Favorite canceled games

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

But way better than FO3's shitty plot.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Thor Kaufman wrote:that's even more stupid than the "stories" of the first and second part
What did you expect ? Something better ? Gods. :drunk:
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Most stories on paper are pretty lame. Its how they excute it that makes it count, i think.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Oh man, that crazy lady stuff reminds me of my youth.
vendetta
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by vendetta »

S4ur0n27 wrote:Shut up please.
Sorry, not planning to.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

How can you say Jefferson's story was lame when you don't actually know what it is? That's only the very beginning of it.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Naked_Lunch wrote:Wrongo!
Some Article on the Codex wrote:WW: There was a story going around that the plot was somehow connected to Terry Gilliam's movie "Brazil". Is this true and are you able to tell us anything about the plot of the game or about the areas you were working on?

DF: I know Josh was a fan of “Brazil,� and I know that there were ideas that were borrowed, but BG3’s story was original. As for plot, here’s the Cliff Notes version of Jefferson: You’re a wandering, non-chosen-one sap caught in a rainstorm. You seek shelter under a nearby tree adjacent to a dilapidated windmill. As you shiver next to a campfire, a crazy lady and here rogue minions crash your party chasing a large, black hound. An arrow kills the hound and it flops on your lap. The crazy lady, who looks like a cleric by the way she’s dressed, accuses you of being in cahoots with the hound and threatens to kill you as well. Luckily, Rides of Archendale(sp) come to your rescue and scare off the mad woman cleric. However, your troubles have just started because you’re hauled away for questioning. After a brief inquisition, the local magistrates tell you not to wonder far because they may have more questions. And so begins your adventures to find out who the mad cleric was, what this has to do with you, why a black spirit hound now follows you around, and why can’t people just leave you alone and do things for themselves.
Oh, I get it... PARIAH DOG! You Are Chosen! The Mad Cleric opened a Gate to a strange desert land after receiving a vision from a gelatinous creature that was part machine and spoke in at least two different voices. The creature spoke of a means of creating half-ogres from men of pure blood, much like the Cauldron of Arawn could spawn undead. The "hound" is a creature capable of bending Luck, which was drawn through the gate to fulfill Destiny. Perhaps the Pantaloons are also from this strange desert place, thus explaining their utility in creating the Big Metal Unit.
Alas! You must find the Suitcase of Revitalizing Dead Civilizations!
It has been tampered with, and its dispersed components must be reclaimed. YOU - The Chosen, must retrieve the Holy Parts.
These consist of : a Decanter of Endless Water, a Horn of Plenty, a Lyre of Building, Daern's Instant Fortress, a Saw of Mighty Cutting, a Mattock of the Titans, a Spade of Collossal Excavation, several barrels of Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments, a titan-sized Robe of Useful Items, a very special Bag of Beans, several Jugs of Alchemy, and a luckstone. Additional, optional items may also be acquired for activation of enhanced functions.
You, yes You - the Chosen, must do these things- not because they are easy, but because they are hard.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Spazmo wrote:How can you say Jefferson's story was lame when you don't actually know what it is?
With regard to plot, narrative and character motivation, Baldur's Gate I/II and the expansions were to me, banal, trite and uninspiring. I find it difficult to be convinced that they would abandon such a trend after so long and the realisation of a 'winning formula'. If it sells, don't change it, as they say. :drunk:
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

I was looking forward to Jefferson, and the prospect that the very same engine would be used on VB.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

johnnygothisgun wrote:I was looking forward to Jefferson, and the prospect that the very same engine would be used on VB.
I read somewhere that the engine was called "weezy".
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

I am still trying to figure out how you could connect a game plot to Brazil. I loved the movie and all, but seriously, it had no plot whatsoever.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Well, based on his ill advised changes (read: skull fuckings) to SPECIAL, J.E. Sawyer was clearly quite insane in the last days of Interplay and probably would have found some horrific way to do it.

RPG Codex
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

MadBill wrote:I am still trying to figure out how you could connect a game plot to Brazil. I loved the movie and all, but seriously, it had no plot whatsoever.
Um, what is this business about Brazil?
Like the stuff you do in the D&D world is equivalent to the delusions and hallucinations of the protagonist in Brazil?
Wierd cutscenes?
A split personality? Maybe your D&D chars are actually Tulpas - or become them? Then they can emerge in the "real" world for the EndGame?
Or do you jump back and forth?
Or something even more than that- a parallelism where some unconcious psychic(not a guy in a coma- someone who is psychic without knowing it) is making contact across the planes. Maybe he contacts different people and sets them off on trajectories which cause them to occaisionally collide and create synergistic effects. Maybe there is a Wizards Asylum type mission where you have to break some crazies out of a fortress in order to do something/obtain special information. Maybe eventually one of the Primary Contactees starts body-swapping with the guy from "Our World".
Both are committed/sent to secret research facilities as if they were captured Greys/captured whatevers. You have to get them out, and as a special twist you need to swap different party members into different bodies in order to defeat the enemy security systems/etc. Like a Magic-Jar spell combined with Body Sympathy or whatever.

Like Planescape combined with The Longest Journey and some other stuff.
I was thinking a body-swapping sequence like the split-party puzzle in the Sleeper Base in Wasteland.

Nah, never happen.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

Spazmo wrote:Well, based on his ill advised changes (read: skull fuckings) to SPECIAL, J.E. Sawyer was clearly quite insane in the last days of Interplay and probably would have found some horrific way to do it.
could you be more specific? it's been some time now and I can't quite remember what changes JES made/was gonna make to SPECIAL, though I remember at leats some of them didn't sound all that 'insane'. Anyone a link to a list of changes? Perhaps an NMA boards thead? D;
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

The biggest and stupidest was this: Sawyer wanted four paths through the game. Combat boy, stealth boy, diplomat boy and science boy. But, he felt it would be iffy to have one skill that players could invest in and win the game with: Speech. So, he wanted to split speech up into something like Persuade and Intimidate. So far, not so insane. But then, he goes and merges small guns, big guns and energy weapons into a single skill (firearms), thereby making... one skill you can win the game with. The masses are baffled. Sawyer cackles.

RPG Codex
PiP

Post by PiP »

perhaps there was supposed to be at least one more skill you had to hone real good apart from Firearms in order to win the game. Somehow. :turd:
But the "4 paths to win" is overall good, goes without saying. Hard to implement and balance, mebbe.
Flotsam
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Flotsam »

System Shock 3.
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

After Thief 3 and Desu Ex: IW?

Never.
Serious Business.
Emn1ty
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Emn1ty »

Koki wrote:Mechwarrior 5.
I didnt know they were making one, that would have kicked serious butt. I have 2, mercenaries, vengence, and the two for the consoles. Mechwarrior is a great series.
Emn1ty (real word: emnity)- meaning confusion, dissoriented

"You are the cause that brings my death on me!"
-Canterbury Tales, Geoffrey Chaucer-
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Koki wrote:Never.
This man writes the truth.

Then there's Bioshock, don't yet know what to think of that, as such. :drunk:
Our Host!