How serious do you take school?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

a shining lighthouse of patriotism in an otherwise pitch black sea of buttfuck :salute:

I have a porblem guys. I've been moved to this other group full of idiots and shit and college isnt fun any more. I want to go back to good ol' days but because my work and there work has improved they're not letting me. And I can't slack off since I'll get retired...dead tired! So the only thing I can really do is slug it out for another 2 months with braindead fucks, but I can't as I'll snap and go crazy.

help me help you help yourself.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Well, that's what you get when you assault your fellow students. :rofl:
baby arm
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by baby arm »

Just make new friends. Image
skin loves <a href="http://www.tacticularcancer.com">godless children</a>
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

nah there idiots. I think ill just...wait until summer? hurray.

kill me
:chew:
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

Megatron wrote:kill me
I hear baby arm has a brother that would probably be glad to help with that.
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
Phias
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Phias »

I take school pretty seriously, although I am wondering why this is so.

Most of my classes are rather pointless.
Endure. In enduring, grow strong.
vendetta
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by vendetta »

The only one that kept me interested this semester was winter camping. Sleeping in igloos and shit for a whole weekend, yeah.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I take school rather seriously myself... I've been succesful and I'm happy about it. My grades are excellent, but I don't stress that much about the whole thing. It's just school - it's much easier to triumph with books, formulas and memorized facts than to cope with real life. Having done great in school doesn't really mean shit in the big picture.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Jesus Christ wrote:
baby arm wrote:If you care about the subject, read the whole book and go to every lecture. Take advantage of the time and learn as much as you can. If you don't care, just do the minimum to get by.
Good advice, you'll notice that I left out the second half of the quote. The second part was bad advice.

It all boils down to this. Are you going to continue studying the subject later? Are you ever going to need the subject for future career plans? If you answered no to the preceding questions than it is OK to just float, otherwise you had better study your ass off.
Realistically, unless you are going to work, in say, one of those wonder bubbles in which the outside world has no effect, you will learn everything to need to know for a job in the workplace.

All school does is give you enough background knowledge to understand what is actually going on. And one of those pretty pieces of paper people seem to love.

Don't tell your parents though, they will cry because they spent 100,000 on your education so you can flash your piece of paper and say that you are better than other people.

Everyone who takes school seriously, please listen to this.

Why in the sweet fuck do you take school seriously?

Look around your class and tell me how many people are actually going to deserve the diploma they get when they graduate.
They get the same shiny piece of paper you get and it doesn't show the grade you pull.

Why the fuck do people waste their lives on school when there is so much life to actually live?
Why in the hell would you want to go to school for so long and get a job that consumes so much of your life that your job becomes your life?

What have you really accomplished?

Nevermind, you can't tell people how stupid they are, they have to figure it out for themselves.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Mandy, obviously, is about to break. I mean, maybe you just go to a really shitty school, right? I go to a reputable university and most of the people I meet (in my program, arts students are brain-dead) are really sharp.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
sprog
SDF!
SDF!

Post by sprog »

I understand where you're coming from with psychology, I find it a very dry subject for some reason. However, if you can force yourself to study it avidly while you must, I do not think you'll regret it. While it may not be "useful" to you in the long run, you may be glad that you didn't sleep through it.

Besides, don't you wanna know stuff?
Shut the fuck up Donny!
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

sprog wrote:I understand where you're coming from with psychology, I find it a very dry subject for some reason. However, if you can force yourself to study it avidly while you must, I do not think you'll regret it. While it may not be "useful" to you in the long run, you may be glad that you didn't sleep through it.

Besides, don't you wanna know stuff?
Will Hunting's (Matt Damon) debate words: ("Of course that's your contention. You're a first year grad student. You just got finished readin' some Marxian historian -- Pete Garrison probably. You're gonna be convinced of that 'til next month when you get to James Lemon, and then you're gonna be talkin' about how the economies of Virginia and Pennsylvania were entrepreneurial and capitalist way back in 1740. That's gonna last until next year -- you're gonna be in here regurgitating Gordon Wood, talkin' about, you know, the Pre-revolutionary utopia and the capital-forming effects of military mobilization... Wood drastically -- Wood drastically underestimates the impact of social distinctions predicated upon wealth, especially inherited wealth.' You got that from Vickers, 'Work in Essex County,' page 98, right? Yeah, I read that too. Were you gonna plagiarize the whole thing for us? Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter? Or do you...is that your thing? You come into a bar. You read some obscure passage and then pretend...you pawn it off as your own idea just to impress some girls and embarrass my friend? See, the sad thing about a guy like you is in 50 years you're gonna start doin' some thinkin' on your own and you're gonna come up with the fact that there are two certainties in life. One: don't do that. And two: You dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a f----n' education you coulda' got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library.")
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

APPLES.

Always about APPLES, Andrew. :drunk:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Kashluk wrote:I take school rather seriously myself... I've been succesful and I'm happy about it. My grades are excellent, but I don't stress that much about the whole thing. It's just school - it's much easier to triumph with books, formulas and memorized facts than to cope with real life. Having done great in school doesn't really mean shit in the big picture.
Aren't you supposed to have final exams and shit right now?
MFG9000 wrote:Realistically, unless you are going to work, in say, one of those wonder bubbles in which the outside world has no effect, you will learn everything to need to know for a job in the workplace.
I disagree, studying isn't only about the fancy theories and books. Hell, everyone can learn any job, but knowledge is what makes your contibution so speshul. You get a much broader view of the work compared to the suckers that start at the bottom, new contacts and ideas etc. Plus, you get a few extra years of fun and drinking instead of working 8-4 every day for the rest of your life.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Spazmo wrote:Mandy, obviously, is about to break. I mean, maybe you just go to a really shitty school, right? I go to a reputable university and most of the people I meet (in my program, arts students are brain-dead) are really sharp.
I am not going to break in the slightest.
I'm just stating what I have seen around me every year of this college bullshit fest.
My school isn't horrible but it ain't top of the line either.
I can't afford anything near the top because my family isn't rich and I ain't interested in going into debt 100,000 for a piece of paper.

I find most people in university are jaded to the outside world but maybe thats only the people I know.
I've worked in quite a few shops and such and the university students they hire are completely useless.
When you take the books away, they have no idea whats going on in a real industrial situation.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
DJ Slamák
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by DJ Slamák »

My classes this semester:

Spanish - beginner 2nd grade
Formal Logic
Economic Statistics
Financial Accounting
Information Systems
Public Finance
Banks, Money and Financial Markets
Information and Communication Systems

Exams I should have taken after this semester:

Calculus
Elementary Management, Marketing, and Corporate Economy (that's the one I failed this week, btw)
Accounting
Financial System
Statistics

And to save the best for last: I am officially studying IT.

Honestly, how seriously am I supposed to take this shit?
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I agree with you Mandarlian, but that piece of paper you get when you finish college is like the road to success. I don't take school serious in the manner that "I HAVE TO KNOW THIS FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE" its more like "GOD DAMNIT I WANT TO QUIT THIS SHIT BUT I HAVE TO DO IT TO BE SOMEONE." I'm pretty sure most parents with a brain, know this too.

College isn't really about what you learn its about your ability to learn and follow instruction. I know theres always going to be exceptions to the swell guy who get degress and don't know how to do anythig outside of school. They end up getting a degree and never really use it for anything.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

DJ Slam�k wrote:My classes this semester:

Spanish - beginner 2nd grade
Formal Logic
Economic Statistics
Financial Accounting
Information Systems
Public Finance
Banks, Money and Financial Markets
Information and Communication Systems

Exams I should have taken after this semester:

Calculus
Elementary Management, Marketing, and Corporate Economy (that's the one I failed this week, btw)
Accounting
Financial System
Statistics
That's not very different from my schedule. I've totally passed 3 out of 4 exams with virtually no effort this year. B)
DJ Slamák
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by DJ Slamák »

Motherfucker. :(
vendetta
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by vendetta »

What about the last one? You failed it?
Our Host!