Dreadful work anxiety

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
munchkin
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Dreadful work anxiety

Post by munchkin »

I work in an admin based role in a hospital and I like my job but it's causing me so much anxiety. I'm still on probation and terrified of making mistakes and being seen as not being good enough and being sacked. I was going through some papers on my desk today just to make sure I hadn't missed anything and found a couple of things I had missed, I sorted them out but I know it'll be picked up by my supervisor and I don't know how I'll explain it without it being obvious that I just cocked up :(

I am also so worried I'll have missed something urgently, even though it's not actually up to me to flag anything urgent, if something goes wrong I know it will be my daily, as I've learned from working in the NHS that the admin staff often get the blame for things going wrong, even if it wasn't our fault. I'm not saying I don't make mistakes because I do and they are my own fault and I do learn from any mistakes I make but I've discovered even the slightest mistake and management aren't very understanding.

I just wish I could not let it get to me so much and stop worrying so much about making mistakes. I'm sure I won't pass probation.
Any advice?
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Now I'm not working in administration or anything, but in my experience you go far by acting with confidence, take responsibility for your mistakes (and inform about them before anyone notices), and always be open in your communication both with superiors and subordinates.
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

Sounds like impostor syndrome a bit.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

I also work in a hospital and there is ALWAYS mistakes, human error is norm in the human world.

Is the work culture so bad really or are you tense about being new and uncomfortable in the new environment?

Anyone new to a job should be getting some slack for mistakes in the beginning. I sure made a few. It takes a while to establish a routine of theddaily grind and during that period everybody makes mistakes.

Looking back at when I started I clearly was deep in the ignorant belief that I knew what I was doing. Things are better now. ;)

Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

To me it sounds like you simply overthink this stuff and worry too much but you need to figure out why you worry so much before you can truly address the problem.

Netflix has a new show called Headspace Guide to Meditation, it's a pretty good introduction to the subject and I still think you would really benefit from uncluttering your mind a bit. EP4 specifically deals with stress & anxiety so maybe you want to skip ahead and watch that one first and try the guided meditation of the episode
:pray:
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

How's things munchkin? Is the probation over yet?
Our Host!