Previously Unlisted Special Encounter?

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Bottled Brain
SDF!
SDF!

Previously Unlisted Special Encounter?

Post by Bottled Brain »

Having purchased the Chinese version Fallout Tactics (published by Ubisoft here) and completed the single-player campaign, I decided to study some FAQs about the game to see what I had missed. In particular, I looked at the random special encounters. Having read Guiler's FAQ and a few websites on the topic, all of which described everything from the Mutant Brothers to the Nuka Cola Cyclist to the Pip Boy, I was surprised not to find a special encounter that I had come across.

The encounter goes as follows. My party appears in the middle of a small map. All around me are voices (appearing as overhead text) that repeatedly chant in Chinese, "Zou ba, zou ba." The meaning is a bit ambiguous to me as it can be either a polite "let's go" or a blunt "get out" message; the Chinese language is one of those that rely a lot on context. The speakers are invisible although their voices are all around my group, but they do show up as grey blips on my map radar.

The experience was surprisingly freaky as the voices appear everywhere around you, almost drowning the screen in text. The closest equivalent to this encounter I had read about is the Sixth Sense "I see dead brahmin" one. I am posting this to try to make some sense out of this experience. I think it may be possible that in this translation, certain special encounters from the normal version were overwritten because some of the in-jokes would be hard to understand in Chinese (such as, say, the Energiser Battery Bunny, which I've never seen on Chinese TV), so what I encountered was one of these replacements.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Wow, a chinese pirated copy. That is bizarre that they even took the time to translate the thing. Yeah, it's the energizer bunny special encounter. Even in the english version there are no visible bunnies because of copyright issues.
Soldier87

Post by Soldier87 »

Speaking of Special encounters, what is the point of the deathclaw liberation special encounter?
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

I got that one in my american version. Exept that they are saying something else... I'm pretty sure it is very similar though.

(they probably were saying "it keeps going... and going..." if the ghouls in the "matrix" power plant don't say it. I think I got them mixed up.)

If you forcefire at them, they die, but you can't leave the map!
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Soldier87 wrote:Speaking of Special encounters, what is the point of the deathclaw liberation special encounter?
Two things:
  1. Poking fun at radical environmentalists. Notice the woman in the encounter wants to let the DCs frollic was they would in nature, only to be killed by them when she releases them.
  2. It's a reference to Jane Goodall, an anthropologist and primatologist who is best known for her advocacy of protection for chimpanzees and her discovery that certain primates are in fact tool-users.
OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Soldier87

Post by Soldier87 »

o i mean it was pretty funny though! All those ppl care bout animals more than humans, she got hers. :)
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

She was a researcher, that doesn't mean that just because she happened to be researching a potentially deadly animal that she deserves to die.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Strapon2 wrote:...she happened to be researching a potentially deadly animal...
Hey, Goodall did a lot of work w/bonobos, which -- to borrow a philistine expression -- rock! Hands down the "coolest" primate/hominid in existance.

And anyone who thinks that Jane Goodall was some sort of "environmental wacko" should stay away from anything writen by Peter Singer. :lol:

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Nightkin244
Respected
Respected

Post by Nightkin244 »

That would be the energizer bunny Special encounter refrence
DJ Slamák
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by DJ Slamák »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:Wow, a chinese pirated copy.
Ubisoft makes pirate copies now?
Our Host!