Mesmerize

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Mesmerize

Post by satanisgreat »

I just bought and listened to the new System of a Down album, Mesmerize. It kicks ass. Everybody should run out and buy it right now.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

System of a Down? Thanks but no thanks. Pray tell, why do you think the album is good?
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Nu-metal? No way, mang.
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

atoga wrote: Pray tell, why do you think the album is good?
As stated earlier, because it kicks ass. It's hard to say why music is "good". Just buy it.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I watched the latest music video and it sucks the shat. The band went to shit after their first album, once they got popular.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

I'm not listening to any kind of recommendation from a guy who thought Doom 3 was good.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

System of a Down is for people with Down's... they should change their name to Syndrom of a Down. hehehe...

Who the hell likes "new metal" anyways? New metal is for swell guy, dont you know!?
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Subhuman »

Their new single is arguably the worst song ever written. Ever. It's jaw-droppingly awful in every conceivable way.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

ugh
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

I agree with Dan wholeheartedly...
satanisgreat wrote:
atoga wrote: Pray tell, why do you think the album is good?
As stated earlier, because it kicks ass. It's hard to say why music is "good". Just buy it.
No it's not. I thought you wrote reviews? Surely you can try and do justice to the album.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Excuse me, satanisgreat

I have heard parts of the album as well
Infact I would go so far as to say

You are very wrong, very, very wrong in your decision that it is good.

It is really very bad.

Also:

It is really shitty.

Thank you.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Can't you people write something coherent about why it's bad? Ugh. Y'know, defend your opinions or something in order to make your posts readable.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

It is far too political. The music is uninteresting, it jumps all over the place, some of it is entertaining because of its rediculousness but it is not "good."

Pop teenage politics in falsetto alternated with Jello Biafra-esque vocals and the odd heavy metal guitar riff has led me to believe that it is bad.
Naked_Lunch

Post by Naked_Lunch »

Mindless Self Indulgence is better.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

I think I can appreciate your sentiment.

Has anyone heard the new Adrian Belew album Side One? Anyone?... No...? Thought not...

:(
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

I should have expected as much from a forum where everyone loves Queen and techno.

Atoga, music reviews are laughable. There's no way to describe sound without sounding like an idiot or like you're just pulling words out of your ass and reading way too much into music. "The hazy narratives of frontman Serj reflect jaded anti-folk hipsters with sleepy vocals culled together with whirlwind, drug-fueled riffs." It's just stupid. Either something's good or it sucks. Mesmerize is good, Queen sucks.

It sounds like SOAD, only new. The single isn't the best song on the album, nor is that great, but it's fine when listened in conjunction with the rest of the CD. If you judge music by radio singles and music videos, you should just stop listening to music all together.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

This is a fantastic review site if you want a good model for criticism... it even has a System of a Down review, despite the genre-clashing. To a progressive music nerd such as myself, your grounds for criticism are more or less idiotic.

Queen and techcno? Bah, both are for simpletons D: Of course, the same is quite true for SOAD.
Last edited by atoga on Thu May 19, 2005 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naked_Lunch

Post by Naked_Lunch »

Queen sucks.
Fuck off.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

I never read music reviews, I just download a bunch of stuff and delete the bad chit. D;
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

While those are some good reviews, it just seems asinine to review music with words. Some people may be good at it, but even reading the good ones don't do justice to sound. Much better off listening to samples off Amazon or downloading a few songs on P2P programs in my opinion.
Our Host!