Soap operas and reality TV - what's the big f**king deal??

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

Big Brother: Bollocks or Brilliant??

Poll ended at Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:40 pm

It's BOLLOCKS!
81%
It's BRILLIANT!
No votes
I live in a septic tank and have no idea what you're referring to...
19%
Other - please give details.
No votes

Total votes: 16

Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Soap operas and reality TV - what's the big f**king deal??

Post by Viktor »

Is it just me or does anyone else fail to see the appeal of such shows???

Myself and Mrs. Viktor hardly ever see each other in the evenings when Big Brother and Eastenders are on as I don't see the point of it at all and go off to play FO:T and CS.....

As someone who has plenty of REAL stuff to occupy my time (work/money/kids/tax returns/friends/PC games/etc...), why am I even remotely expected to give a flying f**k about the lives of fictional characters in a soap opera or a group of attention seeking c**ts who've allowed themselves to be locked up and constantly monitored for 10 weeks????
Chris(is evil)
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Chris(is evil) »

i cant stand big brother. Its boring and unfunny
Crow of Ill Omen
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Crow of Ill Omen »

They're aimed at people whose methods of occupying time include watching TV. I don't like Big Brother either. The only time people like that enter my reality is when a group of drama students get drunk on the table next to mine in the pub.
Sqawk
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

I voted IT'S BOLLOCKS!

I usually watch 2, 3 sometimes 4 hours of TV a week, unless there's some big event like the World Cup on. I've watched, all put together, about 1 hour of Big Brother, and for me that's 55 minutes too much. Cram a bunch of attention whores in a building, and watch them! Ooohh, the excitement is unbearable. OMG u can c them nude in da shower, OMG OMG OMG.

Most TV is pointless drivel in my opinion, with very few exceptions.
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

Crow of Ill Omen wrote:They're aimed at people whose methods of occupying time include watching TV. I don't like Big Brother either. The only time people like that enter my reality is when a group of drama students get drunk on the table next to mine in the pub.
Hopefully, you do the decent thing and kick the shit out of them!!
Crow of Ill Omen
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Viktor wrote:
Crow of Ill Omen wrote:They're aimed at people whose methods of occupying time include watching TV. I don't like Big Brother either. The only time people like that enter my reality is when a group of drama students get drunk on the table next to mine in the pub.
Hopefully, you do the decent thing and kick the shit out of them!!
Generally I just sit there resenting the fact they're better looking and have more money than me, waiting for the day guns become legal over here.
Sqawk
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Vote: It's Bollocks!!!

I think that Big Brother and shows like it are a sign that people lead boring and uninteresting lives and have to rely on mass media for stimulation. Note all of the people that said things along the lines of, "It looked like something out of an action movie," when the WTC was hit. I'm beginning to wonder if people are cognizant that they are watching actual persons on these shows.

BTW Viktor, if the missus is distracted by the televisor and this allows you some time to yourself in order to game and it doesn't cut into your "growing closer" - to use a Heinleinism - I wouldn't bitch. ;)

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

Crow of Ill Omen wrote:
Generally I just sit there resenting the fact they're better looking and have more money than me, waiting for the day guns become legal over here.
In England, drama students are officially classed as vermin and can therefore be killed legally by trapping, poisoning and shooting. Some old fashioned pubs do insist on them being sodomised to death with pool cues in the tradional East End manner.
Crow of Ill Omen
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

The trouble is, they're in a group and I'm on my own, and all that dance class makes some of them into strapping lads. Serves me right for drinking around Chelsea, I suppose.
Sqawk
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

ONly thing I watch on TV is a movie here and there, some late night cartoons on "Teletoon" on weekends, Discovery and TLC.

What I really hate is the damn commercials... I wish my digital tuner could at least lower the volume on them.
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

Crow of Ill Omen wrote:The trouble is, they're in a group and I'm on my own, and all that dance class makes some of them into strapping lads. Serves me right for drinking around Chelsea, I suppose.
By the number of drama students allowed out during daylight, I take it you mean the King's Road, rather than Stamford Bridge.....
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

If they did it differently it would be a good show:

First everyone is mentally un-stable, and the actual house has plain grey walls, small windows and a small bedroom and no toilet. Each week they get rations, except it misses out one person so they have to fight over it or something. Also each week instead of the stupid 'tasks' the house is set on fire, rabid dogs are sent into the house, or they aren't allowed to sleep (something similair] and finally instead of the evictions, they are dropped into a maze and given knives and stuff and blood has to be slipt on the floor for them to go back in the house.

All I watch on T.V is cartoons.
:chew:
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

Pyro wrote:If they did it differently it would be a good show:

First everyone is mentally un-stable, and the actual house has plain grey walls, small windows and a small bedroom and no toilet. Each week they get rations, except it misses out one person so they have to fight over it or something. Also each week instead of the stupid 'tasks' the house is set on fire, rabid dogs are sent into the house, or they aren't allowed to sleep (something similair] and finally instead of the evictions, they are dropped into a maze and given knives and stuff and blood has to be slipt on the floor for them to go back in the house.
Now THAT'S a show I'd watch!!!
Crow of Ill Omen
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Viktor wrote:
Crow of Ill Omen wrote:The trouble is, they're in a group and I'm on my own, and all that dance class makes some of them into strapping lads. Serves me right for drinking around Chelsea, I suppose.
By the number of drama students allowed out during daylight, I take it you mean the King's Road, rather than Stamford Bridge.....
I'll let you in on one of football's best kept secrets: most of the crowd at Stamford Bridge is made up from those drama students. The club's reputation for trouble is based mainly on catty remarks about the opposition away kits.
Sqawk
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I'm not sure, but I think our Canal+ offers us a channel called "Big Brother"... Haven't watched it, so I don't really know what the fuck it is about. But anyways, the NAME sounds nice :?
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

Crow of Ill Omen wrote: I'll let you in on one of football's best kept secrets: most of the crowd at Stamford Bridge is made up from those drama students. The club's reputation for trouble is based mainly on catty remarks about the opposition away kits.
I'm telling all my Arsenal fan mates that! Should make their next match quite entertaining.....
Wesley Sonck
SDF!
SDF!

Re: Soap operas and reality TV - what's the big f**king deal

Post by Wesley Sonck »

Viktor wrote:
As someone who has plenty of REAL stuff to occupy my time (work/money/kids/tax returns/friends/PC games/etc...), why am I even remotely expected to give a flying f**k about the lives of fictional characters in a soap opera or a group of attention seeking c**ts who've allowed themselves to be locked up and constantly monitored for 10 weeks????

Well, just like Pop Music, the TOP 40 Charts and Old Folks Homes, these things exist to keep the masses stupid and easy to control. I take some pride in that i have never EVER watched a reality program.

That might have sounded a bit Deus-Ex like paranoid, but, it could be right>>> who knows?
ImageImageImage
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

Who answered "I live in a septic tank..."????
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

me

:chew:
Chris(is evil)
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Chris(is evil) »

talking of shit shows what survivour series are we on now? it seems that these shows are getting shitter and shitter
Our Host!