Civ 4 - buggy piece of shit

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Tried it today, it's certainly slightly retarded. No bugs or anything, but the in-game movies are choppy and I invent mathematics out of nothing, faster than I can build a farm.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

That's what I thought, as well. Techs and units seems to replace each other at a frenzy rhythrmmeme
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

I suppose that Civ4 may be the only thing supporting the intelligent desing thingy, since its showing how fucked up chit gets when no thought is put into it.
Antimeasure
Strider
Strider

Post by Antimeasure »

i find it fun.. but some things are really lame, like the damn intro to evry game you play where the whole world is explained.. I experienced a ugly error with textures - probably because of my low ram though. The menu musik is great, even added it to my playlist... ^^ Fuck you.
I like my women as i like my whiskey. Twelve years old and mixed up with coke.
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

Still, production is so goddamn annoying. By the time an axe-man is completed, I'm in a new friggin superduper age with lazers and shotguns.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Maybe using the "Epic" mode would fix this? I guess I'll have to try it.
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

It wont. It just makes everything a tad slower. Actually, no, it makes production a tad slower.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Ugh, so it's even worse?
Last edited by S4ur0n27 on Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

S4ur0n27 wrote:even worst?
Why do you always have to use that expression?
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Sorry, it's a mistake! It's fixed D:
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Well, I've been playing Civ III PTW for quite a while now, picked it up again. Absolutely love the game. I have quite a bit of time in my hands now so I was thinking about trying Civ IV. I got it when it first came out and I thought that it was a pile of shit, but someone mentioned somewhere that it's not all that bad with all the expansions. So I put them in my "order" list, Civ IV as well as the two expansions.

Is it worth it? Have they improved the game enough?

Oh and I never played AC, is it that good? Judging from this thread, yes. Yay or nay?

Should I just play AC instead of III / IV ?
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

It's funny you should bring back this ancient thread, because I was wondering the same thing. I gave up on Civ4 so long ago. Never saw the more modern techs or even the hyped up nuclear weapons. Did anything in the last 2 years make it good?
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

I spose the consensus is that CivIV is dumbed down but it has its moments - like the units' development/advancement/perk system.

SMAC is probably the best TB strategy I've ever played: all the mechanics you'd expect from this genre and moreover an absolutely superb story (computer games with a story similarly good are few and far between, it's the first league really).
The only thing about AC that you might not like is setting - it is sci-fi/space setting, so it's about personal taste and prefference as usual in this case. There's also sated grafix but that's another kettle of fish and DACers aren't usually the people to bitch about dated graphics.
Urizen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Urizen »

i liked the expansion pack, beyond the sword. it gives you more diplomatic and cultural options, which i love, but it still isn't worth your money because of all the bugs. i skipped civIII - should i try that instead?
sarge112
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by sarge112 »

Nicolai wrote:Image
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

sarge112 wrote:
Nicolai wrote:Image

QFE
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Urizen wrote:i liked the expansion pack, beyond the sword. it gives you more diplomatic and cultural options, which i love, but it still isn't worth your money because of all the bugs. i skipped civIII - should i try that instead?
Civ III Play The World is the best one in the series. Althought I haven't really played the games a lot. IV when it came out and it was shit. I played II when I was really young and didn't know what the fuck I was doing.

Anyway, give Civ III Play The World a go, it's the best expansion.

And 1000 POSTKAUNT, level up ^_^
PiP

Post by PiP »

Urizen wrote:i liked the expansion pack, beyond the sword. it gives you more diplomatic and cultural options, which i love, but it still isn't worth your money because of all the bugs. i skipped civIII - should i try that instead?
yeah civ3 is great. Some people say it's not as good as civ2 (eg. Kashluk I think) but I played all of them (civ1,2,3,SMAC) and gotta say civ3 is a great civ game, perhaps a bit harder than civ2. And it has more detailed grafix! :drunk:
Oh and it's definitely not dumbed down like IV.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Civ IV, with the two expansions and the latest patch(already a few months old), has nearly no bugs and it's extremely fun when played on Marathon speed.

Playing in Marathon mode makes a huge difference, it becomes more strategy and management oriented.
Our Host!