DAMNIT!

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

DAMNIT!

Post by Max-Violence »

OK, so I'm starting to script Rebellion3, when I come across a small problem.

Going on what OTB said about actor's Tag Names "carrying over" from previous maps, I scripted a nice lil' conversation between Mel (the heroine of Rebellion) and an NPC.

Well, guess what? It don't freakin' work! I'm positive I didn't screw up - I scripted the conversation the EXACT same way as I did in Rebellion1 (e.g. the conversations between Mel and Fuego, Mel and Rob, Leroy and Dennis, etc.), and all those worked perfectly.

Without giving too much away (as if I haven't already), the conversation takes place between Mel and an NPC named (and Tagged) Tommy.

All of Tommy's lines work (i.e. he says 'em), but Mel doesn't say a damn thing! I've also added some "Center View" actions after each speech line (so that the screen only goes back and forth between Mel and Tommy like it should do automatically), and the ones that should center on Mel don't do anything!

It's as if the game "forgot" Mel's tag name... damnit!

HELP!
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Not sure what you are getting at here MV. Are you meaning to say that you are playtesting it as a campaign and that when you go from Reb2 directly to Reb3 in the campaign, it isn't working? How about if you just place Mel directly in the mab for Reb3? Does that work?

If you are playtesting it as a single mission it shouldn't matter, it will work the same as in any other single mission unless you are having a trigger foulup. I am having plenty of those but I am thinking it's a matter of misusing the mission variable to trigger certain speeches.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Rebellion is a campaign, therefore, I can't just put an character that the PCs already have (Mel is the first one you get in Rebellion1 - I thought you played it?). If I do, there'll be 2 Mel's in the game, and that just ain't gonna work.

I rrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaalllllllyyyy need this to work... I've planned the rest of this entire campaign (this map, the next one, and the one after that) revolving around being able to get the PC characters to say stuff.

Granted, I could combine the speech nodes into one, like this:

The way I want it to be:

M01_Mel-Tommy_1 = {AAA}
M01_Tommy-Mel_1 = {BBB}
M01_Mel-Tommy_2 = {CCC}
M01_Tommy-Mel_2 = {DDD}

The way it might have to be:

M01_TommyWindow = {Mel: AAA\n\n

Tommy: BBB\n\n

Mel: CCC\n\n

Tommy: DDD\n\n

I really don't want to have to do that... but if I have to, I have to... but I don't wanna!

Arg...
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

I don't know what to tell you, Max. This method has worked for me every time I've tried it. This includes things like item tagnames to satisfy possession requirements, as well as actor tagnames that triggered things like forced speech and change player/team triggers.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

OnTheBounce wrote:I don't know what to tell you, Max.
Well, you could start by saying where you tagged the entity - level editor, entity editor, or both? I tagged Mel in both spots (damn, that sounded dirty... :mrgreen:). I'm 100% positive my trigger is fine - all of the actions go off except for Mel's speeches (Tommy's speeches, the adding of objectives, etc.).

Hmmm... maybe it's messed up because I have an extra /core/ folder? I doubt it, but it's the only thing that I can think of...

Well, it looks like I get to redo the way I have the entire mission set up. Yippie!
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Max-Violence wrote:Well, you could start by saying where you tagged the entity - level editor, entity editor, or both?
In the case of recruits, they were tagged in the Level Editor. They were never placed on a map, but rather picked up from the Recruits Master. In the case of items, I tagged them in the Level Editor and - if they were not contained in something's inventory - the Level Editor as well.
Max-Violence wrote:I tagged Mel in both spots (damn, that sounded dirty... :mrgreen:).
Er...Vasoline is a petroleum product and therefore not available in the FO universe...
Max-Violence wrote:I'm 100% positive my trigger is fine - all of the actions go off except for Mel's speeches (Tommy's speeches, the adding of objectives, etc.).

Hmmm... maybe it's messed up because I have an extra /core/ folder? I doubt it, but it's the only thing that I can think of...
You might be on to something here. Especially if all of your triggers are executing except your speech-related ones.

OTB
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

OnTheBounce wrote:In the case of recruits, they were tagged in the Level Editor. They were never placed on a map, but rather picked up from the Recruits Master.
Um, what? How can recruits who are not placed on a map Tagged in the level editor (of which edits MAPS)?
OnTheBounce wrote:In the case of items, I tagged them in the Level Editor and - if they were not contained in something's inventory - the Level Editor as well."
Uh... are one of those "Level Editor"'s supposed to be an "Entity Editor"?

Or are you just pullin' my leg? Either way, I'd like a straight answer. This stuff is too important to be joking around. Any other time is fine for jokes.

"Duhhhhhhhh hwo do i maek maps 4 fot duhhhhhhhhh"*

*Not to be taken seriously. At all.
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Jesus H. Christ!

Sorry about that Max. I spent all day yesterday waiting around for tires to get slapped on my car and missed out on my morning sleep. I was really tired when I posted that and completely screwed it up.

Here's how it should have read:

In the case of recruits, they were tagged in the Entity Editor. They were never placed on a map, but rather picked up from the Recruits Master. In the case of items, I tagged them in the Entity Editor and - if they were not contained in something's inventory - I double-checked them in the Level Editor.

Sorry about that. I wasn't pulling your leg, just too tired to catch my own mistakes.

OTB
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Heh, yea, I figured you were posting under distress or something ;)

That's exactly how I tagged my actors... doesn't work...

Guess I'll just have to wait till I'm done with Rebellion to see if my folders are the problem... :(
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Our Host!