Vivendi and Interplay have kissed and made up

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Kreegle
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Vivendi and Interplay have kissed and made up

Post by Kreegle »

<strong>[ -> N/A]</strong>

<a href="http://www.gamespydaily.com/">GameSpy Daily</a> reports:<blockquote><em>Vivendi Universal Games and Interplay, have resolved a lawsuit related to a distribution agreement between the two that went sour. Details on how the matter was settled out of court were not disclosed. VU Games will resume its distribution of Interplay's games including Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel in Asia Pacific and North America and any other Interplay titles in those regions until 2005. </em></blockquote>Wow, blimey! I didn't even know that they'd broken up! Shit, I didn't even know that Interplay were going to survive until 2005! Thanks for the tip, Matt.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Chuck and Herve have prolly been giving sexual payments to VU, since thats all they have now.

FRENCH+MEXICAN= HONOR
Dan_Wood
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Well, damn...

Post by Dan_Wood »

I still don't know why we shift all the shitty game houses over to someplace like Red Orb or Buena Vista... At least then we could use the 'It was published by <foo>, it _has_ to be crap,' as opposed to the crapshoot we always get.

Also, while we're at it, why not have ratings on games as to how bad they're going to suck...

I personally think FOT should have gotten the 'What Game? Expensive box' labeling...
Dan Wood

Nothing like a slow-moving localized apocalypse to really make you think about proper data backup procedures.
Ooe
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Ooe »

They've got to LOVE secrecy, those corpers, umm i mean *cough-cough*...
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Does this mean IPLY is going to, you know, not go belly up? D:
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Menno
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Menno »

atoga wrote:Does this mean IPLY is going to, you know, not go belly up? D:
I think it still can go belly up. VU is just doing the manufacturing/distribution until 2005. If the games still sell like shit (Run Like Hell, soon to be followed by F:BOS), I doubt Interplay can stomach the losses.

Which leads me to my question, if VU is pretty much performing the role of a publisher, what's the purpose of Interplay? I mean its not uncommon for a publisher to sign over it's publishing rights to another publisher for a game that's released in another region; but when you can't even publish and distribute a game in your own home territory, what use are you? I'm not an expert of the gaming industry, so I'm probably wrong, but when you're supposed to be a publisher, yet can't even publish your own game, isn't that a huge waste of money? Why not just sell off your gaming development houses and get out of the business.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Well, Menno, nobody--but nobody--can fuck things up like the Interplay-Titus bastard love child we have now. IPLY provides critical screwing up skills to the process. Besides that, the useless, inefficient middleman is a traditional part of any commerical process.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Menno
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Menno »

Spazmo wrote:Well, Menno, nobody--but nobody--can fuck things up like the Interplay-Titus bastard love child we have now. IPLY provides critical screwing up skills to the process. Besides that, the useless, inefficient middleman is a traditional part of any commerical process.
Haha, I understand now. Is Interplay the only company that gives 12-16 month development cycles for RPG's, where most RPG's now get around 2-3 years?
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Not quite. There's Atari, who expect a flawless, huge RPG in 18 months, but they're assholes, too.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

lol, Menno, I love your avatar. Techno-pirate!
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Interplay's last two RPGs, IWD2 and Lionheart, both flopped bigtime.

Frankly, I'm amazed Interplay might make it to 2004.
------------------
Bleusilences
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Bleusilences »

IWD 2 wasnt bad at all, but lioheart was a let down. Anyway, i knew interplay was in is last hours when bioware left. Does shiny have left too?
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Shiny? They sold Shiny. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason they made any profit in one of their financial quarters.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Bleusilences wrote:IWD 2 wasnt bad at all, but lioheart was a let down. Anyway, i knew interplay was in is last hours when bioware left. Does shiny have left too?
The sales figures for IWD2 were very, very low.

And Shiny, along with the Matrix license, got sold to Infogrames for $56M, but a lot of that went to pay back loans Interplay had gotten from various other companies to aquire and use the license.
------------------
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

Bleusilences wrote:IWD 2 wasnt bad at all, but lioheart was a let down. Anyway, i knew interplay was in is last hours when bioware left. Does shiny have left too?

IWD 2 had possibly one of the most shitty and disappointing endings in any game ive ever played.

i liked lionheart even though it was kind of linear and there were obvious bonus' for taking the warder class over the others.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Bleusilences
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Bleusilences »

I can't wait to see them sink like Apogee.
Our Host!