Burning Surplus Ammunition.

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Cranberry
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Burning Surplus Ammunition.

Post by Cranberry »

I'm playing around with the available weapons in the game. Again.

This time, though, my attention has turned to massive surpluses of ammunition. I'm trying to come up with weapons that can eat away all that ammo at such time as it becomes obsolete or in supply so plentiful it's embarrassing (ie, the massive amounts of rifle ammo from the Super Mutants, or the way you often have a couple of thousand 9mm rounds left when you leave Mardin).

The miniguns are fairly good at wasting rifle ammunition, but I've yet to find a decent way to scrap 30-06 cal; When does the Lewis Gun become available? I've never found that, to my knowledge.

.303 cal has been removed. I added a MAC10 and an MP5K to burn .45 cal and 9mm, respectively.

Any ideas regarding weapons that can burn Small Energy Cells or .44 Magnum rounds?
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Re: Burning Surplus Ammunition.

Post by OnTheBounce »

Cranberry wrote:...I've yet to find a decent way to scrap 30-06 cal; When does the Lewis Gun become available?
The Lewis Gun is available only in MP play. However, this is a good idea for a weapon that can burn .30-06 ammo.

Right now you may be muttering, "What? A Lewis Gun in .30-06?! The devil you say!" However, it's true. The US either produced or purchased - I'm not sure which since I've just rearranged my books after having moved and can't find my best reference on small arms - a number of Lewis Guns chambered for the then-standard .30-06. My suggestion would be to replace the lone Bren Gun found in Great Bend w/a Lewis Gun that has been modified to fire .30-06. It's a better (or at least more likely) choice for a MG found lying around in a ditch, if you ask me. (If you've ever seen The Sand Pebbles, the Lewis Guns mounted on the USS San Pablo are of this type.)
Cranberry wrote:Any ideas regarding weapons that can burn Small Energy Cells or .44 Magnum rounds?
You could add a type of energy SMG to the game. Use the Spasm Gun sprite, set the damage to the same as a Laser Pistol (12-22, IIRC) a RoF of 10, range of 35 (30 for burst) and viola! you have a viable weapon that can chew up those pesky SEC that you have cluttering up the otherwise immaculate interior of your APC.

I don't have any ideas for the .44 Mag. rounds.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Cranberry
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Cranberry »

Er, as I recall the FoT Lewis was already 30-06. I chambered the Chauchat in 30-06 (this is kind of a joke weapon, it fires only one 10rd burst before falling apart, but you can pick it up from the corpses of some raider bosses who I felt needed better weapons. They have working, nonlootable versions firing nonlootable 7.62mm, so the corpses always come with 10 rounds of 30-06) as I didn't want to add a whole new 8mm ammo type for it.

I suppose what the 30-06 needs is a decent weapon to fire it. Once you get past St Louis the M1 Garand rifles are obsolete, as is the Browning Auto Rifle when it becomes available. Although it might be interesting to edit in a Lewis, by the time you get to Great Bend you're shooting robots and every single member of your party will have either a plasma gun, a grenade launcher or a rocket launcher.

Possibly some sort of enhanced 30-06 sniper rifle hanging about near Gammorin is the answer.

As for the energy SMG; conceivably. I've been playing around with the idea of having an 'Incapacitator;' a weapon that does only one damage, but has a 50% Critical Hit bonus. It could conceivably fire 10 rounds in a burst.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Cranberry wrote:Er, as I recall the FoT Lewis was already 30-06.
No, the FoT Lewis Gun is chambered in the standard .303 British round. (I just checked to make sure, too.)
Cranberry wrote:I chambered the Chauchat in 30-06 (this is kind of a joke weapon, it fires only one 10rd burst before falling apart, but you can pick it up from the corpses of some raider bosses who I felt needed better weapons. They have working, nonlootable versions firing nonlootable 7.62mm, so the corpses always come with 10 rounds of 30-06) as I didn't want to add a whole new 8mm ammo type for it.
There actually was a .30-06 version of the Chauchat. However, it looked much different because unlike the 8mm Lebel cartridge the .30-06 is only semi-rimmed and hence didn't require the same semi-circular magazine.

My personal version of the Chauchat has a LU requirement in addition to a Min ST. I'm still looking for a decent picture of some 8mm Lebel to make a sprite out of, though.
Cranberry wrote:I suppose what the 30-06 needs is a decent weapon to fire it. Once you get past St Louis the M1 Garand rifles are obsolete, as is the Browning Auto Rifle when it becomes available. Although it might be interesting to edit in a Lewis, by the time you get to Great Bend you're shooting robots and every single member of your party will have either a plasma gun, a grenade launcher or a rocket launcher.
Yes, I agree here. I think the M1 Garand is a bit underrated compared to other rifles in the game. One thing that might help it a bit would be to change the .30-06 ammo to FMJ if you're leaving the rifle/big gun ammo types in the standard "None" configuration. This will help it deal w/armor a bit more effectively than its competition.

As for the BAR...it's really in a gray area. I think it should have been made a Big Gun, personally. However, it is obsolete in the worst way by the time you finally get your grubby mitts on it.
Cranberry wrote:Possibly some sort of enhanced 30-06 sniper rifle hanging about near Gammorin is the answer.
I suggest one of the sniper conversions for the M1903 Springfield. You can easily find pics on the net for sprite material.

OTB
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Forty-six & Two »

OnTheBounce wrote:
You could add a type of energy SMG to the game. Use the Spasm Gun sprite, set the damage to the same as a Laser Pistol (12-22, IIRC) a RoF of 10, range of 35 (30 for burst) and viola! you have a viable weapon that can chew up those pesky SEC that you have cluttering up the otherwise immaculate interior of your APC.

OTB
Hey, thats my idea.... Did I post about that weapen sometime?! Cuz thats excatly what I made almost 6 moths ago It used the Laserminiguns sound set. Really cool weapen actually.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Forty-six & Two wrote:Hey, thats my idea.... Did I post about that weapen sometime?! Cuz thats excatly what I made almost 6 moths ago It used the Laserminiguns sound set. Really cool weapen actually.
No, I can't recall you having posted about that earlier. I forgot to mention that it's funny to set the weapon's Special Damage to Radiation. :D

If you set the weapon's sound to either Laser, Plasma or EMP there are still burst sounds available for it, too.

I'd say that not having an E-SMG was a serious oversight in FoT's weapon catalogue.

OTB
Our Host!