Silver Style Still Trying For Fallout 3

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Ooe
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Ooe »

Give the rights to Troika, dammit!
Hakke
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Hakke »

I think FO3 should be great if they invest time in it, I hate those small games with 1 or 2 towns. They should defenetly get some former BIS people from the fallout teams.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Hakke wrote:I think FO3 should be great if they invest time in it, I hate those small games with 1 or 2 towns. They should defenetly get some former BIS people from the fallout teams.
Awww, look at him, he's so cute! Naive, but cute.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I just got Silent Storm!!

As soon as I go back home from work I'll try it.
BlackDog
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BlackDog »

Ooe wrote:Give the rights to Troika, dammit!
a-fucking-men.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Heheheh.... Funny.

I just noticed that Silent Storm isn't called "SS" (surprise, surprise....), but it's called "S^2" :)

Wicked.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

did you like s2 then s27?
:chew:
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

EvoG wrote:OMG STAINLESS!! http://www.nival.com/eng/s2_info.html

Listen all of you...Silent Storm will REDEFINE how you think of tactical combat let alone turn-based games period. This game dethroned XCom as my all time fav tactical game. I have so many amazing experiences with this game, I'll have to share when I'm done.

No one who loves the genre should miss this...no one who's played it could poo-poo it with a straight face.
Looks cool. I might go see if I can buy it over the weekend.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

this thread is pretty farking hilarious. Yeah who better than a foreign dev house who's main credits are a diablo clone and a bargain bin tactics game to develop the next installment of a historic *RPG* franchise. I highlight RPG because this is probably one of toughest game genres to develop for the PC. I found it quite funny that someone in this thread said that if SS acquired the rights to FO that the old devs might be drawn to it. :hahano:

Probably one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. That might of been the case with a resume as paper thin as Pukie's but its not the case for guys like Fargo, Taylor, Cain, Boyarsky, and even the much lampooned MCA. In fact, now that I've mentioned those guys I should probably bring up the fact that all Silver Style is doing with their blind stabbing at a franchise is driving up the price for the companies who would better job with it. (Troika, Obsidian, InXile--in that order)

Companies that actually have folks who contributed to the original design process working for them. What you're proposing is much like the sequel to 2001: a space odyssey. Something that would probably generate a hearty W-T-F from fans of the original... not that FOBOS hasn't already accomplished that... but I'm going off on a rant on something that's not going to happen. Bottomline is, the asshats at SS are thumping the Fallout drum on their marketing campaign and its getting very farking annoying.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I'm pretty sure they are aware of that Kill.

EDIT : SS, as well as people here.
Bobbin
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Bobbin »

Killzig wrote:Yeah who better than a foreign dev house who's main credits are a diablo clone and a bargain bin tactics game to develop the next installment of a historic *RPG* franchise. I highlight RPG because this is probably one of toughest game genres to develop for the PC.
The first was a BG clone which was flawed. In fact as flawed as Stonekeep, the only RPG experience Tim Cain had before Fallout.

Killzig wrote:In fact, now that I've mentioned those guys I should probably bring up the fact that all Silver Style is doing with their blind stabbing at a franchise is driving up the price for the companies who would better job with it. (Troika, Obsidian, InXile--in that order)
Nice fact. I call it assumption and a pretty far-fetched one it is. It looks like you just make up stuff against SSE.
Killzig wrote:Bottomline is, the asshats at SS are thumping the Fallout drum on their marketing campaign and its getting very farking annoying.
From all the companies they are most likely to get the license. And if you call that a marketing campaign I don't know what you said about Enter the Matrix.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

From all the companies they are most likely to get the license.
:bang:

where the hell did you get that crazy idea? Just because Carsten said so in his e-mail? :lol:
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Bobbin wrote:
Killzig wrote:Yeah who better than a foreign dev house who's main credits are a diablo clone and a bargain bin tactics game to develop the next installment of a historic *RPG* franchise. I highlight RPG because this is probably one of toughest game genres to develop for the PC.
The first was a BG clone which was flawed. In fact as flawed as Stonekeep, the only RPG experience Tim Cain had before Fallout.
Moby Games wrote:Moby Games on Tim Cain: Best known as the producer, lead programmer and designer of Fallout (the 1997 RPG of the Year), Tim Cain has worked in the game industry since 1982. He started as a programmer on Grand Slam Bridge, published by Electronic Arts in 1985. After attending college and receiving a B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science, he worked at Interplay Productions from 1992 to 1998. In addition to Fallout, he was lead programmer on Bard's Tale Construction Set and Rags to Riches, and he also designed and programmed GNW, a user interface and OS-abstraction library, which supports Fallout, Star Fleet Academy, M.A.X., Atomic Bomberman, and several other Interplay titles. He also wrote critical error handling code for Stonekeep and digital sound mixing code for Star Trek 25th Anniversary CD-ROM edition. After helping to complete the initial design for Fallout 2, he left Interplay along with Leonard Boyarsky and Jason Anderson to form Troika Games.
So the only RPG experience he had at the time wasn't even RPG, it was critical error handling code!! The reality is that Mr C is a programmer and made a lot of good shit for Interplay well before he started on Fallout (as you can see). There's also the fact that the whole company (at that time anyway) had a whole bunch of people with a whole bunch of RPG experience.

However, I've never really personally bought the "experience counts" argument. Tim has "the knack". A few other designers have "the knack". Couple that with experience and a track record and you can build an impression on how good their next project might be.

Do I think Silver Style are doing anything but talking out of their arse about the FO license though? No. Interplay have said time and again that the Fallout license is not for sale. Sure, that might change, but Silver Style haven't reached any kind of agreement at this stage. I'll wait until that happens before worrying about it further.

Another point I like to make is that I don't like really bad English speaking foreign companies making English games. Think "All your base are belong to us" here. Behold --> Fallout 3!
Bobbin wrote:
Killzig wrote:In fact, now that I've mentioned those guys I should probably bring up the fact that all Silver Style is doing with their blind stabbing at a franchise is driving up the price for the companies who would better job with it. (Troika, Obsidian, InXile--in that order)
Nice fact. I call it assumption and a pretty far-fetched one it is. It looks like you just make up stuff against SSE.
Interesingly enough, history would prove this to be the case. Bidding wars have a tendency to drive prices up. Do you really have something that proves other-wise?
Bobbin wrote:From all the companies they are most likely to get the license. And if you call that a marketing campaign I don't know what you said about Enter the Matrix.
Yeah, Killzig called shit on this one. You swallowed the marketing campaign hook, line and sinker. Go buy "the Fall" now!!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Role-Player
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Role-Player »

DarkUnderlord wrote:So the only RPG experience he had at the time wasn't even RPG, it was critical error handling code!! The reality is that Mr C is a programmer and made a lot of good shit for Interplay well before he started on Fallout (as you can see).
As stated in the Troika site, Tim Cain "designed and programmed GNW, a user interface and OS-abstraction library utilized in many Interplay games. "
Your idols speak so much of the abyss, yet your morals only run as deep as the surface.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Hasn't he also worked on 2 games with troika since?
:chew:
Hertston
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Hertston »

Another point I like to make is that I don't like really bad English speaking foreign companies making English games
Yup... the world would be a much better place without Operation Flashpoint, IL-2 Sturmovik and Silent Storm... we could all play the much more innovative and original American games instead :eyebrow:
Bobbin
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Bobbin »

Hertston wrote:
Another point I like to make is that I don't like really bad English speaking foreign companies making English games
Yup... the world would be a much better place without Operation Flashpoint, IL-2 Sturmovik and Silent Storm... we could all play the much more innovative and original American games instead :eyebrow:
Not to forget Gothic, Mafia, Stalker, Max Payne, Outcast...
Role-Player
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Role-Player »

I believe the point were the problems in translation, not their qualities. The "all your base..." comment should have been a tip.
Your idols speak so much of the abyss, yet your morals only run as deep as the surface.
Bobbin
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Bobbin »

DarkUnderlord wrote:Do I think Silver Style are doing anything but talking out of their arse about the FO license though? No. Interplay have said time and again that the Fallout license is not for sale. Sure, that might change, but Silver Style haven't reached any kind of agreement at this stage. I'll wait until that happens before worrying about it further.
Time and time again? They rejected Tim Cain, otherwise they pretty much buried another Fallout on PC, so yes, that might change. And no, SSE didn't reach any kind of agreement, but I also don't think they pulled this out their arse. Why should they risk their integrity by telling stories?
DarkUnderlord wrote:Another point I like to make is that I don't like really bad English speaking foreign companies making English games. Think "All your base are belong to us" here. Behold --> Fallout 3!
I partially agree with you here. Playing Fallout in German was okay, but it felt much better playing the same game in english because it was the language the game was supposed to be. But on the other hand the translators of the german Fallout made a terrible job so I don't know how valid that is. I know of a whole lot of other translations that did the job very fine. I think you don't worry so much about the language but about the american feeling of Fallout. But considering games like Max Payne, GTA or Mafia there are a lot of games from foreign countries which had an american feeling to them.

Bobbin wrote:
DarkUnderlord wrote:Interesingly enough, history would prove this to be the case. Bidding wars have a tendency to drive prices up. Do you really have something that proves other-wise?
You see. Even works the other way around. No one can prove anything. To start a bidding war you need at least two bidding parties. For now I know only of one which is SSE.
DarkUnderlord wrote:Yeah, Killzig called shit on this one. You swallowed the marketing campaign hook, line and sinker. Go buy "the Fall" now!!
There are quite some aspects I criticize about The Fall - character models, interface graphics, pa atmosphere. I won't just go out and buy it, but there is a lot of stuff going for it. And quite some stuff brought in by the community (well, not DAC, suggestions from DAC are obviously not accepted ;)). I didn't swallow the marketing campaign (still don't know why you insist on calling this a campaign), but I honestly like the way the community is treated by SSE.
Slaughter
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Slaughter »

Role-Player wrote:I believe the point were the problems in translation, not their qualities. The "all your base..." comment should have been a tip.
In Norway, English is like our second language. You can strike a conversation with more or less any Norwegian in English. Point is that we rarely ask you "How is you?". And if Carsten is as uptaken of making a good Fallout 3 as he says (and I believe he is), he would probably have a US part of his team (ex. BIS people for instance) do the dialogue. He understands his limitations language wise, and have admitted as much.
Greetings from Olav (Staff at http://www.strategycore.co.uk , Slaughter)
Our Host!