The Most Nihilistic Album of 94-95

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.

Which album is the most Nihilistic ever!?

The Downward Spiral-Nine Inch Nails
71%
Antichrist Superstar-Marilyn Manson
29%

Total votes: 7

Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

The Most Nihilistic Album of 94-95

Post by Janus Matchell »

Ok recently I was thinking and I wondered if The Downward Spiral by NIN kicks the dog shit out of Antichrist Superstar by Marilyn Manson. Or maybe is it the other way around. Either album is good but I feel that personally that TDS kicks infinitely more ass than ACSS because of the lyrical content (self destruction) and awesome music (Heresy and The Becoming). Now that I have stated my opinion then you state yours.
ACSS is good lyrically and musically but not at the particular level that TDS was
Discuss.

And before I forget if any of you can fully explain that ACSS is better than TDS that would be great.

EDIT:It doesn't matter which one sucks it matters that which one is the lesser of crappy.
Last edited by Janus Matchell on Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ignore my warnings and pay no heed then your live will be ended shortly indeed!
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

... Nine Inch Nails?

Marylin Manson?

They both suck.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

How about The Division Bell, which was actually okay?
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.

Post by Guest »

Downward Spiral, for sure. At least Antichrist Superstar has a sense of humor.
Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

yup

Post by Janus Matchell »

I see your point about ACSS having a sense of humor but TDS is more atmospheric ans the lyrics match the songs perfectly which is an added bonus for points when comparing TDS and ACSS.
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

atoga wrote:How about The Division Bell, which was actually okay?
The Division Bell was okay, but it's the worst Floyd album I've heard.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Antichrist Superstar sounds way better in my ear than any NIN.

Although NIN made a few good songs.

Post by Guest »

Janus wrote:TDS is more atmospheric ans the lyrics match the songs perfectly which is an added bonus for points when comparing TDS and ACSS.
I agree - I thought we were discussing which album was the most nihilistic/depressing, not the best. I think TDS is the better album overall, but I'm not a huge fan of it.

As far as Marylin Manson goes, I prefer Mechanical Animals.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

NIN can be OK I guess, but Manson? What, are you all 14 year olds who think you're goth and anti-establishment?

EDIT: also moved to the appropriate forum.

Post by Guest »

Teatime wrote:What, are you all 14 year olds who think you're goth and anti-establishment?
Okay, way to be condescending. Just because someone likes Marylin Manson doesn't make him/her a poser. Shut up.
Aneurysm
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Aneurysm »

Not in this case ma hombre.
:dead: In remembrance of Porcu :dead:

Post by Guest »

Actually, yes in this case. I like Marylin Manson for his music, not his supposed "rebelliousness" or his goth leanings. Sometimes it really is just about the music, yo. Do you think only goths listen to the Cure?

That said, Manson's cover of "Personal Jesus" blows monkey chunks. But that's off-topic.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Manson's music rocks. He looks like a OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone, and most of his fans are angsty gay goth teens, but his music is good. His first album is the best IMHO. American Family reminds me of Iggy Pop's Raw Power.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

I maintain Manson sucks, but I admit it is because of the image he chooses to portray, and the fans he has. I have no desire to listen to enough of his music to form an opinion on that in isolation.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Lunchmeat wrote:
atoga wrote:How about The Division Bell, which was actually okay?
The Division Bell was okay, but it's the worst Floyd album I've heard.
Division Bell is better than the recorded stuff on Ummagumma, I think, but that's about it. Cluster One is pretty cool, though.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

How the fuck can any type of music be classified as nihilistic?
Its all systematic and made in sound studios.
Its all part of an overall system run by the rich and famous, so doesn't that totally invalidate the point of this thread.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:

Post by Guest »

....Yes. Absolutely. Because Lord knows, you can't make depressing music in a studio.

I honestly wonder why you're still here.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Yeah, but it's far from "nihilistic". If you want nihilism, go to Sweden, become an acid addict, and join a jazz band; otherwise, shut up.

Nihilism is idiocy, regardless, but the point is that this stuff is illegitimate nihilism.
Janus Matchell
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

tardackle!!!

Post by Janus Matchell »

Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD wrote:How the fuck can any type of music be classified as nihilistic?
Its all systematic and made in sound studios.
Its all part of an overall system run by the rich and famous, so doesn't that totally invalidate the point of this thread.
It is the album not the music pay particular attention to the lyrics and you will see what I am talking about there MFG. This thread isn't completely invalidated either as it is asking a question to those who know what I am talking about. The topic happens to be which album is more nihilistic not which music is more categorized. Get it now?
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Neither is nihilistic, but Manson > NIN.
Our Host!