Armour ideas

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Armour ideas

Post by Megatron »

Post your armour ideas here (you dont need to post all the stats, just the ac) I put descriptions for things that havent ben in previous games. I didnt add the mark 2 of the armour, but if there is another version it would add around 2-5 armour class on)

Normal Clothes(ac2)-Over you vault suit you just wear a jacket and some pants

Leather Jacket (ac5)

Padded Trenchcoat(ac7)-good for hiding guns (adds inventory capacity)

Leather armour(ac10)

Mirrored plate(ac10) cracks easily with bullets, but any energy weapons or plasma projectiles bounce off

Bullet-proof vest(ac12)-a bullet-proof vest

Metal armour(ac15)

Metal armour with magnetic field(ac17) you have incorporated a huge magnet onto your armour, so some attacks swerve out of the way

Telsa armour(ac15)

Damaged combat armour(ac19) some combat armour with the wasit plate and helmet missing.

Chem suit(ac20) a suit that inserts hypodermics and tubes into your body and constantly pumps you up with drugs. These increase a stat based on what kind of suit it is (you cant get addicted to it, but taking it off hurts a little due to all the tubes and needles sliding out)

Enviromental armour(ac25)

Assasin armour(ac23) increases your stealth skill a lot, and increases accuracy on rifles and damage on melee weapons

Symbiote(ac27) an insect you attach to your spine increases your agility and perception, and also wraps a protective layer of skin around you (like a cocoon

Combat armour(ac30) this time adds protection around the legs

Power armour(ac35)

Power armour 2(ac40)

Power armour 3a-Mantis(ac 30) this suit of armour clings close to your body, then inserts rods into your arms and legs. This suit increases your agility by a lot, and your strengh by one, but it also has two arms hanging above the wearers shoulders that end in long knives (added melee attack)
The mantis also can leap higher than a normal human, and can jump up to 2 storys high.

Power armour 3b-Roach(ac50) the roach is meant to be capable of standing a nuclear blast, but was never tested. The roach is a huge bulky suit of armour, and has a light machine gun on one shoulder (doesn't fire automatically like the mantis' claws) The roach also can go into 'scurry' mode, when suit transforms into a vechile about the size of a car (when you cross the wasteland, no one attacks you because they think you are a huge critter)
:chew:
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

hasnt all this wierd crap been brought up before?

i like the armor that they have now... just 1 more suit of PA, and a ton of variations in between robes to power armor should do.... dont improve the best armor too much, it will make the game suck, or be nearly impossible without it. you know?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Symbiote ???

One thing about armors, I'd like to get the best armors as late as possible in the game. Like in previous Fallouts, when you got a metal armor or a power armor for the first time it was a nice achievement. Getting new and better armors/weapons should give the player a 'wow, this is cool' reaction. I don't think an item system like in Diablo/Dungeon Siege with several variations of an item(different bonuses, like +1dexterity, +5 armor class crap) and that you find new better armors every 15mins of gameplay, I personally don't like that. Power armors should be rare, sought items and only one or two of them should exist in the entire game.
Ghetto Goose
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Ghetto Goose »

i love that setup. i say i should be copied directly. maybe a few additions. but the roach suit would be kick ASS!
Shards
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Shards »

I like the Roach idea... It needs a bit of twaeking though. Just had to add that.
BlacKnight
SDF!
SDF!

Post by BlacKnight »

Modular armour ideas can also be interesting. You know like wearing multiple items like a helmet and vest and coat, allows for mixing and matching. You could limit certain combintations or render them impposible by simply making them have to be put on the same arm (impposible).

I also like the idea of injuries bleeding to add new properties of weapons, medicine and armour ie some armour (like PA) makes it more difficult to get to a wound to stem bleeding.

Damaging armour could also add. Each armour could have two parts to their armour, damage is subtracted first from the "surface" value and the remainder halved and removed from the "endo" value. Surface value regenarates every turn (it represents weaking armour by shots landing on the same spot) three assualt rifle firing SIMOLTAENEOUSLY on the same spot does more damage then stagering them across several turns. The endo value change is permanent (represents actuall damage devaluing your armour) makes you think twice about what to shoot at someone if you want their armour.
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

i dont like the idea of roach armour. you're going away from the ethos of fallout. this is fallout, 1950's based retro-future not transformers.

combination armour is a good idea. different torsos to different leggings. helmets etc. opens the way for more tactical fighting with aimed shots on weaker armour areas.

I just want them to bring back combat armour.
"And when he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
one more soldier reporting, Sir.
I've served my time in hell."
Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of War.
Frost
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Frost »

how about having a blacksmith or something so you can goto him and if you have the right items or whatever he can enhance it or give it some perks
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

then we can have unidentified items and a blacksmith called charsi and she can use the harrodric hammer to imbue your shit with magic...

no wait that's diablo 2.

a gunsmith would be more useful. the addition of things to weapons was already in fallout: the low light sight for FnFal etc.

this should be continued into more customizeable guns in fo3.

oh, and onto the idea of armour mounted weapons, big NO from me. why dont you just go play AvP if you want a shoulder cannon. personally i think being able to use vehicles with mounted weapons would be nice. like a browning m2 on a hummer.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

i agree with FireWolf on most things...
and this is yet another!

i think that you could like... find different parts of the combat armor (first suit) throughout 1 area (like an abandoned/taken over shop/store/garage)
and that would be your main reward for killing the raiders/animals that are in it.

the seperate parts for armor are a great idea:

:you see bandit
: he is wearing combat armor and a baseball cap
: he is armed with a desert eagle
:bandit is hit for 62 damage
: peircing his armor (hat) and
: blowing his brains everywhere
:you gain 200 exp for defeating you enemies
: through exploitation of armor weaknesses

mmm... but that would be pretty hard to script.. maybenot?
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

oh...

and i played diablo2 for a wile. kinda "the idiot's game"

it required NO skill, unlike its predisesor (Diabo)

i will only see if i want to continue playing that game if patch 1.10 screws it up completely... like 1.08 did. I like that...

it makes all those fags with high end shit suck cause their stupid cows arent there to slaughter anymore!! mwahahah!

er..em.. sorry
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

Yeah, this is fallout discussion not D2 :P

Well its odd to have someone actually agree with me for once. I've had another idea :idea:

When you fight someone they wear armour from the game which you can wear (supposing your character has the necessary legs/arms/body and the like) If you kill this guy by a shot to the head you can take the armour he was wearing. however, you cannot take the helmet (going back to my helmet/torso/pants/boots idea) because you blew it away. If you cut them in half with a mini-gun you dont get the torso but get the helmet and so on.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Heheh, getting into details are we?

I like that idea. And if you use rocket launcher... well... your loss :P

Another idea about armors. Should they have 'hitpoints'? For example if you get critically shot/hit by a sledgehammer, your armor gets damaged a bit. This can be repaired by a gunsmith or maybe using Repair skill. Other items could also be damaged, weapons too. And it would make the Repair skill more useful.
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

there has to be sacrifices for using massive weapons. plus the idea of durability (taken from D2 but expanded upon) is a good one i feel. ads more realism and more involvement to a character. would be nice to watch someone's helmet get shot off.
Ghetto Goose
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Ghetto Goose »

i think all things you kill should have an armor of some kind you can take. like, you kill a molerat, and you loot his body, you can take his fur. or you kill some average guy and you can get his clothes. this opens up another area of skill: disguise.
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

yeah see ghetto wants to take people's clothes off... man you're sick lol
Ghetto Goose
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Ghetto Goose »

you had to take THAT option of reply instead of making an intelligent post about how disguising would/wouldn't work? i smaxx0rz you.

*smaxx0rz him*
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

*smaxxors gg back*

well its true. you do want to remove people's clothes. personally I do not wish to see what a Ghoul looks like naked.

back on topic:

Headlights. you must have a light on your armour so you can see who you're treading on. day/night cycle would have to be good.
Ghetto Goose
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Ghetto Goose »

how about handy little gadgets built into the suit?

like a fire extinguisher, say to play the good guy and save people from a burning building, or to gain access to somewhere thats blocked off by fire?
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

or you could just walk through the fire. its PA afterall. why would a soldier have firefighting equipment?
Our Host!