my intercontinental travels,
maybe you like them maybe you don't but I hope you do! Cheers thorgrimm

SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Kino.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

tight photos Gimp Flask, thank you for sharing. are they all Seoul?

here's a few snaps of mine from the old camera roll, you get the idea. post will self-destruct maybe :chew:

Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Yes, these ones I posted are all from Seoul, from 2019

Lots of exquisite shots there! I am happy that I started this thread, hopefully the post won't self-destruct quite yet so I can come back and revisit your pictures, there's something pretty cool about looking at a beautiful photograph and then thinking "that one's by atoga, I know him from DAC". The first one is definitely my favourite
Megatron wrote:I . . . tried to go out taking my own street photos but they turned out a bit shit because I was a spooked little bumpkin who daren't go run up to some bozos with a big flashing camera and such - also in the end, why try and imitate something that has already been done I guess?
That was my experience as well, for me it was a good reminder that just because you like how something looks, it doesn't mean it's something you should do. It would have looked terrible, I'm glad I didn't have the cojones for it
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

thanks my friend, glad you like em :salute:
Gimp Mask wrote:(I will also refrain from posting every piece of brutalist architecture for now)
a brutalism thread is something I've been preparing for my entire life, I'll get one rolling
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

LOL!
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

very nice photos, I dont think I can even take a picture properly because my eye struggles to focus through the viewfinder lol but v good I am jealous if you can even say that these days
:chew:
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

I like the bottom pic Hyacinth, reminds me of a certain ex dacers exquisite zoomwork. something voyeuristic about it, but then you're looking at...nothing. I don't think there's anything more perverted than that.

These are all by Ian Howorth, I like his compositions and colors a lot:

Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Fan Ho, Hong Kong, 1950s maybe
my favourite photo of his
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

George Byrne is p.tite:

I like minimalist stuff like this that doesn't try to hide that it's photography;
the texture, contour, organic elements, all that shit is still there
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

those are nice, very Hockney :boomer:
Megatron wrote:very nice photos, I dont think I can even take a picture properly because my eye struggles to focus through the viewfinder lol but v good I am jealous if you can even say that these days
if (hypothetically speaking of course) you wanted to learn a new skill, you can learn to be ok at photography in like an hour
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

i don't know who that is but I trust you, whats his @tiktok
atoga wrote:if (hypothetically speaking of course) you wanted to learn a new skill, you can learn to be ok at photography in like an hour
QFT as the oldboys used to say. My personal workflow is to snap 20 or so pics, choose the least ugly one and crop and straighten it and things like that, then play with the "filters" for a bit until it looks haute couture as shit, ????, profit! Turn it into a meme, become immortal: priceless.
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

I have no talent, but sometimes I like to pretend that I do. Mostly I just like to save neat scenes and moments.

Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

I really like the snowy picture, very cool! Thanks for sharing

I try to make my pictures look like how I view the world if that makes sense, so I do a lot of post-processing. I tried to capture "neat moments" for the longest time but just about every stupid mundane thing is neat to me and usually they make for terrible photographs haha!
Amis
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Amis »

Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

Our Host!